Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jake Kelly and James Stewart regrets?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
No Jackass you just "go the man" when you blog. Swoop articulated some healthy discussion re James Stewart and you waffle on about him being the "arbiter" etc.... Disagree, raise alternate points of view and argue on merit. Don't just attack people whom are prepared to flesh out well constructed, researched albeit different points of view that you have.

Wow, thanks for the heads up...

Read my posts, I've made alternate points and argued them.

So I'm not able to question somebody openly dismissing comments from the club as lies.

I'll stand on my record for doing the research and make comments as I see fit thanks.

Attack the man... pffft!
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:25 pm

Is it just me or is it fair to say that if reid and keefe were available and moore was a year older, this thread wouldnt exist.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:37 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Is it just me or is it fair to say that if reid and keefe were available and moore was a year older, this thread wouldnt exist.

Good observation and likely it would take some of the steam out of the discussion.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:43 pm

There appears to be some blatant dismissal (by a few) of the clubs claims that they didn't take the F/S option because they wanted flexibility in trading.

What would they be saying now if the club had locked in Stewart but then the Wellingham trade fell through because the Weagles wanted an exchange of late picks to balance the deal and our 2nd pick wasn't available. We lose pick 18 and then lose Wellingham via PSD for nothing after WCEs have taken Grundy with their retained pick 18. Would they be happy to Have effectively swapped Stewart for Grundy?
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:01 pm

jackcass wrote:
There appears to be some blatant dismissal (by a few) of the clubs claims that they didn't take the F/S option because they wanted flexibility in trading.

What would they be saying now if the club had locked in Stewart but then the Wellingham trade fell through because the Weagles wanted an exchange of late picks to balance the deal and our 2nd pick wasn't available. We lose pick 18 and then lose Wellingham via PSD for nothing after WCEs have taken Grundy with their retained pick 18. Would they be happy to Have effectively swapped Stewart for Grundy?

A lot of holes in this argument Jackcass.
You maybe correct but 17 prior picks bypassed Grundy.
He may have been bypassed one more time before we picked him up for pick 19.
We just don't know.
But good ( potential ) big KPP are not that easy to find and Stewart fell into that category.

Last edited by thompsoc on Wed May 20, 2015 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
mattys123 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:12 pm

No regrets at all about Kelly, none what so ever.

We took Jonathan Marsh instead, Marsh will end up being a far better player then Kelly, who at best is going to be handy flanker/winger type.

Stewart is the tough one, he showed next to nothing in his draft year at under 18's, and wasn't rated highly by most clubs including ours.

We took Ramsay with the second round pick which probably would have been what we had to give up for Stewart if we chose him as a father/son.

Stewart for me seems like a Jesse White type forward, he's never going to be your number 1 or even number 2 forward, but will be very handy as that athletic type that assists the star forwards.

I'm happy with Ramsay and Marsh though instead of both of the possible father/sons at this stage.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:14 pm

thompsoc wrote:
jackcass wrote:

A lot of holes in this argument Jackcass.
You maybe correct but 17 prior picks bypassed Grundy.
He may have been bypassed one more time before we picked him up for pick 19.
We just don't know.
But good big KPP are not that easy to find and Stewart fell into that category.

It is a hypothetical and yes, Weagles may well have overlooked Grundy allowing us to take him at 19. But we then lose either Kennedy or Broomhead.

My point being, is Stewart worth 1 of those 3 and Ramsay? Was it a risk worth taking or did the club electing to retain all their picks for the trade period provide the best possible outcome?

KPP are tough to find but as Luke Ball indicated there were doubts Stewart would ever be a KPP. There's no evidence to date to suggest he is or will be, playing as 3rd tall at the moment.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:23 pm

Yes Jackcass you make some very good points.
Personally I like getting the big guys sorted out first.
But that is just me.
I was rapt we got Grundy at pick 18.
Premierships start with a quality ruckman.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:03 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/craig-stewart-slams-former-club-collingwood-over-lack-of-respect-for-son-james-stewart/story-fnp04d70-1227361905102
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:18 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/craig-stewart-slams-former-club-collingwood-over-lack-of-respect-for-son-james-stewart/story-fnp04d70-1227361905102

Can someone post the article, behind a firewall.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:28 pm

Read this for a Laugh

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/expie-labels-sons-draft-case-a-disgrace-20150520-gh66qf.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:56 pm

He has a point. Not the worst thing I've ever heard a club do, and we were certainly under no obligation to take them—indeed, I'm glad that we made a decision based on club needs, not sentimentality. Still, telling him at the last moment like that exemplifies the lack of regard football clubs have for potential draftees' welfare. They really are treated like cattle.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:52 am

Fairly obvious they wouldn't finish doing their assessment until after the draft camp, especially if it's a player they're uncertain of or if they unclear of their broader intentions as claimed.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:08 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Read this for a Laugh

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/expie-labels-sons-draft-case-a-disgrace-20150520-gh66qf.html

So his whole problem was that even though we had made no commitment to him prior, we told him we wouldn't use a pick on him but would rookie him if he was still there.
He then had an issue with the uncertainty of what would happen before year 12 exams ????

What about the 200 odd other kids in the draft that had uncertainty.

What about the 100 odd kids that didn't get drafted at all ?

What a crock. pathetic really.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:36 am

As reported in today's newspaper.
They didn't rate him!
"It was the best thing for James as it turned out," Stewart said, "and once the decision's made it's made. I remember [recruiting boss] Derek Hine calling me about midday on the last day of the draft camp in October.

"He didn't give a reason and I didn't expect one. They obviously didn't rate him highly enough and that's their right, but he had been in the AIS so he was on their radar.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: