Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Extreme Black 'n White: Status

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwisbey 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:24 pm
Post subject: Extreme Black 'n White: StatusReply with quote

The Extreme Black 'n' White message board (aka "Hotrod's" or EBnW) is currently down so, as EBnW coordinator, I wanted to post a status update for those interested. EBnW is hosted by Voy.com and all Voy.com forums have been down, worldwide, for at least 6 days (and counting).

The problem will hopefully be fixed without much further delay but the company treats its customers with contempt and tells us nothing. Ive emailed them but I dont expect to hear back, regardless of whether the problem gets fixed in 5 minutes time or takes days (or even doesnt get fixed). Ive even tried to phone them in California but unsuccessfully.

As of the last few days, Ive been busily searching for and, experimenting with, other providers. I and many others actually like the Voy (i.e. fully threaded) format, albeit that the appearance / format *looks* outdated to some. Im extremely keen to avoid forcing readers to register and Ive got a very proven procedures and parameters to curtail serial pests which I wish to maintain (the equivalent of). A format similar to Voy would be my strong preference and there are at least a couple around but, on what Ive seen thus far, not to my satisfaction (on behalf of EBnW users).

Hopefully Voy is back up very soon but Im rapidly losing faith and the last week demonstrates that, at the very least, we (the EBnW community) need a secondary / contingency forum from another provider anyway.

In short, Im desperately trying to find a message board provider that satisfies all of the following:

1. Free
2. Hosts on their own site (server)
3. Offers fully threaded layout (i.e. a la Voy forums)
4. Does not require readers / posters to register
5. Does not insist on catchpas (i.e. forcing a poster to enter a code from an image every time he/she tries to post)
6. Strong, convenient moderator facilities including quick n easy (a) deletion of individual posts and (b) banning of IPs and(!!) IP ranges and (c) overview pest detection / searches. (Among other necessary moderator features, including IP display).
7. Does not require email address with each post
8. Does not enforce unrealistic limits on number of threads / posts or message size
9. Offers decent performance (including reliability and page-loading speed)
10. Ads that are not pop-up and/or ultra intrusive

(If anyone knows from experience of such a message board facility, I'd love to hear from you).

If Voy.com disappears or EBnW leaves Voy, its my intention to use CFC, Nicks and et al to let people know of our replacement EBnW forum. Right now though, Im flying as blind as everyone else.

If you get the chance to copy this elsewhere so people know whats happening, that would be great. Up to now, Ive assumed my time is best spent focussing on trying to come up with a functioning message board facility asap but Im am acutely conscious of the growing frustration of EBnW punters being unaware of whats happening (let alone being unable to post) so hopefully this status update will, directly or indirectly, reach those interested.

Thanks (and apologies for me taking up space on Nick's with this)

Colin Wisbey
EBnW Coordinator
cwisbey@optusnet.com.au

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

As the other thread is locked, can I just say this: I may have got the poster wrong with whom MG had the beef, I thought it was Turtle, but it seems like I may have been wrong, it was a long time ago...apologies to Turtle if I did, as seems to be the case, misname the poster in question.

I'll not mention details, but those who saw the thread would probably remember.

Please note that i wasn't having a go at either poster, just remembering some 'back in the day' internet squabble, nothing more

Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:22 pm

Maybe try and a New and More Up To Date Company?
cwisbey 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:01 pm

Update: Although I've not heard from Voy.com directly, here's a response that Voy.com sent to another forum operator tonight:
----------
Voy
10:34 PM (1 hour ago)

Indeed, it is temporary. There's a block affecting a huge upstream network provider's entire network, but our service is actually fine... just sitting there waiting for the block to be resolved. In the meantime were actively working on going around the block.
We've never had this much downtime in almost 20 years of operation, and are really sorry about it. Thanks for bearing with us.
Sincerely,
Voyforums Support
----------

Again my apologies for encroaching on to Nick's with this and my sincere thanks to Mike and Nick's mods for allowing me to do so.

Colin Wisbey

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:03 pm

No worries Wiz Smile
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:53 pm

cwisbey wrote:
Update: Although I've not heard from Voy.com directly, here's a response that Voy.com sent to another forum operator tonight:
----------
Voy
10:34 PM (1 hour ago)

Indeed, it is temporary. There's a block affecting a huge upstream network provider's entire network, but our service is actually fine... just sitting there waiting for the block to be resolved. In the meantime were actively working on going around the block.
We've never had this much downtime in almost 20 years of operation, and are really sorry about it. Thanks for bearing with us.
Sincerely,
Voyforums Support
----------

Again my apologies for encroaching on to Nick's with this and my sincere thanks to Mike and Nick's mods for allowing me to do so.

Colin Wisbey

While I don't participate on EBW congratulations on your effort to put it all together & your time doing so.

A great pies community service.

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:56 am

heres a solution..just join Nicks!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:59 am

Can you speak any foreign languages?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:15 am

I am surprised it took so long.
roar 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:29 pm

skaman wrote:
heres a solution..just join Nicks!

Not much chance of that if they've seen this place lately.

VictoryPark 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi there Colin.

Firstly thanks for all your efforts in trying to deal with the EBW / VOY issues.

I posted a thread here a week or so ago alerting nicksters to the above issues.

I've always found the forum St.Kilda use aka "Saintsational" to be very user friendly and easy to navigate.

Whether it meets with your criteria I'm none too sure however the board is driven by phpBB and their website is www.saintsational.net.

Sure it's the filth but if we can look beyond that it would be worthwhile.

In fact you will find this board is a phpBB. Works a treat.

My 2 cents.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:25 pm

I've only ever used Nicks, so have no interest or time to waste on other forums, as I'm already wasting far too much time here on Nicks. Confused
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:59 pm

VictoryPark wrote:
Hi there Colin.

Firstly thanks for all your efforts in trying to deal with the EBW / VOY issues.

I posted a thread here a week or so ago alerting nicksters to the above issues.

I've always found the forum St.Kilda use aka "Saintsational" to be very user friendly and easy to navigate.

Whether it meets with your criteria I'm none too sure however the board is driven by phpBB and their website is www.saintsational.net.

Sure it's the filth but if we can look beyond that it would be worthwhile.

In fact you will find this board is a phpBB. Works a treat.

My 2 cents.

New software that Bigfooty is using isnt too bad either, not sure what they are using now but they've gone from vBulletin to something a little nicer.

While I liked vBulletin, it's pretty expensive.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:30 am
Post subject: Re: Extreme Black 'n White: StatusReply with quote

Nabble.com is pretty good and fully threaded. It's free up to a certain level of use so not sure if it would be for EG&W which is quite high use.
cwisbey wrote:
The Extreme Black 'n' White message board (aka "Hotrod's" or EBnW) is currently down so, as EBnW coordinator, I wanted to post a status update for those interested. EBnW is hosted by Voy.com and all Voy.com forums have been down, worldwide, for at least 6 days (and counting).

The problem will hopefully be fixed without much further delay but the company treats its customers with contempt and tells us nothing. Ive emailed them but I dont expect to hear back, regardless of whether the problem gets fixed in 5 minutes time or takes days (or even doesnt get fixed). Ive even tried to phone them in California but unsuccessfully.

As of the last few days, Ive been busily searching for and, experimenting with, other providers. I and many others actually like the Voy (i.e. fully threaded) format, albeit that the appearance / format *looks* outdated to some. Im extremely keen to avoid forcing readers to register and Ive got a very proven procedures and parameters to curtail serial pests which I wish to maintain (the equivalent of). A format similar to Voy would be my strong preference and there are at least a couple around but, on what Ive seen thus far, not to my satisfaction (on behalf of EBnW users).

cwisbey 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:27 am
Post subject: Update from Voy,comReply with quote

I received the following response Fri 10/06/2016 4:54 AM.
------------------------
Dear Colin,
A non-profit organization in Europe (Spamhaus.org) has published a block on our upstream network provider, which affects many organizations in California due to the many networks which voluntarily utilize those blacklists. The network issues are supposedly resolved, so we would have expected the blacklist entries to have been removed, but Spamhaus has not removed them yet. We don't know why. It's not an issue with our service itself, and unfortunately resolving it ends up being out of our hands; however, we're doing what we can to expedite its resolution. We will post details about the downage when the network issues are resolved -- we have never experienced such downtime in over 22 years of operation, and appreciate whatever patience you can provide.
Sincerely,
VoyForums Support
------------

Based on that response, I'll give the Voy system more time and hopefully EBnW will be back up and running very soon.

Many thanks also to those who suggested alternative forum hosts. I'll look into each one. At the very least, EBnW needs a supplementary service so we don't have downtime like this again.

Thanks all for your patience and kindness.
Wiz

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: