Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What is the best way to get rid of Bill Shorten?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Still better then Turnbull who is no Different then Abbott
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:31 pm

She (Gillard) would have been better if the Greens didn't demand full inter-party agreement on the contents of nearly all Media releases and ALL policy matters.
Abbott in the opposition chair, the Greens with the balance of power.
The poor girl never had a chance!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:21 pm

^ Yeah, well, sucks to be a minority PM and be forced to make compromises. If she didn't want it, she could have always stepped aside and let Abbott deal with the crossbenchers.

Tannin, I share some of your pessimism, but I also think Wong would be very popular with younger voters. It wouldn't totally surprise me if she won a federal election for Labor.

The trouble is that, now, with Turnbull in charge, the Labor leadership is a bit of a poisoned chalice. Anyone who takes over from Shorten will have a very tough fight on their hands.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:36 pm

3.14159 wrote:
She (Gillard) would have been better if the Greens didn't demand full inter-party agreement on the contents of nearly all Media releases and ALL policy matters.
Abbott in the opposition chair, the Greens with the balance of power.
The poor girl never had a chance!

I'd agree with that.

Couple of other things that didn't help her was getting that numbnut Scot Mc Tiernan as advisor (award winning twat) and the way the whole carbon tax was handled.

She could have got on the front foot against the Ju LIAR tag if her advisors weren't gutless pillocks. All she had to say was essentially that people can say things they mean but, when circumstances change you need to reassess. Ask the question of who out there has never had to change their mind/position based on changed circumstances and so on.

Instead they sat back and let Abbott burn her at the stake as a liar. Dunno if it was Labor or the Greens who knobbled her but knobbled she was and never really recovered, particularly once McTwat came on board.

The whole gender thing was interesting. I reckon that although there was definitely some misogyny, particularly from some right wing tools in the media, the majority of blokes were willing to cut her some slack whereas women are usually the harshest critics of other women.

I won't comment on Wong other than to say I don't think she's up to the job for none of the reasons Tannin mentioned.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:57 am

The Coalition have hit a 53-47 lead in the polls today, and Shorten's approval rating remains under 20%. Things are looking bad for him.

A twist in all this, though, is that the two main contenders to replace Shorten may struggle to hold onto their seats this election.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2015/11/09/poll-bludger-are-the-greens-gunning-for-albo-and-plibersek/

Quote:
Transposing booth results onto the federal boundaries proposed in the recent draft redistribution suggests the Greens might have enough support to take the inner-Sydney seats of Sydney and Grayndler from Labor — perhaps not surprisingly, given their fairly handsome wins in the partly corresponding state seats of Balmain and Newtown.

The finding tied in well with Greens leader Richard Di Natale’s speech to the party’s national conference on Saturday, in which he proclaimed that the demise of the two-party system was at hand, and that a member of his own party would one day be at the head of government.

Needless to say, Di Natale’s recent expansiveness about his party’s future prospects has not been sitting well with Labor.

The Greens’ sensitivity about what could potentially be achieved with help from Liberal preferences is made all the more acute by the fact that their most obvious targets — Anthony Albanese in Grayndler and Tanya Plibersek in Sydney — are without peer in the Labor Party in terms of their popularity with the inner-city left.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:46 pm

The real twist will be interesting to see how Labors attitude toward the Greens changes. as the Greens really set their cap to be a competitor.

The Greens are going to have to walk a bit of a tightrope there, if Labor starts to view the Greens as a genuine threat in the house of reps, their reaction could be quite interesting.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:33 pm

There's not a lot of love lost between Labor and the Greens nowadays, but the problem for both of them is that they kind of need to work together. Labor is increasingly going to struggle to attain government without Green support, while the Greens' only alternative is bargaining with the Liberals and getting very little of their legislative agenda on the table.

It's a situation that the Libs (and their predecessors) and the Nationals have been negotiating for nearly a century. There have been many times when they wanted to tell each other to sod off, but they simply never had that luxury.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:39 pm

Is Di Natale actually serious about a Prime Minister being a member of the Greens in the near future?

Christine Milne wasn't this optimistic about her party's chances of having the majority of power in the House of Representatives within the next 100 years.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:26 pm

They're serious and goodonum, they aspire to be more than just the balance of power. It won't take 100 years to sort them out, more like 20 to either become a legit option or just remain a balance of power option ala the democrats. And we all know what happened to them.

Whether they succeed or not is up to Labors response.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:43 pm

Reckon the silver toff Mal has made his first big mistake with wanting to hike the GST, thats a sure way too kill off his political honeymoon faster than a snowflake melting in the desert. His policies are same as abbotts, same, no changes, hes a snakeoil saleman peddling tonys policies, but minus the bogan slogans, and delivered in a stentorian voice, reeking wih elocution lessons. Once punters wake up to fact hes no differrent too abbott, things will get better for shorten, but it may take some time yet, as MSM seem obsessed in Mal, yet to put him under the griller with hard questions too.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:45 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Still better then Turnbull who is no Different then Abbott

Spot on dave, Mals policies exactly mirror abbotts, no change, he even backflipped on climate change and marriage equality, so much for his social concience, the chardonnay left were so taken in by. Razz

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:33 pm

I don't think you could get two more different Liberal politicians than Abbott and Turnbull. Clearly, both are subject to the party room, but if you don't think that Abbott's ideological bent has been a significant factor in the direction this government has taken over the last two years, then you know nothing about politics. It stands to reason then that, with time, Turnbull will also shift the party in a more small-l liberal direction (and to an extent already has, at least in terms of rhetoric).

It remains to be seen what he does with the policies he's inherited, though. I agree that this will be his biggest test as PM. If he keeps most of it intact after the next election, then history will judge him harshly for it.

In the meantime, I'm putting my dislike of Shorten to one side and preferencing Labor over the Coalition in 2016. This government has well and truly earned a first term election defeat.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:00 pm

David wrote:
I don't think you could get two more different Liberal politicians than Abbott and Turnbull. Clearly, both are subject to the party room, but if you don't think that Abbott's ideological bent has been a significant factor in the direction this government has taken over the last two years, then you know nothing about politics. It stands to reason then that, with time, Turnbull will also shift the party in a more small-l liberal direction (and to an extent already has, at least in terms of rhetoric).

It remains to be seen what he does with the policies he's inherited, though. I agree that this will be his biggest test as PM. If he keeps most of it intact after the next election, then history will judge him harshly for it.

In the meantime, I'm putting my dislike of Shorten to one side and preferencing Labor over the Coalition in 2016. This government has well and truly earned a first term election defeat.

Maybe IF you did not hate Shorten you might see this Clearer

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:13 pm

I don't hate Shorten and I agree with David on this.

If you want the Labor party to not only be a good opposition but be able to to be a good/very good government, Shorten aint the man to lead them. There's other issues no doubt but a good effective leader could drag them to where they need to be. They haven't really had one since Hawke, with apologies to Keating.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:24 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
David wrote:

Maybe IF you did not hate Shorten you might see this Clearer

I don't 'hate' Shorten. I just think he's a woefully incompetent opposition leader and would make a poor PM.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9   

Jump to: