Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The great Chomsky/Harris non-debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:38 pm
Post subject: The great Chomsky/Harris non-debateReply with quote

Well, Noam Chomsky and one of the New Atheists finally went toe to toe, and the result was... a bit of a fizzer.

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-limits-of-discourse

These are two people I have great respect for as thinkers and writers, but I don't think either of them have a mortgage on common sense or flawless intellectual reasoning. I kind of cringe whenever Harris talks about Islam, and Chomsky can be stubbornly dense at times. That aside, I think they've both contributed plenty of interesting ideas to the public arena, and I thought a debate between them would be well worth the read.

Well... see what you think. To me, the only issue of real interest that was raised was the question of whether intent matters when causing harm. That is, is it worse to kill 3000 people deliberately, or recklessly/negligently? Or are consequences the only thing that matters? Certainly a subject I'd be willing to argue the toss on here, if anyone's interested.

Otherwise, these are my observations:

a) While politeness isn't the most important quality in intellectual debate, it can certainly shape an argument. Compare Harris's relatively gentlemanly approach (at least at the beginning, before he cracks a major sulk) with Chomsky's rather arrogant responses. That doesn't in any way make him wrong and Harris right, of course, but it certainly gets things off to a bad start, and things get worse from there. It would be fair enough if Chomsky didn't have the time or energy to engage, but the length of some of his emails suggests that he did. If some of that effort had been transferred into a polite response, they might have actually opened a channel and had an enlightening discussion.

b) Harris does need to work on some of his comprehension skills, as he admits in the post-script.

What do you think? Any lessons that we Nicksters can apply to our own Internet practice?

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

So pietillidie is Chomsky.Razz

Never took him for a Collingwood supporter.

P.S-Just one question though.

Who the hell is Chomsky?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:23 am

^Lol.

Noam is old, grumpy and repetitive, but sadly he's always been more or less right on this point: The huff and puff about the crimes of others is prescientific avoidance that has no place in serious analysis.

The fact is, those with Imperial Fawning Disease have traded in the rational capacity to view the death of an Other as equivalent to the death of someone they subconsciously identify with. It's just too big a comfort teat to let go of, lest they have to man up and face the big bad world as it is--including their own violent tendencies.

All sorts of time wasting rubbish ensues in between, but in the end they still refuse the most basic science of all, namely H.sapiens being much of a muchness everywhere, and therefore needing to be approached as much of a muchness in analysis. And they probably never will without serious therapy to deal with whatever is driving them to denial. As I say, if GPs behaved the way these idiots claiming to have insight into politics and international affairs do, they would be fired immediately for negligence. These are cringeworthy, propaganda fields at best.

As a case in point, how anti-rational would you have to be to overlook the fact that extraordinary narcissism and layers of propagandists are required to run for high office, and such narcissism very easily views others as ants? ("I'm so good, I have the clarity and wisdom to lead zillions of people...hmm...and I might get the intern to blow me in the oval office while I'm pondering who to save and who to kill..."). This is basic science demonstrated a hundred times over in experiment and actual life.

Please, take back whatever credentials Harris has concerning the human mind; he's being willfully stupid, and Chomsky for all his own flaws knows it.

The real question here is how to deal with such pre-modern, prescientific, pre-urban, pre-global psychiatry as is currently uniting the Old Empire fantasists such as Harris and friends in a clique of imperial bum-slapping. Postmodernism retreating to farce is not the undeliberate caricature it is often made out to represent; what else is left? Postmodernism is overtly the new comedy of existential despair, and openly admits as much very often. We've already seen that, given enough power, the institutional left is just as tyrannical as the Imperial right. How can a supposedly intelligent person even posit as a starting point a sane elite that doesn't threaten to crush the inconsequential as ants? The LOL is all on them, I'm afraid.

Even worse, how can Harris be so unaware as to not even acknowledge his own role in the new farce with a wink and a nod? Comedy is existentially streets ahead of denial, which is why the sane resort to it in the face of the human contradiction and nonsense.

Chomsky: Scientifically, let's assume modern H.sapiens is pretty much like us, both geographically and historically. Now, ... drone on with 1980s space fillers trying to pull the conversation back to a rational scientific starting point, boring all but the most avid Marxian fans.

Harris: Let's assume that Jesus and the little lamb of The Little Golden Book of Imperial Tales represent us. Now, ... crap on with sundry Internet blog rhetoric trying to avoid being held to standards of scientific discourse, concluding we're special and the Other is evil, exciting the New Paranoid.

No matter how one tries to escape Empire, there are always bevies of paid minions at the ready to make deranged institutional views like Harris' seem normal, some paid directly, others paid by association. (This is what worries me about you relying on writing, David; how will you make money without having to appease some audience and becoming just another air-headed blogging big mouth? The economics and ego always win; before you know it you'll be justifying nonsense and will be sucked into the vortex). Then, there's the next layer of paranoids clinging to the institution because the actual human predicament scares the crap out of them. Then, the rest is par-for-the-course hip-pocketism and tribalism. Miles and miles of non-rational incentive wherever you bother looking.

As you know, that's why for now I focus on competition quality as a proxy for social good; it's all I can come up with that might possibly generate a way forward, exposing as it does the fraud of both right and left, thus nullifying the old debate in some small way.

The refusal to focus on the economies of the Middle East is possibly the most cringeworthy failure of all, exposing as it does the complete lies of the Empire fantasists and their feigned moral concern--and most certainly their delusion of moral superiority. Of course a deformed, non-competitive economy gives rise to social tyranny and dysfunction. You can't teach that as orthodox day after day in lecture theatres, along with the advantages of decentralised decision making as expressed in democratic forms of government, and then impose economic dictatorship on an entire region with a straight face.

Pharasaical frauds of the highest order.

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:03 pm

pietillidie wrote:
there are always bevies of paid minions at the ready to make deranged institutional views like Harris' seem normal

Despite the insistence of Leftist critics, Harris isn't and has never been a knee-jerk defender of Empire. He's more than willing to concede America's horrific foreign policy track record, and even his more dubious positions are usually worked through carefully and rigorously; to the extent that arguments of his that I find myself intuitively opposed to (say, his take on morality) become very hard to argue against once you see his reasoning.

In my view, in this little email exchange, they're both wrong. Chomsky overestimates the importance of consequences in ethical assessment and Harris (strangely, given that he's supposed to be the utilitarian!) overestimates the importance of intent. Beyond that, the morality of Bill Clinton is a matter for historical analysis, and one that's probably answered by people who actually lived through his presidency as adults (from what I'm aware of the Iraq sanctions programme and the Al-Shifa atrocity, I'm inclined to agree with Chomsky's conclusion).

As for Harris's neuroscience credentials, I think he's entitled to them; though it's perhaps not coincidental that his writing on human behaviour is much stronger than his writing on international relations.

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:07 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Who the hell is Chomsky?

I'm sure pietillidie won't mind the comparison. Mr. Green

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noam_Chomsky

Quote:
Noam Chomsky (/ˈnoʊm ˈtʃɒmski/; born December 7, 1928) is an American linguist, philosopher, cognitive scientist, logician, political commentator, social justice activist, and anarcho-syndicalist advocate. Sometimes described as the "father of modern linguistics", Chomsky is also a major figure in analytic philosophy.

He more or less shaped the field of linguistics as we know it, and is possibly the most respected living left-wing thinker.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:15 pm

swoop42 wrote:
So pietillidie is Chomsky.Razz

Never took him for a Collingwood supporter.

P.S-Just one question though.

Who the hell is Chomsky?

You just had to ask didn't you, there goes this weeks bandwidth

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:31 pm

David wrote:
In my view, in this little email exchange, they're both wrong. Chomsky overestimates the importance of consequences in ethical assessment and Harris (strangely, given that he's supposed to be the utilitarian!) overestimates the importance of intent. Beyond that, the morality of Bill Clinton is a matter for historical analysis, and one that's probably answered by people who actually lived through his presidency as adults (from what I'm aware of the Iraq sanctions programme and the Al-Shifa atrocity, I'm inclined to agree with Chomsky's conclusion).

That makes you right by default only.

You're making a major non-scientific error by not assuming it takes extreme narcissism to be in Clinton's position. It has nothing to do with judging Clinton; the blow job is evidence not of moral decay, but self-entitlement and narcissism which has been studied and demonstrated a gazillion times over whether you and Harris are aware of it or not.

And, are you doing sociology, psychology or social psychology? If you're doing the individual psychology of Bill Clinton, go for it, but that's got nothing to do with this. If you're doing the social psychology of power, then take a bleeding reasonable position up front as far as that field warrants: i.e., it usually takes grossly narcissistic personality types surrounded by layers of self-serving minions to run a massive organisation. It is non-scientific to assume otherwise because that's the picture the combined studies of these things leaves us with, again, whether you or Harris know this or not.

If you want to special plead, prove it with an analysis which shows Clinton is different and his psychiatry would be unlikely in the given context to cast others as ants.

True, you're the Sam Harris expert; I just check to see what he has to say on what I consider to be the crux interpreta of these problems. Does he have a new analysis of religion? When I say he's usually talking rubbish, I mean his analysis of religion as a phenomenon is very dumb, and for me there's not much point going further because that's the only worthwhile scientific endeavour related to all the hoo-ha. I'm not talking about the dozens of other arbitrary things he says I might agree with, which Chomsky somewhat correctly dismisses as "mere truism" (I don't dismiss them that way because imagining you're solving the mysteries of the universe, when you're not, is an important part of maturation, so I would be more generous than Chomsky).

And, from what I can see, Harris' consequentialism is not at all of the sort of utilitarianism you and I ascribe to at all! That's probably why he misunderstands Chomsky. You and I think consequences matter in meta-ethics, but we don't think ipso facto we should conduct analyses of world phenomena by consequences. Consider, Chomsky is a rationalist, so he thinks that ultimately there is no serious science outside primary rational constructs that then are externally validated. So, when explaining things, Chomsky thinks you're tinkering with fantasy by simply generating correlations, which is what a crude consequentialism of the sort Harris applies to religion is (correct me if I'm wrong, not having read him recently). In contrast, Chomsky is frequently utilitarian, but he calls it being tactical, and uses it in cases where the limits of scientific inquiry have been reached.

And this is why Chomsky is boring and Harris is a time-waster: Dumb correlations of the sort Harris does get our creative juices going. Rigorous science of the sort Chomsky favours is tedious and boring.

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:17 pm

I'm not sure what a consensual sex act has to do with anything, although I appreciate that you're trying to make a point about the pathology of power. I'm not sure what the studies say or how compelling their results are, but it doesn't strike me as intuitively obvious that Barack Obama is a less ethically minded person than you or me or the person next door. If Clinton treated his Sudanese victims as ants, then he was only really thinking of them in the same manner as most people in the West do (for all their claims to empathy or occasional charitable donations), which I think is a point that Chomsky makes in that exchange.

That the position tends to attract narcissists and psychopaths is probably unquestionable, but what that says about the individual Bill Clinton and his psychology at the time of the Al-Shifa attack is another story. It's not special pleading to state that we just don't know, just as we don't know whether George W. Bush is a good father or whether Kim Jong-un cries when he watches movies.

What Chomsky clearly gets wrong in this discussion is his interpretation of Harris's argument about intent. It's not about whether the perpetrator has "good intentions"—as Chomsky points out, many mass murderers do—but whether some intentions are objectively better and more likely to produce positive consequences than other intentions. If we grant that (a "trivial truth", in Chomsky's language), then it becomes quite insufficient to judge equal or comparable acts on consequences alone. This is really the same argument that you and Mugwump have had in here umpteen times, and as much as I've generally taken your view in those discussions, I think he's also made some compelling points in this area. 3000 people and their grieving friends and family members may not care whether they were killed maliciously or recklessly, but degree of malice or recklessness certainly shapes how we should consider the perpetrators and their overall utilitarian quality.

As for Sam Harris, I'm no expert on him by any means; though, I have bought a few of his books and watched a handful of videos of him speaking. His stuff on religion is really only ever interesting when he's talking about it in general terms (and let's not forget just how prevalent that form of cultural psychosis is, particularly in Harris's home country of the US); any comments he has to make on Islam are generally embarrassing and not worth paying attention to. Otherwise, I like him for his (expert) insights into the human brain and his philosophical explorations of ethics, which are among the most interesting writings in today's pop sci sphere. He's certainly no time-waster, unless, like Chomsky in the email exchange, you're in the mood to waste your time.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:15 pm

David wrote:
I'm not sure what a consensual sex act has to do with anything, although I appreciate that you're trying to make a point about the pathology of power. I'm not sure what the studies say or how compelling their results are, but it doesn't strike me as intuitively obvious that Barack Obama is a less ethically minded person than you or me or the person next door. If Clinton treated his Sudanese victims as ants, then he was only really thinking of them in the same manner as most people in the West do (for all their claims to empathy or occasional charitable donations), which I think is a point that Chomsky makes in that exchange.

That the position tends to attract narcissists and psychopaths is probably unquestionable, but what that says about the individual Bill Clinton and his psychology at the time of the Al-Shifa attack is another story. It's not special pleading to state that we just don't know, just as we don't know whether George W. Bush is a good father or whether Kim Jong-un cries when he watches movies.

Yes, but that's restating what I just said, isn't it? Might it be that you really agree with me, but you're uncomfortable stating that directly as I care a lot less about social niceties and group affirmation than you? If so, I get that.

So you wouldn't harp on about Clinton and get distracted, I asked you what you're doing: Psychology, social psychology, or sociology? Of course the Bill Clinton blow job has no general scientific merit! It was just a colourful illustration of the sort of behaviour the social science and social psychology predicts. (Please ignore it; I regret throwing it in! Fodder for red herrings is another reason why Chomsky is boring, BTW).

I don't know what makes you think Chomsky is judging on consequences alone. I've just explained to you he's an avowed rationalist, so knowing his thinking as well as I think I do, the likelihood of that constituting the extent of his thinking is about zero! Chomsky doesn't do psychology as I do, so he's not going to fill in the gaps as I've just done.

My view is rationalist in this instance because it fits the mechanisms of the psychiatry of power. But Chomsky does also do social psychology in this sense: He repeats the same things ad nauseum going back years because that is his data. States lie and lie and lie and cover and justify their arses off endlessly; and nothing much changes. Is Harris really, sincerely, positing the warmth of good intentions in a sociological analysis of a bombing? How ridiculous and fantastic if he is! C'mon David; that's as cringeworthy, as Mission Accomplished or "The Iraq war will only cost 300M".

If you want to be serious, combine the obvious imperial record, the psychiatry of violence and power, the social psychology of power and elitism, analyses of the layers of paid propaganda, and then tell us why you're taking a peculiar position in this case. Remember, there are stacks of modern content analyses enumerating this stuff in fine-grained detail; you just won't find it in the dumbed-down imperial fields like international relations both because it's embarrassing and takes serious effort to do properly, as anything aspiring in a scientific direction (restricted or not) does. Chomsky is just repeating those findings at a generalist level. But you won't find Harris going into that content analysis to refute Chomsky because the findings contradict his nonsense assumptions.

And yes, it is the same argument we've had on here, and the same people are still wrong both because they understand neither classical science nor contemporary cognitive science, and are not used to analysing their own positions beyond the bum-slapping applause of contemporary imperial excitement. Sometimes they refer to laughable "studies" that wouldn't survive five minutes in a serious field, or reference the latest "important paper" to feign rational analysis, but the same folk, as I say, are customarily wrong about most things because they're not trying to be reasonable, they're defending the medal of honour grandad was awarded back whenever, or some such primitive emotional construct.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:40 pm

^BTW, just to highlight another disingenuous element of the usual analyses here. Groups such as ISIS use fear amplification and iteration in their public relations, while dominant groups use immoral obfuscation and deception. For people to then compare the public relations of the two groups at face value is really cringeworthy.

I am almost happy to call them liars outright for putting forward a false analysis and deceiving people. The only thing holding me back is some might actually be dull enough to have not noticed. There's a real chance some folk have not spent two minutes of their waking lives pondering how sociology, culture and the like affect propaganda form, despite it being a huge field of its own lol.

You've already seen this type of fraud in "free speech" discussions concerning China. Because there's a complex interplay between the universal (the underlying science) and the contemporary local cultural form, this whole area is ripe for endless manipulation by propagandists. IMO, we have to start with the underlying science and move towards explaining the superficial variation. Once we've done that you've earned the intellectual right to deal with cultural issues. Prior to that, as I say, we might as well be talking about the dark side of the moon.

Last edited by pietillidie on Tue May 19, 2015 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:56 pm

pietillidie wrote:
David wrote:

Yes, but that's restating what I just said, isn't it? Might it be that you really agree with me, but you're uncomfortable stating that directly as I care a lot less about social niceties and group affirmation than you? If so, I get that.

If so, then that makes three of us; it was Chomsky, not Harris, who made the assertion that Clinton must have acted pathologically (i.e. without concern for potential humanitarian consequences and without remorse when the consequences became apparent). Harris makes no such claim either way and only criticises Chomsky's exercise in armchair psychology. I don't think he was ever defending the bombing in Sudan as 'well-intentioned'; he was merely arguing that it was a fundamentally different kind of act to the attack on the World Trade Centre. I don't know if I agree with him on that, but I think he was entitled to mount the argument.

Of course, we're not really talking about Clinton here (Hitchens, if I recall correctly, was one of the most vocal critics of the Clinton administration's foreign policy). The real disagreement at the core of the argument between Harris and Chomsky is the question of whether we can ascribe moral superiority to the West in (at least some) of its conflicts.

On some level, that's a totally puerile topic (you'll note that, unlike both Harris and Chomsky, I tend to reject discussions of morality altogether). But on another, it's a very important point of difference. Both of these guys have staked out their positions pretty well in other writing; Harris's The Moral Landscape is a highly compelling thought experiment in measuring societies by overall utility, while we all know what Chomsky thinks about American imperialism. I think it could have been possible for them to have a civil debate without Harris being treated like an idiot (which he most certainly isn't).

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:02 pm

David wrote:
If we're in agreement, then that makes three of us; it was Chomsky, not Harris, who made the assertion that Clinton must have acted pathologically (i.e. without concern for potential humanitarian consequences and without remorse when the consequences became apparent). Harris makes no such claim either way and only criticises Chomsky's exercise in armchair psychology.

Grr. I've just tried to explain to you Harris is wrong there; it's not armchair psychology, it's basic social psychology (or sociology or psychosocial studies or whatever--these fields overlap). Do you get the difference? The first is dealing with the individual, the second is dealing with structural expectations or group interactions. That's why I keep asking you: What field are you doing? Stop confusing them! Chomsky isn't confused, Harris is.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:15 pm

David wrote:
On some level, that's a totally puerile topic (you'll note that, unlike both Harris and Chomsky, I tend to reject discussions of morality altogether). But on another, it's a very important point of difference. Both of these guys have staked out their positions pretty well in other writing; Harris's The Moral Landscape is a highly compelling thought experiment in measuring societies by overall utility, while we all know what Chomsky thinks about American imperialism. I think it could have been possible for them to have a civil debate without Harris being treated like an idiot (which he most certainly isn't).

Fair enough, but he apparently knows less about Chomsky than I know about him. They don't even use the same terminology, and Harris is dumb for assuming that, given Chomsky is 138 years old! If you don't understand Chomsky from the innumerable times the bloke has spoken about rationalism and his views related to such, you're a bonehead who is speaking out of turn. I've explained Chomsky's highly-sophisticated rationalism dozens of times on here alone (perhaps futilely because I insulted someone's grandmother or something in the process). Harris should know this given how often he talks about realism; radical rationalism goes so far as to posit the brain bringing things into being (popularly described nowadays as "constructivism", but Chomsky's earlier work on this in linguistics was much more sophisticated than that, so please don't conflate the two!).

But, ignoring all of that, how anyone can think a strong rationalist like Chomsky is simply consequentialist is beyond me. More like he thinks the discussion is stupid because the initial assumptions are not up to scratch scientifically, so the whole thing is wasting time.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:09 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^BTW, just to highlight another disingenuous element of the usual analyses here. Groups such as ISIS use fear amplification and iteration in their public relations, while dominant groups use immoral obfuscation and deception. For people to then compare the public relations of the two groups at face value is really cringeworthy.

I am almost happy to call them liars outright for putting forward a false analysis and deceiving people. The only thing holding me back is some might actually be dull enough to have not noticed. There's a real chance some folk have not spent two minutes of their waking lives pondering how sociology, culture and the like affect propaganda form, despite it being a huge field of its own lol.

You've already seen this type of fraud in "free speech" discussions concerning China. Because there's a complex interplay between the universal (the underlying science) and the contemporary local cultural form, this whole area is ripe for endless manipulation by propagandists. IMO, we have to start with the underlying science and move towards explaining the superficial variation. Once we've done that we've earned the intellectual right to deal with cultural issues. Prior to that, as I say, we might as well be talking about the dark side of the moon.

One has to LOL at this, surely:

Bonehead Harris wrote:
Nothing in Chomsky’s account acknowledges the difference between intending to kill a child, because of the effect you hope to produce on its parents (we call this “terrorism”), and inadvertently killing a child in an attempt to capture or kill an avowed child murderer (we call this “collateral damage”). In both cases a child has died, and in both cases it is a tragedy. But the ethical status of the perpetrators, be they individuals or states, could hardly be more distinct.

Oh FFS Harris you complete dimwit, no one is doing psychology! Chomsky is just reversing our usual assumptions to demonstrate our hypocrisy, and the known nonsense power systems make up to justify themselves. It's simple logic, but call it sociology if you need to locate it in a field. But psychology? Idiot, Harris!

(As noted above, if Chomsky wanted to, he could actually do the contemporary social psychology of power and elitism, begin with the standard assumptions of that field and draw exactly the same conclusions he's drawn for years because that's what studies of power show).

Did you see Harris' cheap card trick there, David?

First, Harris poses the straw man that Chomsky is doing individual psychology (a particular discipline) when he's clearly not, and he then goes through a thought exercise which may or may not have a bearing on particular individual psychologies to prove a point about the individual psychology that Chomsky is not doing. The hilarious bit is this: Unlike me and much to my chagrin, Chomsky doesn't do psychology! That's how out of his depth Harris is engaging Chomsky: It never occurred to me for a single second Chomsky was doing that because Chomsky all but hates the field of psychology due to its theoretically sloppy, correlational approach!

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:32 pm

Perhaps I'm a bonehead too, because unless you're nailing Harris for anthropomorphising and ascribing morality to societies/nation states (a common sin), then I have no idea what you're talking about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: