Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Wonderful news from Ireland

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:09 pm
Post subject: Wonderful news from IrelandReply with quote

The world's first referendum on same-sex marriage is being decided comprehensively in favour of the 'yes' vote, in one of the world's most traditionally conservative Christian countries.

http://www.theguardian.com/global/live/2015/may/23/counting-underway-for-irelands-referendum-on-marriage-equality

This is great news for the people of Ireland, but also a wake-up call to our two major parties—with the UK, most of the US, Canada, New Zealand and Ireland voting in favour, we're now the only developed English-speaking country that hasn't legalised marriage equality. Hopefully, by whatever means—whether it be the Liberal party room authorising a conscience vote or Labor winning the next election—that won't be the case for much longer.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a non issue, but it makes the tumblr, twitter and Facebook slacktivists happy. Government getting out of the marriage business all together would be my preference.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:38 pm

It's not a non-issue for the people it affects. I can see how it seems like a small thing in isolation, but look at it in the wider context: this finally closes the door on generations of discrimination by removing the last barrier to the recognition of same-sex relationships. I think it's something to celebrate wherever it happens.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:58 pm

It is a MASSIVE leap forward - 3 aunts 68, 72, 76 and 2 uncles in their sixties voted yes Shocked and as good Mics indoctrinated into the world of the head fairy at the bottom of the garden knows all and purgatory and hell and homosexuality is a sin -this change of attitude is fantastic!!

My aunt who rang me tonight to wish me safe travel and just quietly I think to tell me me how she and her mob voted was well pleased - " ah so now it is thee who lives in a backward country" - that's a bit embarrassing as it is now true Embarassed

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:08 am

I can’t see the Problem of people of the same sex getting Married
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:07 am

Agree with Wokko. It's only an issue to the extent that people still think that marriage is (a) meaningful and (b) something the state has any damn business interfering in in the first place. Nevertheless, it is still a big step out of the dark ages for Ireland, so good on 'em.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:08 am

Dave The Man wrote:
I can’t see the Problem of people of the same sex getting Married

Neither, it seems, do most Irish people. Very Happy

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:49 am

That's progress, for sure. David, if you do a search for some work on international bigotry by I think John Mangan at the Uni of Queensland, IIRC homophobic bigotry was higher in traditional Catholic countries, including Ireland (but don't quote me as it was a while ago). It would be interesting to see if there has been a noticeable turnaround and to explore why. As an unresearched guess, the GFC will have played a role. Generational change, combined with an economic trigger, can work wonders for countries.

(Which of course is why fighting extremist Islamic groups without eliminating the authoritarian oil economy is a complete farce Rolling Eyes )

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:56 am

This is what a lot of people have been talking about in the wake of this vote, PTID—how unbelievably conservative Ireland was, right up until the early to mid-'90s when divorce was still illegal and homosexuality was a crime punishable by law. Even today, a woman cannot have an abortion unless her life is in danger. But this is a big step forward, and a real sign that the church is losing its grip on the country.

For anyone who's interested, the final vote was 62% for to 38% against. One can imagine that a referendum here in Australia would lead to an even more decisive result, but our PM seems to be unwilling to even acknowledge the people's will let alone do anything about it.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:05 am

David wrote:
This is what a lot of people have been talking about in the wake of this vote, PTID—how unbelievably conservative Ireland was, right up until the early to mid-'90s when divorce was still illegal and homosexuality was a crime punishable by law. Even today, a woman cannot have an abortion unless her life is in danger. But this is a big step forward, and a real sign that the church is losing its grip on the country.

For anyone who's interested, the final vote was 62% for to 38% against. One can imagine that a referendum here in Australia would lead to an even more decisive result, but our PM seems to be unwilling to even acknowledge the people's will let alone do anything about it.

Much like the last two PMs.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:37 am

David wrote:

I think there's much more important things to spend $70 million on.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:20 pm

Skids wrote:
David wrote:

I think there's much more important things to spend $70 million on.

Unfortunately, that's an illogical dismissal. Name one thing that isn't a less important social good to spend money on than, say, saving a dying child's life?

Okay, so if as every other human being you accept a broad allocation of capital to social good that does not observe a strict hierarchy of priorities because you view betterment as a relative concept that ranges from, say, reducing cruelty to animals to saving dying children, why are you pretending to hold a different view in this instance?

Once you've come clean to yourself on that, then do yourself a favour and look through the broad allocation to social good and tell us how 70M spent on this particular bit of social progress compares to the capital expended on other major pieces of legislation, or on this particular percentage of folk and their kin vis-a-vis similar percentages of folk and their kin, in the area of legislative equality. Feel free to go back to the 1800s just in case you miss the legislative changes that you have long benefited from that others pushed through in your stead despite folk like your good self offering the very same sort of nonsense arguments against such progress back then.

Last edited by pietillidie on Sun May 24, 2015 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:24 pm

I always feel completely free.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:29 pm

It is interesting that a country as conservative and religious as ireland got this up so easily.

I'm willing to bet that the reason why they had the referendum was that no politician was prepared to legislated for it and risk the backlash from the churches. By doing it this way all the "blame" rests with the voters.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:44 pm

I just don't see the point in a referendum, should be something as simple as rubber stamp, done and dusted.... do we really need to send everyone to the polling booths for something, that quite frankly, most people couldn't give a toss about? (I passed a survey to 38 people at our BBQ lunch at work, 3 options to gay marriage; yes, no, who cares. Every single person ticked "who cares") $70 Million is also a pretty conservative estimate, the 1999, should we be a republic one, cost was $66 million.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: