Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Kicking critics should 'shut their mouths', says Cloke

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

35forever wrote:
Most importantly, his kicking average isn't significantly worse than the club as a whole, this is a fundamental problem which affects every player we have after a while, and which the club seems unwilling to address in a meaningful way.

Yep, everyone misses them. Dane Swan is probably the worst kick for goal in the club yet everyone wants him to play as a forward...

My favourite though this year if you can put it that way was a really bad misses of Travs a few weeks ago, about 25m out directly in front he sprayed it, what made it hilarious was in the same game, Scott Pendlebury lined up from the exact same spot and sprayed it...But its all Clokeys fault Rolling Eyes
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:58 pm

Dane Swan is Clokeys fault roll? Clokeys fault roll is?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:25 am

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
His job is to kick goals, and gees he's missed some sitters the last few games. He missed one on Sunday. A game we lost by 5 points. So if he had kicked the sitter, we bloody win?

Draw, actually. Cool

think positive wrote:
As rudeboy said, nothing is changing. If he was trying to get rid of the yips, something would change. Even just a little bit

Well, you're wrong, because he obviously has been. Don't you remember all the stuff about training with headphones? Do you really think the coaching staff would let him not work on his skills? Let's face it: sometimes trying isn't enough. As that article above says, let's accept that he will probably always be a patchy kick but appreciate him for everything else he brings to the team.

think positive wrote:
Apart from opposition fans hanging shit, who has abused him?

Football journalists have obviously dug into him, and I'm actually guessing that that's who he was talking about. But of course he cops abuse at games from his own fans, and I'm sure he really appreciates the bronx cheers when he gets a touch late in a bad game. If you don't think players are aware of this stuff, you're dreaming.

I'm not wrong. Of course they have done little stuff, but where is the dedicated kicking coach, the fancy analysis guy?

I really don't care if he doesn't like the Bronx cheers, seriously, his main job is too kick goals. And he damn well should be held accountable. His shots from under 25 metres are laughable at times.

As for the Pendles crap, the guy is a midfielder first and foremost, and he is also one of the most accurate, baurtiful kicks in the comp, I think a blip is allowable for captain courageous playing on one leg right now.

You can clap Cloke and tell him good job keep trying guys, but not me. If he was a forklift driver on 52 grand a year, no one would be clapping his oopsies, he would be sacked. His oopsies are very expensive.

When he's on he brilliant. As others have said in other threads, play him further up the ground, while the umps won't give him the frees he deserves, he is better marking further out, and yes taking shots from 40 or 50,

I've been patient, I've stuck up for him in the past, but gees, he is the key peice to our next premiership, otherwise, why are we paying him so much?

Picture it, the prelim, 5 points in it, siren goes, and closes got a free 20 metres out on a slight angle, who is brave enough to watch?

I'd back swannie to kick it from there enough times that I'd watch, Pendles for sure, Jamie Elliot. Cloke? I'd have a $£$%^%%$ coronary before he finished his warm up leg spin.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:29 am

Collingwood 4 eternity wrote:
John Wren wrote:
he has a point. it's boring hearing and reading the same thing about his kicking.

That's the problem Trav , to many points or OOTF

As Barassi said to Gerard Healy re not getting enough possessions

"Travis you give us goals and we'll shut up"

Says it all. Cheers

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:09 am

I'd rather him miss shots not looking like an absolute spaz. If he's going to miss, then go back to a normal action, not this ballerina-pivot-foot thing that he does.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:11 am

What'sinaname wrote:
I'd rather him miss shots not looking like an absolute spaz. If he's going to miss, then go back to a normal action, not this ballerina-pivot-foot thing that he does.

Hahahaaha yep, who's the guy with the wierd hop skip and jump thing? At least he kicked pretty straight!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:00 pm

In terms of goal output, Travis' is travelling much better than he was at the same time last year. He has 17 goals after 7 rounds. At the same stage last season, he had only 8. Even if you adjust it for the opposition and take his first 2014 game against each of his 2015 opponents, he only kicked 9 goals in the 7 corresponding 2014 games.

He's on track to top 50 goals in 2015. To put it in historical perspective, this is his equal-best goal-kicking start to any season except 2013 (when he had 22, including a 7-goal haul against Ninthmond and ultimately kicked 68 for the season) - in the seasons from 2006 to 2014, he'd managed the following goals by the end of round 7:

2006 - 3
2007 - 7
2008 - 11
2009 - 7
2010 - 11
2011 - 16 (from 6 games)
2012 - 17
2013 - 22
2014 - 8

Also, his 2015 kicking, handballing and marking averages are as good as his 2014 averages, his contested marking and contested possession averages are better this year than last and his inside 50 count is on track to be 50% higher than it was last year - (indicating that he is covering more ground, much more effectively, than he did in 2014).

I think it is fair to say that he's doing exactly what the Club expected when they re-signed him to his present contract.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:48 am

I think one of the things we get so frustrated about with Clokey is not so much that he misses easy shots, its HOW he misses them. Fifteen metres out and he kicks it almost ninety degrees to kick it OOtF, THAT just shouldn't happen... ever! Can you imagine a Rugby Union guy doing that? An NFL kicker? An NBA player missing free throws to the point of missing the entire backboard? Someone taking a soccer penalty and missing the entire goalface by ten metres? In the NFL a guy paid to kick the goals might miss like that once, maybe twice, but no more, he'd be shipped back to Slovenia the next day!

I don't believe CFC is doing anything like enough to fix the skills deficit we have, and its all mental. When we're playing well, ten goals in front, we rarely make howlers, but when the pressure is on, when we need it most, we just don't have the confidence in ourselves. When even Pendles starts missing sitter goals there's a huge problem, and the answer from our coaching staff? Don't worry about it, it's okay, it'll get better.

It bloody won't, you know!

It's been going on for far too long, and we just don't want to address it. We watch the best teams kick scores like 10.2, while we kick 2.10, and nothing ever happens! We can afford the worlds best people, but we are too busy having functions for rich people or 'building the brand'. I don't believe the primary goal at Collingwood football club these days is winning games, it can't be! I KNOW we have the players to sweep all before them, I know we could be in the top 2 or 3 (we were a couple of weeks ago).

And it's not just kicking, its everything. Field kicking, handling, marking, tackling, and god help me, simply picking the f*****g pill up off the f*****g ground!!!! HOW are we not able to do that!?!? It's like we don't know how the physics of the oval ball work!
Even now I'm watching us get five goals in a row kicked against us for the third week running! Why in gods name is this happening?! Have we EVER conceded 5 straight 3 weeks in a row? Certainly not that I can remember! Our back 6 was the toast of the league a few weeks ago, suddenly they're a joke! We MUST be getting the pill sometimes, which means we're turning it over far too easily. In the end we've scored a large win, but there is still quite a bit to worry about. It might have been a 60 point win, but this was a bunch of kids with most of their leaders sidelined. We should have won by 90 at least. We were sloppy, making comical turnovers and putting in some very weak efforts, nothing like the wins over the Saints or Carlton. So many errors picking up the ball, and so many gorgeous handball chains finished off with a clunker kick straight to a Sun. We certainly don't look like one of the teams who'll be fighting out the honours this year, not at this stage of the season at least. last year we only had the 2 losses at this point, and had played many of the best, including Sydney, Geelong, and Fremantle. This year we've knocked off the bottom 4 sides and Essendrug. Unless something drastic happens and we start knocking over some of the better sides, finals look a long way off, about 2019 is my guess.

<<We do seem to have most of our success within a couple of years of the turn of each decade. Look at our last 10 Grand Finals...70 77 79 80 81 90 02 03 10 11 (we really should have been in the 2000 GF, the only problem was that we were bloody awful) so really 2017 is the earliest we can hope for, more likely 2018-19>>

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
35forever 

I think one of the things we get so frustrated about with Clokey is not so much that he misses easy shots, its HOW he misses them. Fifteen metres out and he kicks it almost ninety degrees to kick it OOtF, THAT just shouldn't happen... ever! Can you imagine a Rugby Union guy doing that? An NFL kicker? An NBA player missing free throws to the point of missing the entire backboard? Someone taking a soccer penalty and missing the entire goalface by ten metres? In the NFL a guy paid to kick the goals might miss like that once, maybe twice, but no more, he'd be shipped back to Slovenia the next day!

I don't believe CFC is doing anything like enough to fix the skills deficit we have, and its all mental. When we're playing well, ten goals in front, we rarely make howlers, but when the pressure is on, when we need it most, we just don't have the confidence in ourselves. When even Pendles starts missing sitter goals there's a huge problem, and the answer from our coaching staff? Don't worry about it, it's okay, it'll get better.

It's been going on for far too long, and we just don't want to address it. We watch the best teams kick scores like 10.2, while we kick 2.10, and nothing ever happens! We can afford the worlds best people, but we are too busy having functions for rich people or 'building the brand'. I don't believe the primary goal at Collingwood football club these days is winning games, it can't be! I KNOW we have the players to sweep all before them, I know we could be in the top 2 or 3 (we were a couple of weeks ago).

And it's not just kicking, its everything. Field kicking, handling, marking, tackling, and god help me, simply picking the f*****g pill up off the f*****g ground!!!! HOW are we not able to do that!?!? It's like we don't know how the physics of the oval ball work!
Even now I'm watching us get five goals in a row kicked against us for the third week running! Why in gods name is this happening?! Have we EVER conceded 5 straight 3 weeks in a row? Certainly not that I can remember! Our back 6 was the toast of the league a few weeks ago, suddenly they're a joke! We MUST be getting the pill sometimes, which means we're turning it over far too easily. In the end we've scored a large win, but there is still quite a bit to worry about. It might have been a 60 point win, but this was a bunch of kids with most of their leaders sidelined. We should have won by 90 at least. We were sloppy, making comical turnovers and putting in some very weak efforts, nothing like the wins over the Saints or Carlton. So many errors picking up the ball, and so many gorgeous handball chains finished off with a clunker kick straight to a Sun. We certainly don't look like one of the teams who'll be fighting out the honours this year, not at this stage of the season at least. last year we only had the 2 losses at this point, and had played many of the best, including Sydney, Geelong, and Fremantle. This year we've knocked off the bottom 4 sides and Essendrug. Unless something drastic happens and we start knocking over some of the better sides, finals look a long way off, about 2019 is my guess.

<<We do seem to have most of our success within a couple of years of the turn of each decade. Look at our last 10 Grand Finals...70 77 79 80 81 90 02 03 10 11 (we really should have been in the 2000 GF, the only problem was that we were bloody awful) so really 2017 is the earliest we can hope for, more likely 2018-19>>

-me, 2010
Visit My Website!
35forever 

-me, 2010
Visit My Website!
35forever 

-me, 2010
Visit My Website!
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:36 am

3rd degree wrote:
He should hold a press conference with David Cloke in the background with a megaphone a la Jimmy Hart and his mullet groomed well for the occassion and Trav dressed as the late great Mr Perfect and scream into a dozen microphones " SHUT YOUR MOUTHS".

Like 😃

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:20 am

think positive wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Hahahaaha yep, who's the guy with the wierd hop skip and jump thing? At least he kicked pretty straight!

ben reid? Wink

josh kennedy from wce. he has straightened out his run up.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:20 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
In terms of goal output, Travis' is travelling much better than he was at the same time last year. He has 17 goals after 7 rounds. At the same stage last season, he had only 8. Even if you adjust it for the opposition and take his first 2014 game against each of his 2015 opponents, he only kicked 9 goals in the 7 corresponding 2014 games.

He's on track to top 50 goals in 2015. To put it in historical perspective, this is his equal-best goal-kicking start to any season except 2013 (when he had 22, including a 7-goal haul against Ninthmond and ultimately kicked 68 for the season) - in the seasons from 2006 to 2014, he'd managed the following goals by the end of round 7:

2006 - 3
2007 - 7
2008 - 11
2009 - 7
2010 - 11
2011 - 16 (from 6 games)
2012 - 17
2013 - 22
2014 - 8

Also, his 2015 kicking, handballing and marking averages are as good as his 2014 averages, his contested marking and contested possession averages are better this year than last and his inside 50 count is on track to be 50% higher than it was last year - (indicating that he is covering more ground, much more effectively, than he did in 2014).

I think it is fair to say that he's doing exactly what the Club expected when they re-signed him to his present contract.

facts and stats have no place in this forum. you should know better. sigh.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:57 am

35forever wrote:

wonder where you had been. you've been saving this one up, haven't you?

cloke is not the only one who shanks them. this occurs more than you might think across the league. what are those clubs doing about trying to fix it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: