Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Wonderful news from Ireland

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
So you hold homophobic views. Big deal! Should we allow your 'ambivalence' (which you're so eager to broadcast) to influence legislation?

You may not think much of marriage, but evidently a lot of people still do. And unless you want to stop all straight couples from being married, there can be no justification for opposing (or 'feeling ambivalent about') same-sex marriage.

As for the divorce rate, there's no reason to believe it'll be any different from the regular divorce rate. What else would you expect?

Here's an article on same-sex divorce rates in the US:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/12/15/same-sex-divorce-rate-not-as-low-as-it-seemed/

I don't see any homophobic views in his post. Maybe just read it for what it is. Let's just give everyone the same rights as long as they are not hurting, or corrupting, or damaging in anyway, anyone else, but can we please stop talking about it, and get onto bigger issues.

Personally I can see the actual act of marriage becoming obsolete. It's a peice of paper that not to many seem to hold as sacrament these days anyway, a wedding day is just a money spinner.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:54 am

The Mardi Gra, indigenous round, multicultural round, etc, how do we start to treat everyone the same, when all these events are held to glorify the differences?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:18 pm

I don't get this "let's move onto bigger issues" refrain. Sure, this is getting disproportionate media coverage compared to, say, disadvantage in Indigenous communities, but both are receiving considerably less coverage than Kim Kardashian's backside.

Institutionalised discrimination is always worth fighting against. When this gets passed, we can all move on.

Re: the Mardi Gras, you enjoy Australia Day, don't you? Waving the flag and all that? It's essentially the same thing. Both are celebrations of difference. That sort of open display of celebration isn't my thing, and I know a number of gay people who wouldn't be seen anywhere near the Mardi Gras, but it's harmless fun at the end of the day. As is Australia Day, so long as people don't use it as a vehicle for aggression and vilification.

Last edited by David on Mon May 25, 2015 12:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:22 pm

I don't know when.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:28 pm

David wrote:
I don't get this "let's move onto bigger issues" refrain. Sure, this is getting disproportionate media coverage compared to, say, disadvantage in Indigenous communities, but both are receiving considerably less coverage than Kim Kardashian's backside.

Institutionalised discrimination is always worth fighting against. When this gets passed, we can all move on.

Re: the Mardi Gras, you enjoy Australia Day, don't you? Waving the flag and all that? It's essentially the same thing. Both are celebrations of difference. That sort of open display of celebration isn't my thing, and I know a number of gay people who wouldn't be seen anywhere near the Mardi Gras, but it's harmless fun at the end of the day. As is Australia Day, so long as people don't use it as a vehicle for aggression and vilification.

True that, and all her arse is doing is promoting obesity.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:31 pm

Tannin wrote:
Jezza wrote:
I agree! I'd rather see marriage privatised and taken out of government hands completely.

Interesting. Who would you like to see it sold to? Maquarie Airports? Toll Holdings? Transurban? Southern Power? One thing you can be certain of if your plan comes to pass: birth defects will increase, the price will triple, ordinary citizens will have to ring up and spend three hours on hold waiting to ask if they can have some sex this year, and the politicians will all get seven wives each, which they will claim as expenses on their parliamentary allowance.

Preferably Toll Holdings if possible! Twisted Evil

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:44 pm

think positive wrote:

Evil or Very Mad

As much as I want to, I. Must. Not. Derail. Thread.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:46 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:

Evil or Very Mad

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
i truly did!!!

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:47 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:

Evil or Very Mad

You got trolled. Laughing
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:26 am

There is more to this than meets the eye. I knew a woman who moved in with her gay partner after her kids were born and the husband gained custody and had nothing to do with her for over 20 years. Or the kids. She wanted to be involved but was told no. This was in the 1970s. Her new partner and her worked hard and bought a new house and made a home. Unfortunately after Betty died her kids came in Bobby lost her home of 25 years because the bank or someone wouldn't put both names on the title. She left everything to Bobby in the will but it was overturned. had Betty left a 100 dollars to her kids it would have been ok. The greedy bastards put the house on the market within a week and even contested possession of the ashes despite her lover paying for the funeral and all expenses. The husband threw the ashes on Lilydale tip,
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:55 am

^Right. There would be horror stories all over the front pages if this wasn't about the gay community.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:05 am

Not really. Plenty of horror stories in the hetro community.
My first wife (after screwing one of my mates) had the locks on my house (practically fully owned it) changed when I was away at work. She wouldn't let me see my daughter (then 9 months old) for almost 6 months, until I had a court order in place. It was almost impossible for me to afford a lawyer as the Child support agency were taking almost half my wage (they assessed the amount I had to pay using the previous years tax return when I was on a lot more money). I couldn't afford to buy a car, the bank wouldn't lend me any money because I had no assets. I had nowhere to live so I moved into my parents shed. Plastic sheets taped to the old timber door kept most of the mosquitos out at night.
We eventually went to court where, after lawyers fees & spousal maintenance were taken from the settlement, I recieved enough money to buy a new surfboard and wetsuit. She got the house (still lives there, valued at around $650k), the car (A new VL), all the furniture etc.

To cut a long story short, after paying 10's of thousands of dollars in child support for over a decade, battling periods of depression (little pink n blue tabs were pretty good), having all sorts of access hurdles to jump and seeing my daughter put in a boarding school at 9yrs old (ex couldn't handle her then), 5 k's from her home I finally got custody of her.
I haven't seen the dragon since.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:48 am

^ Not really the thread for this discussion, Skids, but I agree with you that divorce law seems in urgent need of reform. Fathers pretty much universally seem to cop the rough end of the stick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fathers%27_rights_movement#Family_court_system

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:09 pm

Good point, Skids. The now outdated Victorian system of morality hasn't a clue about relationships in the new big bad world at all.

BTW, and that means rather than using one interest to diminish another, you ought to be combining both with the raft of issues affecting women such as grossly outdated parental and childcare allocations, and connecting the dots.

The entire conception and codification is stuck in 18th century nonsense; dealing with it as a whole will help all concerned.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:31 pm

Shorten moving the bill on Monday.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-28/gay-marriage-vote-strategies-motives-agendas/6504496

Quote:
There is no reason to doubt that both genuinely want change and that they are keen for it to happen as soon as possible, but their political opponents labelled it opportunistic.

Liberal MP Warren Entsch, who has championed gay rights, said the Opposition's Leader's move was "all about Bill" and shoring up his leadership.

Frankly, I agree with Warren Entsch – Shorten should be seeking cross-party support for this, and going early without it is hardly likely to be a successful tactic.

I don't see what this achieves other than an attempt for Labor to wring political capital out of the issue, to make themselves look like the good guys who are in tune with public opinion. Memo to Shorten: your lot had six years to make this happen, and you squibbed it. So long as Abbott stays in power, this bill will require considerable good-will from government MPs in order to pass. One would hope he urgently rethinks this and seeks out a Liberal co-sponsor instead.

Last edited by David on Thu May 28, 2015 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: