Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jake Kelly and James Stewart regrets?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazza wrote:
Please don't bring up Liam Picken...... Crying or Very sad
I LOVED his father Billy playing for Collingwood in the Seventies.

Heeeerrrreeeee ccccooooommmeeessss Billy!
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:49 pm

jackcass wrote:
Heeeerrrreeeee ccccooooommmeeessss Billy!

Ahhh.............the memories of that great man........ Very Happy Cool

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:49 pm

Not actually performing all that much better than Gault...

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=25&pid1=3821&tid2=5&pid2=3699&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S
Museman 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:02 pm

jackcass wrote:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=25&pid1=3821&tid2=5&pid2=3699&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

Accept Gault has 2 years on him, I would expect Stewart might be well past where Gault currently sits now in 2 years.

Nothing wrong with discussing whether we may have missed one or two.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:40 pm

jackcass wrote:

3.8 marks v 1.7 as a key forward ?

Hes traveling better than Gault. Ive watched him live and no doubt he is developing just like Gault is but in terms of his role in the structure he is much more important than the stats indicate.

Cameron has been freed up more with Stewart and McCarthy playing important roles. Stewart as the third tall is leading well and consistently, creating a contest and keeps his man occupied preventing the Cameron double team. He looks to be gaining confidence each week.

That said I think Gault was offering similar and while the stats were not sensational, his role as a third tall was important to our structures.
We have lost both games hes been out.

Still, hard to criticise a decision that gave us Ramsay

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:05 pm

Stewart was not rated by Hine.
He was not nominated for a father/son pick.
Whether it was first, second, third or fourth
round pick. It was up to Hine to match a nominated pick.
Exactly like the Dogs wanting Moore at pick 5 and we threw in
our first pick to beat them because Moore was nominated F/S by us.
No nomination meant we couldn't get the jump on the other 17 teams.
This meant Stewart wasn't rated.
Seems like a loss to us so far, but it is still early days.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:19 pm

Stewart looked just ok at times on weekend and his two goals were both from joe the gooses as a result of being beaten to the ball by Rowe and then Rowe fumbling the ball when he should have taken it cleanly in first place.
Its way to early to make any call. He was the third tall in a team that kicked 140 points and he took four marks for the day.
He may be alright in time but his performance on the weekend wasn't the time to start having regrets over missing out on a superstar.

Not sure about Kelly, in a game that requires initiating a lot of run from half back, Im not sure if he has enough offence in his game. May come with experience and confidence ...... may not. Lets see how he goes without Jaench and Smith ( maybe ) giving directions.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:03 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
If my auntie had wheels she'd be a bike. Wink

But the boys do come running when she rings her bell. Razz

Kelly and Stewart are great examples of different clubs being able to look at the same player, weigh up that players attributes and what they can contribute to the current list and rating them differently.

Kelly is a tallish mid/HB who isn't quick and had disposal issues but was hard at the ball. Adelaide rated what he could bring to their list higher than what we rated he could bring to our list.

Stewart was an underachiever at TAC level and had potential to develop as a 3rd tall. GWS already had plenty of options for KPF and small forward, he filled a nice niche. Good luck to them.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:05 pm

Regrets: I've had a few,
then again, too few to mention.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:34 pm

Museman wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Accept Gault has 2 years on him, I would expect Stewart might be well past where Gault currently sits now in 2 years.

Nothing wrong with discussing whether we may have missed one or two.

Factor in a season debilitated by OP, and a shoulder reco, and then assess how he's going by comparison. Add the fact that Gault was very young when drafted by comparison and the difference in growth spurts draft year (Stewart 195-7 to 199; Gault 189-90 to 199).

Not saying he won't surpass Gault. Just that we already had Gault and he has similar projections and to date there isn't great disparity in their performance which justifies their decision.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:27 pm

Since we're playing this game it's not inconceivable that we could have landed Ramsay later in the draft and still taken Stewart.

The possibilities are endless but all that really matters is that Stewart is looking a nice prospect as a mobile 198cm forward and we may end up kicking ourselves that we didn't take him.

For what it's worth Gerard Healy said as much the other night.

I don't know much about him but he certainly looked like a smooth mover across the ground. He has something.

Given father son bidding is done first why not bid for him and then see whether we were prepared to match any offer.

I don't buy the excuses surrounding us not bidding on him as we clearly just didn't rate him enough unlike Moore who we had no hesitation in bidding on.

If we rated him and wanted him we would have locked him away first and worked around that in other potential trade opportunities.

At least be honest about it.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:45 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Since we're playing this game it's not inconceivable that we could have landed Ramsay later in the draft and still taken Stewart.

The possibilities are endless but all that really matters is that Stewart is looking a nice prospect as a mobile 198cm forward and we may end up kicking ourselves that we didn't take him.

For what it's worth Gerard Healy said as much the other night.

I don't know much about him but he certainly looked like a smooth mover across the ground. He has something.

Given father son bidding is done first why not bid for him and then see whether we were prepared to match any offer.

I don't buy the excuses surrounding us not bidding on him as we clearly just didn't rate him enough unlike Moore who we had no hesitation in bidding on.

If we rated him and wanted him we would have locked him away first and worked around that in other potential trade opportunities.

At least be honest about it.

So because you don't believe the "excuses" they're lies... sorry I missed the memo where you were anointed the arbiter of honesty.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:48 pm

Good points Swoop. Jackass does like to think he is the moral compass and oracle on all Pies matters on these sites!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:52 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Good points Swoop. Jackass does like to think he is the moral compass and oracle on all Pies matters on these sites!

Gee, someone who agrees with you makes "good points".... Shocked
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:30 pm

No Jackass you just "go the man" when you blog. Swoop articulated some healthy discussion re James Stewart and you waffle on about him being the "arbiter" etc.... Disagree, raise alternate points of view and argue on merit. Don't just attack people whom are prepared to flesh out well constructed, researched albeit different points of view that you have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: