Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What is the best way to get rid of Bill Shorten?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ They'll certainly have more than enough material. Plus, it'll provide a nice distraction from the next government's inevitable inadequacies. Lock it in, Eddie.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:45 pm

David wrote:
It's a long shot, but fingers crossed.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-12/shorten-to-front-royal-commission-about-time-in-workers-union/6543202

(Of course, that's not to say that I approve of smear campaigns or governments wasting taxpayer money on thinly-veiled political assassination schemes. But as it's in the public interest for Shorten to resign, I'm happy to put my principles to one side over this.)

You've been hanging out with CP & TBF for far too long now David.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:45 pm

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
When he starts copying Abbotts lines about why he won't answer questions about payments to people smugglers under Labor other than to say they never paid boats to turn around (because they never HAD a policy of trying to turn back boats in the first place) you have to wonder.

Labor spent all yesterday on the front foot belting the Libs and all today on the back foot. Grod it's a circus, if these fucktards weren't in charge of the country it would be comical.

I vote we arrange a nuclear strike on Parliament house to coincide with a full sitting of both houses and start again from scratch. Maybe give Ricky Muir a warning to stay home that day.

All those in favour say "Hi mr federal policeman, what can I do for you".

Razz

Ahem. You can differentiate between paying people smugglers & paying for info/intelligence?

I've got it, lets have a Royal Commission into The mad Misogynist Monks time as PM. Of course he's set the precedent.

Yeah, can you differentiate between paying them to turn back and paying them not to leave? Open your eyes dude. Rolling Eyes

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:49 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
When he starts copying Abbotts lines about why he won't answer questions about payments to people smugglers under Labor other than to say they never paid boats to turn around (because they never HAD a policy of trying to turn back boats in the first place) you have to wonder.

Labor spent all yesterday on the front foot belting the Libs and all today on the back foot. Grod it's a circus, if these fucktards weren't in charge of the country it would be comical.

I vote we arrange a nuclear strike on Parliament house to coincide with a full sitting of both houses and start again from scratch. Maybe give Ricky Muir a warning to stay home that day.

All those in favour say "Hi mr federal policeman, what can I do for you".

Razz

Ahem. You can differentiate between paying people smugglers & paying for info/intelligence?

I've got it, lets have a Royal Commission into The mad Misogynist Monks time as PM. Of course he's set the precedent.

Yeah, can you differentiate between paying them to turn back and paying them not to leave? Open your eyes dude. Rolling Eyes

We have UNHRC evidence on the 7.30 report right now about what the Mad Monks government is doing.

Do you have evidence to support your conclusion rather than the action itself?

Last edited by watt price tully on Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:52 pm

I don't have Ricky Muir a warning to stay home that day to give.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:12 pm

watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-12/shorten-to-front-royal-commission-about-time-in-workers-union/6543202

(Of course, that's not to say that I approve of smear campaigns or governments wasting taxpayer money on thinly-veiled political assassination schemes. But as it's in the public interest for Shorten to resign, I'm happy to put my principles to one side over this.)

You've been hanging out with CP & TBF for far too long now David.

Yep, 'cause only right-wing Christian fundamentalists think Shorten is a waste of space.

I'm sure he'd be very happy for people to believe that.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:17 pm

Just fundamentalists it seems Razz
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:21 pm

I wouldn't say there's much fundamentalist about wanting a courageous, competent, future-oriented leader and being sorely disappointed by what's on offer. I didn't actually think it was possible for a non-rusted-on Labor voter to be impressed with what Shorten's served up so far (and even most of those knew from the beginning that picking him over Albo was a bad call).

But given you take a different position to mine, can you explain what's good about Shorten (apart from the fact that he's better than Abbott) and why we should be excited about the prospect of a government led by him?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:33 pm

HAL wrote:
I don't have Ricky Muir a warning to stay home that day to give.

Then for grods sake, give it to him Hal. WPT is suffering and not thinking straight.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:34 pm

I think WPT is a lot of things.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:48 pm

David wrote:

Davids link wrote:
On Thursday, Mr Shorten said he would be happy to testify, following a report that the AWU had struck a deal with a Melbourne construction company, which involved the company paying more than $38,000 for union memberships for its employees.

A series of senior Coalition figures, including Prime Minister Tony Abbott, claimed Mr Shorten had questions to answer about the agreement.

2 thinks David.
1. Shorten striking a deal with an employer (even if it's to pay Union fees) is called enterprise bargaining, it's exactly like a mid range Exec getting free use of a company car in exchange for slightly less wages.
Nothing illegal and benefiting the members by putting money in workers pockets rather than pay it as tax.
No-one is for a minute suggesting that Shorten benefited in any way personally but... we suddenly NEED for him to front a Royal Commission to answer questions about it?

Davids link wrote:

A series of senior Coalition figures, including Prime Minister Tony Abbott, claimed Mr Shorten had questions to answer about the agreement.
"I will not be responding to matters that are being considered by the royal commission until I am able to appear.

Shorten is right on the money.
The Abbott Government really should not be pre-empting or commenting on any questions that the Commission is to put to Shorten.
It is a blatant abuse of the system and is reducing the role of Royal Commissions to little more than a Kangaroo courts!
Have you noticed how these "questions that need to answered" media releases are trotted out every time a Senior Liberal has got himself into trouble lately?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:07 pm

David you be very excited about this Shorten Alleged Things he did
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:20 pm

3.14159 wrote:

2 thinks David.
1. Shorten striking a deal with an employer (even if it's to pay Union fees) is called enterprise bargaining, it's exactly like a mid range Exec getting free use of a company car in exchange for slightly less wages.

Actually no, it's not even remotely similar.

3.14159 wrote:
Nothing illegal and benefiting the members by putting money in workers pockets rather than pay it as tax.
it may not be illegal but it's considered an improper arrangement by most. It's a tactic the CFMEU uses to blackmail smaller companies into cooperation. The only benefit in this case is to the union. Those employees who choose to be members are and those who don't aren't. The company is basically buying the unions cooperation.

3.14159 wrote:
No-one is for a minute suggesting that Shorten benefited in any way personally but...

Not so sure about that.

Sydney Morning Herald wrote:
Bill Shorten oversaw a controversial deal under which a Melbourne builder paid his union hundreds of thousands of dollars over a decade for its employees' union dues.

The deal, with builder Winslow Constructors has been criticised by current Australian Workers Union state secretary Ben Davis, who told the Royal Commission into union corruption it had "profoundly" weakened the union's industrial position in the workplace.

Receipts and emails provided to the inquiry show that in 2005, Mr Shorten's Australian Workers Union Victorian branch invoiced Winslow Constructors for $38,228.68 to pay for 105 union memberships. The invoice shows the AWU requesting payment from the company in 2004/5.

Separate documents indicate the payments continued at a similar rate the following financial year when Mr Shorten, now opposition leader, was still branch secretary.

Deals such as Winslow's boosted the AWU membership numbers and, in turn, Mr Shorten's factional power within the Labor Party, including over preselection of parliamentary candidates.

The practice of companies paying membership dues is frowned on by many unions but appears to have been commonplace for the AWU for many years.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/shorten-deal-with-builder-weakens-union-20150610-ghl20y.html

I read something recently that someone (may have been the ABS) identified a massive disconnect in some areas between the supposed level of union membership based on union provided figures, and figures provided from employees. The gap was some companies paying for ghost memberships to buy union cooperation.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:02 am

Great opinion piece on the problems with Shorten's leadership and the ALP in general:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/18/if-labor-wants-a-shot-at-the-next-election-it-needs-a-leader-who-is-not-bill-shorten

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:39 am

Great article? Wow! How naive are you to regard that that glib, shallow assassination manifesto as a "great article"? I have never liked Shorton, but fair is fair, and this dickhead's Guardian article is mostly just low-grade nastiness dressed up as journalism. Like you and like the author, I have very little time or respect for the ALP or for its current leader, but just because I agree with someone's political stance that doesn't mean I have to regard low-quality smearing and trash talk as good journalism.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9   

Jump to: