Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Broomhead at AFL Level - Dissapointing

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:31 pm
Post subject: Broomhead at AFL Level - DissapointingReply with quote

I been quite Disappointed in Broomhead at AFL.

He has Fantastic Skills and Great Finisher but he seems just to go Missing for Too Long.

Getting 30-40 touches in the VFL is way Different then AFL Level.

Just seem to Float thru Games.

Needs to pick up his Intensity.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

For heavens sake dave, give the kid a break, in footy terms, experience, hes only a baby, give him time, say around 50 games !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:39 pm

not his best game yesterday, but young players will be inconsistent.
give him time Dave!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:40 pm

I'm more concerned at Seedsman's inconsistent form.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:40 pm

I guess he does but keep in mind he's only played the good part of 15 games - many as the sub. He hasn't really had a good consistent run at it. He's not really a strong physical presence either so he gets thrown around by opposition players which can't be good for your confidence. If he can play out the year then it will show that the club have faith in his ability and believe that he's going to be something. Needs a good solid preseason to develop his endurance and physicality. Next year will tell us more about where he's at.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:42 pm

Seedsman annoys me with his drifting in and out of games and form. He tears the drug cheats a new one and hasn't really excelled since then. Yes I know he was injured but what's he done since.
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:48 pm

He would have two completely different rolls between the AFL and VFL side.

Tough gig playing the small forward roll, starting or finishing as a sub a lot of the time. He then goes back after one or two weeks and plays 80% midfield.

I have no doubts and plenty of patience.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:53 pm

I don't reckon Seedy is 100% right. Might be best to give him the week off, plus the bye, then a run in the twos while we play Freo, all with a view to getting him cherry ripe for the rest of the season.

He's a genuine weapon when he's on, but he needs to play as a winger and attacking half-back. As a genuine defender, he's not much chop. The answer is top get Ramsey back so that Seedy can do what he does best - play the fast outside game with superb delivery into the pointy bit of the ground.

Broomhead just hasn't clicked this year. Second year blues for him. (Yes, he's been on the list for longer than that, but it's his second year of senior footy.) Dr Tannin prescribes game time, followed by more game time. Whether thgat should be in the twos or the ones, I'm not sure. In reality, it will depend on the availability of players like Greenwood and Ramsey.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:05 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
For heavens sake dave, give the kid a break, in footy terms, experience, hes only a baby, give him time, say around 50 games !

De Goey and Kennedy seem to have a Real Crack when they are out there but To me at time Broomhead seems to Coast

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:16 pm

No, Dave, he doesn't "coast" - he's just not strong enough yet to impose himself on the game.

I thought that bringing Broomhead into the seniors after the Coburg game was a strange decision - shortly after that game (which I attended), I wrote the following about him:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Broomy remains a difficult mix of the excellent and the not-so-good. I don't think his attack on the ball in dispute or the opponent with the ball is quite effective enough - he still doesn't look to me to be sufficiently strong to play consistent 4-quarter AFL footy. Certainly not saying he won't get there (I think he will) but he just doesn't yet have the physique to do the defensive things - a few of the Coburg centre clearances were straight through where he was and a couple resulted in easy goals.

Similarly, I think his physique prevents him from doing what he'd like to do in the Seniors. I think the selectors are excited by his football skills and want him to develop at AFL level but I think he's too slight, still, to deal with an AFL pack.

Kennedy, by contrast, looked like a contested ball machine in the same VFL game. I thought he was easily best on ground that day and it was no surprise to see him get 4 clearances in the Seniors yesterday (one behind the Great Dane's team-high of 5 and equal with Pendles), despite his limited game time.

Watching that VFL game, the selection decision should have been a no-brainer - Kennedy for Adams. Kennedy is now AFL-ready and Broomhead isn't. I have no idea which of them is the "better footballer" but it's quite obvious which of them should be brought into the Senior side if a mid-fielder is required.
Museman 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:23 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
No, Dave, he doesn't "coast" - he's just not strong enough yet to impose himself on the game.

I thought that bringing Broomhead into the seniors after the Coburg game was a strange decision - shortly after that game (which I attended), I wrote the following about him:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Broomy remains a difficult mix of the excellent and the not-so-good. I don't think his attack on the ball in dispute or the opponent with the ball is quite effective enough - he still doesn't look to me to be sufficiently strong to play consistent 4-quarter AFL footy. Certainly not saying he won't get there (I think he will) but he just doesn't yet have the physique to do the defensive things - a few of the Coburg centre clearances were straight through where he was and a couple resulted in easy goals.

Similarly, I think his physique prevents him from doing what he'd like to do in the Seniors. I think the selectors are excited by his football skills and want him to develop at AFL level but I think he's too slight, still, to deal with an AFL pack.

Kennedy, by contrast, looked like a contested ball machine in the same VFL game. I thought he was easily best on ground that day and it was no surprise to see him get 4 clearances in the Seniors yesterday (one behind the Great Dane's team-high of 5 and equal with Pendles), despite his limited game time.

Watching that VFL game, the selection decision should have been a no-brainer - Kennedy for Adams. Kennedy is now AFL-ready and Broomhead isn't. I have no idea which of them is the "better footballer" but it's quite obvious which of them should be brought into the Senior side if a mid-fielder is required.

Spot on.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:40 pm

First round pick.
As a 3rd year player and a midget at that
you would expect him to be exciting the masses.
It ain't happening.
Keep playing him and don't trade him yet.
But, after 3 years the clock starts ticking loud

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:46 pm

ad4eva wrote:
He would have two completely different rolls between the AFL and VFL side.

yep, ham and salad when playing vfl and chicken, cheese and mayo when playing afl.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:04 pm

Im the first one to say that you don't judge a player until hes had 50 odd games in the ones BUT I also get where Dave is coming from.

You don't get the ball nearly 40 times in the VFL unless you really want it badly but Im just not that convinced he wants it that badly in the seniors.

Whether that's between the ears or otherwise, I don't know but I remember Maxy saying during the commentary that they have had a lot of trouble getting the weight on him since he has been at the Pies. He doesn't strike me as timid by any stretch but maybe he just doesn't have the confidence to believe he can really impose a contest yet. Skill and pace is a great start, hopefully the rest isn't to far away.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:21 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Pies4shaw wrote:

Dead on. Broomy is lacking the size and power and is at times just a tad slow in his decision making. He is a slight build and you notice at AFL level he can't pull off what he can at VFL level. His snaps at goal at AFL are a perfect example. He hasn't quite got the necessary strength and ability to buy a bit of space to complete the job. Because he can't hold off opponents or fend off he can't get any power in those shots. It is just a matter of time though. I think he will be the answer to out crumbing weakness up forward. He has excellent roving skills and great goal awareness. I am not worried in the slightest.

But BK is ready to make his impact and yes I agree he should have played all day instead. We were two inside midfielders short yesterday. If Adams toe is ok this week I think we should still give BK a full game. We need to win more first dibs and halve more stoppages. We were creamed in that area. The solution is in the wings, we just have to pile games into Adams, BK and De Goey and get Greenwood in. Teams are scoring too easily from stoppages because we lack tough, ready to go midfielders.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7   

Jump to: