Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hollywood vs 'Arthouse' movies

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ It seems like Hollywood benefited greatly from exiles from Nazi Europe in the '30s and '40s. It's actually hard to think of many great Hollywood directors of that era who didn't have European-sounding surnames.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:23 pm

Tannin wrote:
I don't remember when I watched it, WPT, it was probably quite some time ago, but I think it was in this house, which puts it sometime in the last 30 years or so. I have managed to forget most of it, which causes me no regret whatsoever.

PS: I don't read Who Weekly. I just look at the pictures.

PPS: I don't dislike all movies. Some that I enjoyed which happen to come to mind, in no particular order, are:

• Sunday too far away - includes the odd distasteful 1970s extravagance, but set those aside, this is an old favourite and deservedly so. Watched it again just this weekend.
  • The Castle. Nuff said.
  • Dr Zhivago
  • Laurence of Arabia
  • True Grit - the real one, of course. I bought this on DVD - yes, with my own money - but it turned out to be some stupid modern remake, so I took it back unopened.
  • The African Queen
  • Casablanca
  • Saturday Girls - a very short little thing (15 minutes) that was on SBS the other week. An absolute gem!
  • One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest - something good. From Hollywood! Who'd a thunk it?
  • Batteries not included - see comment above
  • Dr Strangelove

1 flew over the cuckoo's nest is one of those cases where it's a very good film but I still prefer the book.

True Grit was def a good movie, one of john Wayne's best. I also liked the Searchers.

In the western genre you can't go past some of the Eastwood spaghetti westerns.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:49 pm

Prefer the book Stui .... yup. The book is nearly always better than the film for any given example - but provided we are not talking about "the book of the film" written as an afterthought, of course. I don't think that I have ever read a book written as an outgrowth of a film that was even as good as, never mind better than the film original.

OFOTCN might nearly be an exception, insofar as I saw the film at age (guess) 14 and it had a huge impact, then read the book perhaps a decade later, enjoying it for sure, but it is the film I remember.

CS Forrester's African Queen is a wonderful little book, much deeper than the film (as books always are - that's the nature of the media involved). I love them both. They changed the ending in the film, big-time, but for once that was a good decision and perfectly appropriate. Anyway, not only is Bogie still mega-cool after all these years, Hepburn (who also stars in True Grit, of course, is both endlessly fascinating and highly desirable.

The Searchers, yup. Bit melodramatic for my usual taste, but it never does to be too inflexible. The Shootist is another very good Wayne one. Oh, and while we are on the great westerns, let's mention Rio Bravo.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:59 pm

Yep, I'll take both the shootist and Rio Bravo and can't forget to add one of my absolute favourites from the era, the man who shot liberty vallance.

Too many cold shitty sundays watching sunday afternoon westerns as a kid I guess. Wink

Oh, and I read the book OFOTCN well before I'd seen the movie. In fact I'd read it 3 times before I got it assigned in yr 12 English and then argued with my English teacher about how to interpret it the whole way through.

The movie was good but could never live up to what was in my head.

Last edited by stui magpie on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:02 pm

Does it make you sad? The response ought to be a weather link.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:22 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Yep, I'll take both the shootist and Rio Bravo and can't forget to add one of my absolute favourites from the era, the man who shot liberty vallance.

Too many cold shitty sundays watching sunday afternoon westerns as a kid I guess. Wink

Oh, and I read the book OFOTCN well before I'd seen the movie. In fact I'd read it 3 times before I got it assigned in yr 12 English and then argued with my English teacher about how to interpret it the whole way through.

The movie was good but could never live up to what was in my head.

The amount of damage that film has done for PR regarding ECT treatment is enormous.

I studied bloody Macbeth for 3 in 5 years! yr 10, yr 12 & English at Uni. Felt sorry for a nice guy in form 3 (yr 9) the first year at melbourne High school who asked the teacher:

"Sir why are we studying Shakespeare (Romeo & Juliet), why aren't we studying something more relevant"?.

The teacher a bit of a nutter froze & yelled back in unambiguous yet restrained anger thrusting his large hands forward

"Son, you don't question Shakespeare
"

The poor kid failed.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:05 am

For those interested in such things, here's a piece from The New York Times last year about the state of modern Hollywood and American independent cinema, and how quality films can get lost in the noise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/movies/flooding-theaters-isnt-good-for-filmmakers-or-filmgoers.html?_r=0

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:06 am

Oh a web page.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:16 pm

Here's something Hollywood would never have the courage to produce:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-02/the-tribe/6507986

Quote:
The Tribe is a confronting drama about a deaf teenager's brutal initiation into the criminal underworld at a deaf boarding school.

The film follows Sergey as he becomes entangled in robberies and the sex trade and eventually falls in love with one of the girls he pimps out.

Director Myroslav Slaboshpytskiy cast non-professional deaf actors plucked from "poor and disadvantaged families" in Ukraine's deaf community.

Told entirely in Ukranian sign language, which is different to Australian Auslan, Slaboshpytskiy said he wanted to pay homage to silent film.

He described The Tribe as "a humanistic story of entering adult life in a cruel world."

The Tribe has won more than 25 awards, including last year's grand prize at Cannes Film Festival's Critics' Week.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:36 pm

No subtitles.

Pass.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:21 pm

swoop42 wrote:
No subtitles.

Pass.

Ditto, I'm deaf and I wouldn't watch it

David have you see. American history x?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:43 pm

I have, a long time ago. Thought it was OK but a little heavy-handed. Did you like it?

swoop42 wrote:
No subtitles.

Pass.

From most reports it works just as well without them. Though, obviously not a film for everyoneeven I'm thinking twice after reading up on how violent it is.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:17 pm

David wrote:
I have, a long time ago. Thought it was OK but a little heavy-handed. Did you like it?

swoop42 wrote:
No subtitles.

Pass.

From most reports it works just as well without them. Though, obviously not a film for everyoneeven I'm thinking twice after reading up on how violent it is.

I thought it was a powerful film with a message everyone should see.

Dont know if I could watch it again. Cried my eyes out! Edward Norton is fantastic in it.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:48 pm

Agreed, it's one of his best roles (Fight Club is another good one).
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:38 pm

David wrote:
Agreed, it's one of his best roles (Fight Club is another good one).

Brilliant movie Fight Club, but again the book is better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: