Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale Muhammad Ali (1942-2016)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:41 pm
Post subject: Vale Muhammad Ali (1942-2016)Reply with quote

The greatest boxer of all time has passed away at the age of 74.

Quote:
Boxing great Muhammad Ali has died aged 74 in a Phoenix hospital following a short battle with a respiratory illness.

Ali, regarded as the greatest professional boxer in the history of the sport, was admitted to hospital earlier this week with the illness and died on Saturday (AEST).

He had been suffering from Parkinson's disease for more than three decades.

Ali compiled a 56-5 win-loss record as a professional boxer and won a gold medal at the 1960 Olympics in Rome.

Known globally not only for his storied ring career but also for his civil rights activism, Ali had been hospitalised multiple times in recent years.

He spent time in hospital in 2014 after suffering a mild case of pneumonia and again in 2015 for a urinary tract infection.

Ali's Parkinson's, thought to be linked to the thousands of punches he took during a career that spanned three decades, had limited his public speaking for years.

But he continued to make appearances and offer opinions through his family members and spokespeople.

In April, he attended a Celebrity Fight Night Dinner in Phoenix that raised funds for treatment of Parkinson's.

In December, he issued a statement rebuking US presidential hopeful Donald Trump's call for a ban on Muslims entering the United States.

Ali, born in Louisville, Kentucky, as Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr, changed his name in 1964 after his conversion to Islam.

His legendary boxing career stretched from 1960 to 1981, dazzling fans with slick moves in the ring, and with his wit and engaging persona outside it.

His opposition to the Vietnam War saw him banned from the sport for years, but the US Supreme Court overturned his conviction for draft dodging in 1971.

Once vilified in some quarters for his conversion to Islam and his outspoken stance on civil rights issues, Ali held firm to earn dozens of tributes, lighting the Olympic torch in 1996 in Atlanta and being named a UN messenger of peace in 1998.

He received the highest US civilian honour, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, in 2005.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-04/muhammad-ali-boxing-great-dies-aged-74/7477564

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Favourite quote of his:

"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life".

RIP.
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:10 pm

RIP Champ
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:11 pm

I COMMENTED on the other thread on the great Ali, where the heck has that one gone. ?? Jeez Mods, outa respect for one of the all time greats, that thread and this one should be left on the Nicks main page all day today, not in this blog backwater.

once again I say, he was an icon of my generation, a true legend, and sadly those icons I grew up with are now passing away. He was a fantastic boxer, the best, and had great principles too, he flatly refused to fight in the Vietnam disaster, and he got stripped of his title cos of that. He fought racism, and did a lot for civil rights, and for sufferers of that awful parkinsons disease, which sadly took so much from him. He had it all, and was a Legend in every way, may he truly rest in peace.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:14 pm

What happened to it all and was a Legend in every way may he rest in peace ?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:53 pm

RIP Champ,
The one and only,
An original,
And yes, the greatest

Raised alzheimers awareness,

So many great quotes and one liners

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3624652/The-30-best-quotes-Muhammad-Ali-original-trash-talking-self-aggrandizing-motormouth-sport.html

"Live everyday as if it's your last, because one day you will be right!"

Thanks for the memories. Xxxx

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:22 pm

Crying or Very sad

Last edited by 5150 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Juggernaught 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:41 pm

'I'm so mean i make medicine sick'
Classic , RIP Champ

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:06 am

Piesnchess wrote:
I COMMENTED on the other thread on the great Ali, where the heck has that one gone. ?? Jeez Mods, outa respect for one of the all time greats, that thread and this one should be left on the Nicks main page all day today, not in this blog backwater.

It was moved to 'Nicks Sports Bar'.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:29 pm

I loved Ali for his stance on matters political and on behalf of African Americans.

On the USA's involvement in the Vietnam war: "The Draft is about White people sending Black people to fight Yellow people to protect the Country they stole from the Red people"

Absolutely NO interest in him, as a boxer. It (boxing) remains a barbaric exercise. Two people, facing each other, trying to punch the other one out. KO, TKO or points, doesn't matter. It's beggars belief that it's STILL referred to as a 'sport'.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:54 am

I loved Michael Parkinson's interview with Ali in 1971 that was shown again last night. Ali got onto one of his numerous rants (but one with an obvious message). He was commenting on how after winning a gold medal at the 1960 Olympics he still was refused service in a Louisville diner. He then went onto recite the questions he used to ask his mum....
He launched into; How come God is white, Why is Jesus is white, Mary & Joseph are white, the Disciples are white, Saints are white, Angels are white, the Pope is white, Angels Food Cake is white, Devils Food Cake is dark chocolate, ripping people off is Blackmail, even the King of the Jungle in Africa is White! (Tarzan) - how come it's Tarzan that can speak to all the animals? The blacks have been in Africa forever and none of them can do it, only this white guy can! The President is white (ok that's no longer right) and the Preseident lives in a White House! Classic
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:39 am

Interesting insight into Mohammad Ali - a view I agree with:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/dont-turn-mohammad-ali-into-a-sanitised-caricature-20160609-gpf0l4.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:30 pm

Great article, WPT. Thanks for posting!
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:19 pm

sixpoints wrote:
I loved Michael Parkinson's interview with Ali in 1971 that was shown again last night. Ali got onto one of his numerous rants (but one with an obvious message). He was commenting on how after winning a gold medal at the 1960 Olympics he still was refused service in a Louisville diner. He then went onto recite the questions he used to ask his mum....
He launched into; How come God is white, Why is Jesus is white, Mary & Joseph are white, the Disciples are white, Saints are white, Angels are white, the Pope is white, Angels Food Cake is white, Devils Food Cake is dark chocolate, ripping people off is Blackmail, even the King of the Jungle in Africa is White! (Tarzan) - how come it's Tarzan that can speak to all the animals? The blacks have been in Africa forever and none of them can do it, only this white guy can! The President is white (ok that's no longer right) and the Preseident lives in a White House! Classic

I was looking forward to seeing this and ended up a bit dumbfounded... I hadn't realised he seemed to be a bit of a racist? Shocked Threw his medal in the river because of segregation but was totally against mixed marriage, believes the white man is the devil... there was more that I can't remember. Parky did say that interview changed his opinion of Ali - it changed mine too. Love the character, not the views.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:33 pm

In case anyone is interested, ABC2 is showing 3 fairly lengthy Ali documentaries back to back on Sunday night from 7.30 or 8.00 pm. Please check the precise time if you want to see them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: