Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Wonderful news from Ireland

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's embarrassing and shameful that we even need to have this discussion in Australia.

Imagine the worldwide outcry if we didn't allow Aboriginals or Muslims to marry in the year 2015.

I don't see the difference here.

Make it legal, no ifs or buts and no need for a referendum.

Just do it.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:42 pm

A referendum can easily be rigged. All they need to do is somehow scare half the states, say Qld, WA and Vic. Something like public housing will go to gay couples, taxes will go up to pay for IVF etc. The churches, and that will include Muslims will rally against it. Or write a question that makes it so open that it we become confused. Such as it MAY allow a man can marry a shetland pony or underaged marriage etc. This what Abbott thinks. No good waiting for the ALP to fix it. They have had plenty of chances. We need to piss off the Nick Xenephons etc. States can't even do it.

But swoop has nailed it. A simple change to the marriage act and a conscience vote (although like the euthanasia votes that get rolled by GUTLESS and CRAVEN politicians) it may still not get through.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:09 pm

^Good points all above.

I understand the concern about the wedge tactics of the nutters, but it surely wouldn't lose in a referendum, would it? And the mob will still be gorging on the flesh of suburban Muslim minorities for some time to come.

That said, I take advice on this from those who have followed it in much finer detail than myself.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:14 pm

Skids, dismissing as irrelevant still looks a hell of a lot like thinly-veiled dehumanisation. I'm not sure why it's so hard to overtly express satisfaction for those concerned and their families, the quality of the law and society you enjoy, and world in which you live the tide is turning.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:31 am

Skids wrote:
David wrote:

For anyone who's interested, the final vote was 62% for to 38% against. One can imagine that a referendum here in Australia would lead to an even more decisive result, but our PM seems to be unwilling to even acknowledge the people's will let alone do anything about it.

I think there's much more important things to spend $70 million on.

I kind of agree with you here; not that I don't think legalising same-sex marriage is important, but more that the logistics of doing a referendum here are far more challenging.

Ireland has 4.5 million (less than a fifth of our population) and a much smaller landmass. I wish it was as easy as just putting a referendum up tomorrow and getting it over and done with, but I understand the reluctance to go down that route when it's going to be legislated in parliament within a year or two anyway. Labor just need to ditch the conscience vote and campaign on the issue; it'll be one area where they'll be able to paint themselves as genuine progressives.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:32 am

In any case, I hope that your dreams come true.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:57 am

Wokko wrote:
Such a non issue, but it makes the tumblr, twitter and Facebook slacktivists happy. Government getting out of the marriage business all together would be my preference.

I agree! I'd rather see marriage privatised and taken out of government hands completely.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:08 am

Jezza wrote:
I agree! I'd rather see marriage privatised and taken out of government hands completely.

Interesting. Who would you like to see it sold to? Maquarie Airports? Toll Holdings? Transurban? Southern Power? One thing you can be certain of if your plan comes to pass: birth defects will increase, the price will triple, ordinary citizens will have to ring up and spend three hours on hold waiting to ask if they can have some sex this year, and the politicians will all get seven wives each, which they will claim as expenses on their parliamentary allowance.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:44 am

I'm all for Gays to suffer the miseries of marriage like their straight counterparts. If the Australian Politicians had a vote voted and in turn voted on how their electorates felt about the issue then we would have Gay marriage as well. The trouble is we still have the Religious right in control on both sides of the house.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:58 am

Tannin wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Interesting. Who would you like to see it sold to? Maquarie Airports? Toll Holdings? Transurban? Southern Power? One thing you can be certain of if your plan comes to pass: birth defects will increase, the price will triple, ordinary citizens will have to ring up and spend three hours on hold waiting to ask if they can have some sex this year, and the politicians will all get seven wives each, which they will claim as expenses on their parliamentary allowance.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:54 am

It's just another one of their "Look at me, I'm gay" rants, like the mardi gras.
Why they want part in an institution that has a 50% success rate is also a bit baffling.
Will be interesting to see the divorce rates of gays once it is made the norm (which I'm sure it eventually will be).

So your gay .... Big Feken deal!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:29 am

So you hold homophobic views. Big deal! Should we allow your 'ambivalence' (which you're so eager to broadcast) to influence legislation?

You may not think much of marriage, but evidently a lot of people still do. And unless you want to stop all straight couples from being married, there can be no justification for opposing (or 'feeling ambivalent about') same-sex marriage.

As for the divorce rate, there's no reason to believe it'll be any different from the regular divorce rate. What else would you expect?

Here's an article on same-sex divorce rates in the US:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/12/15/same-sex-divorce-rate-not-as-low-as-it-seemed/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:31 am

More on the prospects of a referendum on this issue in Australia.

(for those who can't be bothered clicking on the link, the answer is "zero".)

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/24/tony-abbott-says-no-to-referendum-on-same-sex-marriage-despite-irish-vote

Quote:
A referendum on marriage equality would amount to a “big opinion poll” as parliament would still need to create laws to enable same-sex partners to marry, according to a constitutional expert.

In the wake of the historic Irish vote in support of same-sex marriage, Professor George Williams told Guardian Australia parliament would need to authorise any referendum and the result would not allow any bypass of parliament. A majority on the floor of parliament would still be required to enable same-sex laws.

“You could hold a referendum if you wanted but only if parliament authorises it,” said Williams. “In which case it would be a plebiscite, or essentially a big opinion poll.”

Williams said the average cost of a referendum was between $100m and $150m outside an election and half that if it was held in conjunction with an election.

“Given the amount of money we don’t have for other things, it seems a luxury to do this when it wouldn’t change the law,” said Williams.

I found this interesting too:

Tony Abbott wrote:
Inside the Abbott family I’m probably the last holdout for the traditional position, so look, it is a serious issue.

Keep putting the pressure on, ladies. Mr. Green

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:35 am

I'm not homophobic at all!
I just don't care what they do. My cousin is gay, she's married ( England, is it a legal marriage? I don't know?).

I just don't get the hype, you're gay, wow.... carry on.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:45 am

Yep, the law was passed in the UK back in 2013.

Sorry for making that presumption, but I just didn't understand why else you'd paint the same-sex marriage movement as an attention-seeking exercise. Those of us who care about the issue, many of whom are straight, just want people (and their relationships) to be treated equally.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: