Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

To the Rohingya refugee crisis, Australia says nope

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
When was the last time you were in Australia?

Why do you think you have a right to say what it's like here when you have not lived here for how long?

Err, a year ago for 8 weeks Laughing I live in multiple countries at once now—purely to irritate you, of course! Hmm, if only I can set up those offices in Silicon Valley and Germany!

FWIW, the next long world trip will be the ridiculous 22 hours back to see mum via South Korea, so that's potentially another few months back. (Don't blame me for the craphouse tech infrastructure there which keeps me away; you know my views on the ridiculously backward state of tech in Australia. That said, if my partner can get a job at a big IT company in Sydney, she'd be there in a flash as she loves Australia most).

The important thing you need to know is this: In my ethical world, once a person starts repeating lies and deceit in an effort to impact the lives of (especially) helpless folk who are not here to defend themselves, without having done the due diligence warranted by something as serious as impacting the lives and deaths of other humans, all gloves are off. (Much simpler than even I thought, now you prompted me to consider it!).

I presume you're either taking the piss or on the piss challenging my Australian citizenship. We could always compare national resumes one day. Who has been to the most wineries? Who knows the Latin names of more Australian wildlife? Who has got the best fishing spots? Wink

All I ask is this, though: Please, please don't make me take John Howard's citizenship test Laughing

Anyhow, as HAL would say: Enough about me!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:47 am

David wrote:
I support that, so long as it was established beyond doubt and done safely, with regard to international law.

Of course, that still leaves the problem of how to deal with all of the genuine refugees on those boats. Unfortunately, our government doesn't care about the difference between refugees and 'economic migrants'.

think positive wrote:
The people in this thread don't even want to come here!

Should we all just open our wallets and pay their way, or pay of the government of the country they do want to go to, just because?

Maybe we can adopt the Muslim ways and traditions, then they might want to come here!

As I said to the other poster who made this claim, how can you possibly know this? How could anyone know the will of thousands of individuals, many of whom are fleeing for their lives?

You said early "what on earth makes you think they want to come to Australia"
Someone else said they want to go to a Muslim country that has their traditions.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:29 pm

The point is, why all the generalisations? Wouldn't it be much more logical to presume that the individuals on these boats have different personalities, different desires and different preferences about where they want to go?

<Discussion about double standards in moderation moved here:

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=77124

Thanks, David for BBMods>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: