Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The eight after eight rounds

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:29 pm
Post subject: The eight after eight roundsReply with quote

iirc, history tells us that the top eight after round eight invariably forms the final eight. there is usually an exception or two. the top eight for now is:

freo
eagles
sydney
gws
collingwood
adelaide
hawthorn
welfare.

richmond can move to eighth if they beat port and welfare loses to the dees tomorrow. geelong and north sit on 4 wins, the same as the hawks and welfare. richmond, essendon and port are next on three wins. two of those can move to four wins.

without assessing each teams fixture it will be interesting to see how it all pans out and how much the eight changes. this year, i think it will only take 12 wins to make the final eight and percentage will be the differentiator.

[/list]

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no chance the 8 remains unchanged this year. A lot of difficult games have been front loaded for the better teams and this imbalance has skewed the landscape. I think the Pies, Giants, Dogs and possibly Eagles will all miss.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:35 pm

We are the Top Vic Side Shocked

We are no Certainties to make the 8

mackasmatt 

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:36 pm

Let's talk after games against North, Melb and GWS.
----------
------------
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:45 pm

mackasmatt wrote:
Let's talk after games against North, Melb and GWS.

i wanna talk now. defeats the thrust of the thread talking in three weeks' time.

can we win six of our last 11 games? i am going to take into account winning one of the next three.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:17 am

I'll take that!
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:11 am
Post subject: Re: The eight after eight roundsReply with quote

John Wren wrote:
iirc, history tells us that the top eight after round eight invariably forms the final eight. there is usually an exception or two.

If there is usually - or indeed even only sometimes - an exception or two, then it can't be "invariable". Look it up.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:11 am

John Wren wrote:
iirc, history tells us that the top eight after round eight invariably forms the final eight. .....]

This year is a fixture unlike any other & you really can't compare it to other years.

Having said that if we win next week that will make things a bit more interesting. Damn it, we shouldn't have lost to the tigers.

I watched a fair bit of the swans hawks game - wow that was in a different league

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:14 am

John Wren wrote:
this year, i think it will only take 12 wins to make the final eight and percentage will be the differentiator

Nope. Percentage never means anything. We have been absolutely assured of this fact by a trusted and unimpeachable authority.

Ummm ....

Now that I think about it, the infallible authority was, in fact, E.

Sorry. As you were ....

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:27 am

I can't see the Woggles and GWS maintaining the rage for the whole season. Pencil them in in the 5-8 category. Hawthorn will improve. Collingwood and Adelaide are natural 5-8 finishers at this stage of their development. Don't really care who sneaks into 8th - it seldom matters past the first week anyway.

This means that there is a spot in the top 4 sitting there vacant, waiting for one of four clubs to fill it: us, Adelaide, WCE and GWS. I don't think we are good enough. On the other hand, I don't really think the Crows or the Woggles are good enough either, and GWS certainly ain't - so we are an outside chance. Essentially, we have to finish above Adelaide and West Coast. If we can do that, we are looking at a double chance finals campaign. Nice!

Most likely, we will finish about 6th, which (by the way) is about where I saw us during the pre-season, maybe one place higher, with Adelaide and WCE above us.

But are we discounting Footscray and Geelong already? Seems a bit rash to me.

PS: if we can't pull our fingers out and start beating the Richmonds of this comp nine times out of ten, making the finals becomes irrelevant, we'd only be making up the numbers.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:48 am

Tannin wrote:
John Wren wrote:
iirc, history tells us that the top eight after round eight invariably forms the final eight. there is usually an exception or two.

If there is usually - or indeed even only sometimes - an exception or two, then it can't be "invariable". Look it up.

yes, thanks for pointing that out. mea culpa.

'usually' might be a better word.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:51 am

watt price tully wrote:
John Wren wrote:
iirc, history tells us that the top eight after round eight invariably forms the final eight. .....]

This year is a fixture unlike any other & you really can't compare it to other years.

Having said that if we win next week that will make things a bit more interesting. Damn it, we shouldn't have lost to the tigers.

I watched a fair bit of the swans hawks game - wow that was in a different league

this year's fixture does make it hard to draw a comparison and only when the final eight gets confirmed will we see whether the convention holds true.

speaking of being in another league, freo certainly are right now. they have managed to add scoring to complement their defensive strength.

DT 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:38 am

Tannin wrote:
I can't see the Woggles and GWS maintaining the rage for the whole season. Pencil them in in the 5-8 category. Hawthorn will improve. Collingwood and Adelaide are natural 5-8 finishers at this stage of their development. Don't really care who sneaks into 8th - it seldom matters past the first week anyway.

This means that there is a spot in the top 4 sitting there vacant, waiting for one of four clubs to fill it: us, Adelaide, WCE and GWS. I don't think we are good enough. On the other hand, I don't really think the Crows or the Woggles are good enough either, and GWS certainly ain't - so we are an outside chance. Essentially, we have to finish above Adelaide and West Coast. If we can do that, we are looking at a double chance finals campaign. Nice!

Most likely, we will finish about 6th, which (by the way) is about where I saw us during the pre-season, maybe one place higher, with Adelaide and WCE above us.

But are we discounting Footscray and Geelong already? Seems a bit rash to me.

PS: if we can't pull our fingers out and start beating the Richmonds of this comp nine times out of ten, making the finals becomes irrelevant, we'd only be making up the numbers.

6th is very optimistic. I don't think we are near that level yet. But the team is developing well. 8th would be a great achievement

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:25 pm

Given our hard second half of the season, I think we need to win our next 3 games against Kangas, Dees and Giants, to make the 8. If we can go to the break at 8/3, then we can afford to lose 6 of our last 11 games and still make the finals.

Assuming we don't suffer injuries to key players, we should actually be in better shape later in the season with possible inclusions of Greenwood, Scharenberg, Moore, Freeman and Reid. Last year our season was ruined by injuries - which may still happen of course - but with a bit of luck, we could well find our team getting better by late in the season.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:58 pm

Still maintain we're a 5-12 side but ladder position and finals this year irrelevent. Would actually prefer a finish in the 7-12 bracket as it would again provide us with a softer draw going into 2016.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: