Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hollywood vs 'Arthouse' movies

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

All three brilliant movies.

Try gran Torino tannin before you pre judge.

The guy reminds me of you, cheers

Last edited by think positive on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:24 am; edited 2 times in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:55 pm

Tannin wrote:
Why? Were they made before 1964?

No, but the guy who made them was already drawing a pension by then!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:06 am

Tannin wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Hollywood is probably better known for cathouses than arthouses.

Why the term "shithouse" did not occur to me while posting the above, I cannot imagine.

Ahem: Try

All about Eve, the films of Billy Wilder & Joseph Mankiewicz, the Petrified Forest, The Long Weekend, The Marx brothers, WC fields, Robert Altman, Raging Bull, The Godfather, 2001, just to mention a few.

You lost me when you mentioned All about Eve as if it was good! I like most movies of that era - well, quite a lot of them. OK, some - but this tedious and hysterical nonsense would come pretty close to the bottom of any list.

Never heard of or heard just enough not to be interested in Wilder (not-very-good commedian, if I am thinking of the right bloke), Mankiewicz (who?), the Petrified Forest (nice title, is the movie any good?), The Long Weekend (never heard of it), Marx brothers & WC fields (classic comedy in its time, but not something you'd actually watch. Well, not more than once), Robert Altman (who?), the Raging Bull, & Godfather (nasty bullshit with nothing much to recommend it bar the fact that most of Hollywood's crap is even worse, mostly much worse/

That leaves 2001, which is generally grossly overrated but certainly worth watching.

Hmmm .... one decent out of eleven. That's a 90% failure rate, WPT. Back to school for you, ol' son.

You bin getting a case of mad cows disease in the country?

All about Eve is a brilliant film with a marvellous screenplay - one of the best.

Alongside Sunset Boulevard - another brilliant film

That you don't know who Robert Altman, Billy Wilder or Joseph Mankiewicz is concerning.

There I was thinking you had an eduction Shocked

More homework please then you can join the discussion regarding film.

Although, mea culpa - I meant The Lost Weekend (a film for Stui & TP)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-tefK9hkuM

From wiki:

Billy Wilder (/ˈwaɪldər/; German: [ˈvɪldɐ]; June 22, 1906[1] – March 27, 2002) was an Austrian-born American filmmaker, screenwriter, producer, artist and journalist, whose career spanned more than 50 years and 60 films. He is regarded as one of the most brilliant and versatile filmmakers of Hollywood's golden age. Wilder is one of only five people to have won Academy Awards as producer, director and screenwriter for the same film (The Apartment), and was the first person to accomplish this...."

I suppose you didn't like "Some Like it Hot" either Rolling Eyes

Must be cold in Ballarat

On Billy Wilder:

"Spanish filmmaker Fernando Trueba said in his acceptance speech for the 1993 Best Non-English Speaking Film Oscar: "I would like to believe in God in order to thank him. But I just believe in Billy Wilder... so, thank you Mr. Wilder." According to Trueba, Wilder called him the day after and told him: "Fernando, it's God."

French filmmaker Michel Hazanavicius also thanked Billy Wilder in the 2012 Best Picture Oscar acceptance speech for The Artist by saying "I would like to thank the following three people, I would like to thank Billy Wilder, I would like to thank Billy Wilder, and I would like to thank Billy Wilder."

Wilder's 12 Academy Award nominations for screenwriting were a record until 1997 when Woody Allen received a 13th nomination for Deconstructing Harry".

Last edited by watt price tully on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:22 am; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:10 am

So I am teaching you something new.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:49 am

watt price tully wrote:
There I was thinking you had an eduction

People with education read. They don't squander life's precious hours on sterile Hollywood brain poison.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:55 am

I have seen All About Eve, WPT. Unfortunately. Unmitigated melodramatic rubbish from shorts to credits. The fact that this poor movie is considered significant and groundbreaking tells us a great deal about the average quality in the industry. Only in Hollywood could such a dud stand out.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:23 am

think positive wrote:
All three brilliant movies.

Try gran torino tannin before you pre judge.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1205489/

The guy reminds me of you, cheers

actually forget gran torino, try this one instead!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107050/?ref_=nv_sr_1

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:33 am

Tannin wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
There I was thinking you had an eduction

People with education read. They don't squander life's precious hours on sterile Hollywood brain poison.

Obviously you haven't read enough Tannin. Still you've got time.

If you continue to read "Who Weekly" & "Pix people" I suppose you can learn a lot too. Razz

Last edited by watt price tully on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:42 am

Tannin wrote:
I have seen All About Eve, WPT. Unfortunately. Unmitigated melodramatic rubbish from shorts to credits. The fact that this poor movie is considered significant and groundbreaking tells us a great deal about the average quality in the industry. Only in Hollywood could such a dud stand out.

Many serious film critics list this as being in their top 10 films of all time. Each to their own.

BTW, did you watch it on your computer?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:26 am

I don't remember when I watched it, WPT, it was probably quite some time ago, but I think it was in this house, which puts it sometime in the last 30 years or so. I have managed to forget most of it, which causes me no regret whatsoever.

PS: I don't read Who Weekly. I just look at the pictures.

PPS: I don't dislike all movies. Some that I enjoyed which happen to come to mind, in no particular order, are:

• Sunday too far away - includes the odd distasteful 1970s extravagance, but set those aside, this is an old favourite and deservedly so. Watched it again just this weekend.
  • The Castle. Nuff said.
  • Dr Zhivago
  • Laurence of Arabia
  • True Grit - the real one, of course. I bought this on DVD - yes, with my own money - but it turned out to be some stupid modern remake, so I took it back unopened.
  • The African Queen
  • Casablanca
  • Saturday Girls - a very short little thing (15 minutes) that was on SBS the other week. An absolute gem!
  • One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest - something good. From Hollywood! Who'd a thunk it?
  • Batteries not included - see comment above
  • Dr Strangelove

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:30 am

Tannin wrote:
I don't remember when I watched it, WPT, it was probably quite some time ago, but I think it was in this house, which puts it sometime in the last 30 years or so. I have managed to forget most of it, which causes me no regret whatsoever.

PPS: I don't dislike all movies. Some that I enjoyed which happen to come to mind, in no particular order, are:

• Sunday too far away - includes the odd distasteful 1970s extravagance, but set those aside, this is an old favourite and deservedly so. Watched it again just this weekend.
  • The Castle. Nuff said.
  • Dr Zhivago
  • Laurence of Arabia
  • True Grit - the real one, of course. I bought this on DVD - yes, with my own money - but it turned out to be some stupid modern remake, so I took it back unopened.
  • The African Queen
  • Casablanca
  • Saturday Girls - a very short little thing (15 minutes) that was on SBS the other week. An absolute gem!
  • One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest - something good. From Hollywood! Who'd a thunk it?
  • Dr Strangelove

true grit, john wayne classic, fantastic movie

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:46 am

Tannin wrote:

• The Castle. Nuff said.
  • Dr Zhivago
  • Laurence of Arabia
  • The African Queen
  • Casablanca
  • Dr Strangelove

What about foreign-language films? I seem to recall you saying you liked My Life as a Dog at one point.

I haven't seen the original True Grit, but you made the right decision returning the remake. Hated it.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:02 pm

By the way, WPT, I don't know if you like silent films, but one of Wilder's very first movies (I think he wrote the script) was a lovely film called People on Sunday. It was made in Germany in 1930 with a bunch of non-actors, and nothing all that much happens in it—basically, a playboy picks up a couple of attractive young women in the street and takes them to the beach along with his sad-sack friend—but it's full of joy and life, without any of the exaggerated theatricality of most silent films, and has heaps of verite footage of ordinary people in Berlin just going about their business.

Kind of chilling to think that this was made just three years before Hitler came to power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ooNxs68vk4

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:17 pm

David wrote:
What about foreign-language films? I seem to recall you saying you liked My Life as a Dog at one point.

Absolutely. A five-star classic. I actually went hunting on Youtube for it a while back, but in low-res without the subtitles it was a bit harder, even though I knew the story.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:29 pm

David wrote:
By the way, WPT, I don't know if you like silent films, but one of Wilder's very first movies (I think he wrote the script) was a lovely film called People on Sunday. It was made in Germany in 1930 with a bunch of non-actors, and nothing all that much happens in it—basically, a playboy picks up a couple of attractive young women in the street and takes them to the beach along with his sad-sack friend—but it's full of joy and life, without any of the exaggerated theatricality of most silent films, and has heaps of verite footage of ordinary people in Berlin just going about their business.

Kind of chilling to think that this was made just three years before Hitler came to power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ooNxs68vk4

Lots of German / Austrian film people many/some of who were Jewish left Europe to escape Hitler. While known for their creative genius if not creative input in Europe many couldn't get a break in the US while some did.

Haven't seen that film though.

I only discovered "The Apartment" few years ago. The opening scenes I believe is still being used in Cinema Studies courses. Jack Lemmon was one hell of a comedic actor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: