Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What is the best way to get rid of Bill Shorten?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

She has a name, you know. Wink

But yeah, I agree. Vote 1 Penny Wong (once she's been parachuted into the house of reps, naturally!).

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:47 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Here's a very interesting article on Shorten. At least it will be apparently in 2 days time when it's published.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/bill-shorten-the-man-who-grew-good-at-manipulating-labors-machine-20150620-ghowyq

I personally find this bit most interesting.

Quote:
On entering Parliament, Shorten and his allies continued to consolidate and extend their factional strength. One organisation - long used and abused as a political plaything in the ALP - became a focus of attention.

With financial support from Shorten's core union base - the AWU and the plumbers' union - Landeryou and factional numbers man David Asmar sought first in 2009 and again, successfully, in 2012 to seize control of the disgraced HSU No.1 branch in Victoria. In both cases their opponents were a team linked to one-time Shorten ally turned bitter enemy, the controversial Kathy Jackson.

More than $2 million in union and parliamentary resources were thrown at the two HSU elections.

It was a risky move. The HSU was a political quagmire and, now in government, Shorten needed to be seen to have risen above union dogfights lest they land him in scandal.

Interestingly, the current state secretary of that union is Dianne Asmar, David Asmar's wife and Andrew Landeryou's wife was hired in a management role for a time immediately following the election.

The HSU (or HWU as it now trades http://www.hwu.org.au/ ) interestingly doesn't profile it's organisers on it's web site as many other unions do, particularly those in health. Interestingly, at least two of the paid organisers who were hired as soon as Dianne Asmar was elected as secretary, Dean Sherriff and Sel Sanli, were political allies who had been in local government as elected officials and had zero industrial relations or health sector experience. Also interestingly one of those and several others have had their right of entry ticket revoked by Fair Work Australia.

For a bit of really interesting background on Dean Sherriff, try Crickey. http://www.crikey.com.au/2004/02/11/the-death-of-a-12m-student-union/

Read that and the aged article and see how many names in common.

Food for thought, or not, depending on how firmly the blinkers are attached.

Landeryou? Now there's a nasty piece of work if there ever was one (used to run the gutter website Vex News — I always felt dirty on the rare occasions I visited it). I don't want to jump to too many conclusions, but if that guy is in any way associated with Shorten's cadre then it's no wonder I have such little time for Bill.

Read the articles I linked to FFS.

In the aged article,
Quote:
Shorten is renowned for editing friends and allies as politically required, but one key player has remained close throughout his ascendancy - old Melbourne university mate, notorious former blogger and sometime business consultant Andrew Landeryou.

With keen political instincts honed from childhood at the feet of his Labor Right stalwart father, Bill, Landeryou is Shorten's unofficial adviser, wordsmith and watchdog.

"Bill's muse" is how Stephen Conroy, Shorten's joint Right faction chief, is known to describe him.

As Shorten worked towards a seat in Parliament and then the Labor leadership, Landeryou ran vicious blogs The Other Cheek and VEXNEWS, turning his ire on anyone who challenged his friend's political interests: politicians, unionists, business figures and journalists were targeted. He was relentless in his attacks on Sercombe during Shorten's move on Maribyrnong.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:54 pm

Well, obviously I didn't! Thanks for alerting me to that part of the article, though – that's very, very revealing.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:12 pm

Absolutely it is, as is the whole mess when you look at it, Shorten is just part of it.

For the record i actually don't have an axe to grind against Shorten, I'm not trying to bring him down and I'm not the government. I just think he's bland on the exterior and underneath the wallpaper him and Abbott have a lot more in common than they have in difference which is a scary situation for Australia.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:16 pm

Yes, I know it's from the antichrist Liberal party newsletter AKA the Herald Sun. Rolling Eyes

However, interesting view on who the Labor candidates are to replace Shorten.

Quote:
ACCEPTED wisdom, especially among Labor types, is that Bill Shorten will never win an election against Tony Abbott. That was the view prior to his Royal Commission appearance, and it’s not getting better.

Mr Shorten has a sincerity problem. He’s got so much of it that no one believes him.

No matter the lessons of the Rudd/Gillard years about decapitating incumbent leaders, Labor is no doubt thinking hard about who will replace Mr Shorten in coming weeks and months, in order to give him or her a clear run at an expected late 2016 election.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/is-labor-thinking-about-a-replacement-for-bill-shorten/story-fntzoymk-1227437172576

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:39 am

^He won't. He has nothing to counteract the authoritarian fear and deranged panic Abbott pedals. If he had an independent view of the economy, jobs, education and national security, he could kick Abbott's arse to kingdom come, but he doesn't.

In my entire life I have never thought about setting up a new party. But I am now motherf^&%$ing half-seriously considering it as something to do before I die. Perhaps some infrastructure which precedes a new party, instead.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:22 am

As much as he's the victim of a rather over-enthusiastic News Corp media and very opportunistic government, I can't help but feel encouraged by this news:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jul/14/bill-shortens-approval-rating-falls-in-wake-of-royal-commission-poll-shows

Labor still up 52 - 48, though. Faceless men of the ALP, you know what you need to do.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:05 pm

Still Better then Daniel Andrews who is weak as piss
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:35 pm

Interesting comment Dave, what is it about Dandrews that has got your goat?
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:04 pm

David wrote:

Second idea: get him to do an unscripted speech without access to the day's talking points and see if he explodes.

They tried that with Abbott, it came close but sadly it didn't work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wT9XS_TvzQ

David wrote:
As much as he's the victim of a rather over-enthusiastic News Corp media and very opportunistic government, I can't help but feel encouraged by this news:
Labor still up 52 - 48, though. Faceless men of the ALP, you know what you need to do.

Option 3: Sit back and let Abbott talk himself into oblivion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCVP2gvC32U
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:54 pm

Looks like Bills mates may be coming back to do the job, if Turnbull doesn't do it first.

Quote:
Bill Shorten's best mates are knee-deep in gift card branch-stacking scandal

One of Bill Shorten's closest allies and friends had his own ALP membership paid by an anonymous gift card, as the fallout of the branch stacking scandal engulfing the Victorian ALP widens.
Plumbers' union federal and state secretary Earl Setches, a key factional lieutenant of Shorten, had his own membership paid for by an Australia Post Gift Card in both 2013 and 2014.
A Fairfax investigation has discovered that nearly 1000 ALP memberships and renewals have been paid for by anonymous gift cards over the past four years by prominent suburban Labor warlords. The scam is centred on Setches' plumbers union and factional powerbroker David Asmar – two factional players rusted on to Shorten's political machine.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/bill-shortens-best-mates-are-kneedeep-in-gift-card-branchstacking-scandal-20151104-gkqlez.html#ixzz3qWDen8Zg
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

The reference to David Asmar is interesting, his wife as detailed in the article is in charge of the HSU No1 branch in Vic which has achieved much recent notoriety.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:28 pm

David wrote:
Vote 1 Penny Wong (once she's been parachuted into the house of reps, naturally!).

Indeed; she's the most talented and insightful ALP politician by a country mile.

Yes, now Abbott and rabid loons are out of the way, it's time to go for the throat of these vile, in-bred ALP sects and their cringeworthy branches. Stui's time in the sun has finally arrived!

Once that's done, if Moderate Malcolm keeps sanity on the table (a much more significant contribution than it sounds), it will then take a serious party to arrest declining real wages. General sanity, the current PR gag order on repugnant billionaires, a GST, and an incestuous zombie fest of an ALP have no hope of doing that (with the GST worsening it somewhat, as discusssed).

That's when a reformed ALP will be needed.

In the interim, the general sanity which accompanies Moderate Malcolm is vital to ensuring much better policy and much better people are rewarded in the political marketplace.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:24 pm

Wong will never win an election. Not a hope. And I rather suspect that she's smart enough to know it.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:43 am

^ Because she's Asian?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:50 am

Because she is:

• Female
  • Unmarried
  • Lesbian
  • All of those and a mother!

Her Asian background doesn't help, of course, but in the face of the factors above, it's just a sprig of parsley on top of a great big plate. Labor is fully aware of the way that Gillard - the most competent Prime Minister we have had since Chifley - got crucified for being only two of the four unmentionable things above, and will be understandably very, very reluctant to repeat the mistake. It doesn't matter how competent Wong is (or is not), she's not frontline leadership material because of her massive handicaps. Not in the party that saw Gillard crucified. They wouldn't be dumb enough to put her in, and if they did, the people of Australia wouldn't be smart enough to vote for her.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9   

Jump to: