Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hollywood vs 'Arthouse' movies

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL.

Just like people have different tastes in music and books, people have different tastes in movies. I don't buy the argument that one or the other is higher or lower class, they're just different.

I can listen to some classical music but it's not my choice of music.

I prefer non fiction books to fiction, usually, although a good work of non fiction on a topic that grabs my interest is good for a change.

Movies I want to put my brain in the corner, sit back and be entertained. I don't want to have to think, to try to follow the directors message, recognise the metaphors, appreciate the nuances of the photography or settings, that stuff holds zero interest for me. It's a chore, not entertainment to me to follow something like that. If I have to concentrate to follow the plot, fail for me.

Mad Max Fury Road is a movie that might actually get me into a cinema for the first time in years. Not because I'm overly interested in the strong feminism message that has both feminists and misogynists alike all quivering, but because from all reports it's a masterclass in how to make an action movie with minimal dialogue and minimal CGI. As one review I read said, from memory, "if you think that the action sequence you just watched was the best you've ever seen, wait 5 minutes."

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:02 pm
Post subject: Re: Hollywood vs 'Arthouse' moviesReply with quote

think positive wrote:
cmon now, no one knows if he's really drunk as jack sparrow, he's magnificent as him.

Even though a wire brush and Dettol would be required me thinks I find myself very attracted to Jack Shocked Razz

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:26 pm

Morrigu wrote:
think positive wrote:
cmon now, no one knows if he's really drunk as jack sparrow, he's magnificent as him.

Even though a wire brush and Dettol would be required me thinks I find myself very attracted to Jack Shocked Razz

Hehe me too!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:28 pm

David wrote:
Oh my God, that one? Noooo, you don't want to see that.

Hehe well I know that!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:28 pm

Morrigu wrote:
think positive wrote:

Ummm. Shocked OK then. No more info, please.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:38 pm

Is the dettol for before or after?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:48 pm

Mouthwash
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:12 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
think positive wrote:

Ummm. Shocked OK then. No more info, please.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nPAL7zjuby0

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:24 pm

LOL, I've heard the joke before but it wasn't a wire brush and dettol.
Laughing

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:39 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Mad Max Fury Road is a movie that might actually get me into a cinema for the first time in years. Not because I'm overly interested in the strong feminism message that has both feminists and misogynists alike all quivering, but because from all reports it's a masterclass in how to make an action movie with minimal dialogue and minimal CGI. As one review I read said, from memory, "if you think that the action sequence you just watched was the best you've ever seen, wait 5 minutes."

I was reading about that yesterday and actually thought it sounded like a movie you'd like. Mr. Green

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:49 pm

I think there would be a difference between what David would call art house and watch and the European movies most of the rest of us could view and enjoy.

Some European movies off the top of my head that I liked but I'm guessing wouldn't fall into the art house category are Headhunters, The Hunt, Let the right one in, Pan's Labyrinth, Leon: The Professional, Downfall and The Orphanage.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:58 pm

think positive wrote:
Mouthwash

For who?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:59 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

I was reading about that yesterday and actually thought it sounded like a movie you'd like. Mr. Green

Hey, it almost qualifies as a silent film apparently due to the lack of actual dialogue, maybe you should get along too. Razz

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:27 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Mad Max Fury Road is a movie that might actually get me into a cinema for the first time in years.."

Ah we were Namibia when they were filming that - driving along the gravel roads - hadn't seen a single sign of any life for at least 3 hours and then off in the distance wtf is that - detour and drive towards it - 30 mins laters trailers and signs - keep out film set blah blah blah.

We stopped and got out of the car ( didn't know that what it was about at the time) and 2 really silly big beefy security guards came out - fck knows what they were protecting no-one or nothing not even a beetle within miles - " yous right?" Just looking says we - yous Australian - yep - oh we can probably get you in this is Mad Max film - no ta - better things to do!

Mind you when we finally got to Swakopmund we got a discount for our red wine purchase cause we were Aussie and they thought we were part of the film crew Laughing

We might have a look at it just to go " oh we've been there" Razz

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:33 pm

Apocalypto is on sbs right now, directed by Mel Gibson
Not normally my cup of tea but I've seen it before, really good film (not a movie, well my idea of a movie!) and since I can't get foxtel in the ensuite and I forgot a dvd it will do,

Really need a waiter to bring more wine though!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: