Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Massive fraud by major employer

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:57 pm
Post subject: Massive fraud by major employerReply with quote

Quote:

Convenience store chain 7-Eleven has announced plans to distinguish itself from competition by offering comprehensive wage rorting around the clock, 7 days a week.

Our loyal customers look to the 7-Eleven brand for convenience and that convenience comes at a price, a 7-Eleven spokesperson told The Backburner. It turns out customers also hate price and we hate losing money, so weve decided to take it out on our employees.

The strength of our company depends on 3 simple things: firstly, that people will want to smash a pie at 2 in the morning, secondly, that people desperate for money will work ridiculous hours for very little, and lastly, no one will notice a nationwide chain of stores systematically breaking the law to save money.

That may sound bad but its not our fault, I cant believe a few rogue franchises that constitute more than 60% of our stores would all do this, what a crazy coincidence that had absolutely nothing to do with us or how the company operates.

We are outraged at the actions of this tiny majority, although extremely impressed at their profit margins. Well done, those awful monsters. Keep up the good terrible work.

Employees of the chain have expressed surprise at the development, although not huge amounts of surprise:

At first I was shocked, but then when I thought about how I worked 60 hours last week and can barely afford rent, it all sort of fell into place, said one employee, who wished to remain anonymous in case they found out and decided to pay him even less somehow.

I guess its reasonable, theres a lot of people out there who want to buy some smokes and some Pringles after theyve had 25 beers and really should be going home, or those weirdos who do their grocery shopping at 7-Eleven at midnight because they spent all day watching YouTube videos about reptilians and have very low standards for what counts as food.

Youd think if you were a giant multinational company you would probably wear the costs of those opening hours yourself but I mean, sure, you could just absorb it by criminally underpaying a bunch of people with no other options as well. I guess that seems cool.

Source: http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2015/08/31/7-eleven-offers-unprecedented-24-hours-day-wage-rorting?cid=trending

See also these:

http://www.vice.com/en_au/read/everything-we-know-so-far-about-7-eleven-australias-wage-fraud-scandal

http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace-relations/7eleven-wage-fraud-coverup-from-head-office-20150828-gjahrc.html

http://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/hindi/en/article/2015/08/29/7-eleven-staff-exploited-claims-investigation

http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace-relations/7eleven-stores-in-strife-20150830-gjayp2.html

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/08/29/senate-should-probe-7-eleven-claim-greens-0

http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace-relations/7eleven-a-sweatshop-on-every-corner-20150827-gj8vzn.html

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2015/s4302904.htm Former Competition watchdog raises concern about 7-Eleven business practices

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2015/08/30/4301164.htm 4 Corners report - start here.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets worse.

" ... continued attempt to distance senior management and the board from the scandal is despite three separate raids by Fair Work over the past six years showing systemic wage fraud and its own internal audit showing that of 225 stores reviewed between July and August, 69 per cent had payroll compliance issues. An insider said if management had been more thorough in this July audit, including cross checking rosters against CCTV, the 69 per cent figure would be closer to 100 per cent."

"A common payroll fraud employed by 7-Eleven franchisees is known as the "half-pay scam", where staff members are paid for only half the hours they work. Under the half-pay scam, a worker is forced to work for 40 hours a week for an average of $12 an hour against an award rate of $24.69 an hour. As part of the scam, the franchisee will doctor the roster and fudge time sheets to make it appear that the staff member has worked only half the hours in the store that they have actually worked. The staff member is then paid based on the hours they are listed as having worked in the payroll details that are sent to 7-Eleven head office."

"About a month ago, panic set in," the insider said. We are now checking the [payroll] paperwork against the CCTV and guess what? It doesn't match in nearly every store."

"The empire is co-owned by chairman Russell Withers and his sister Beverley Barlow, who are worth an estimated $1.5 billion. 7-Eleven head office generated earnings before interest and profit of $143 million in 2015."

http://www.theage.com.au/business/workplace-relations/7eleven-puts-more-than-100-stores-on-life-support-20150902-gjdjtf.html

Where is the Royal Commission, scumbag Abbott? Different story when it's your mates doing the fraud, isn't it.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:45 pm

If the FTA goes through with China this will be nothing compared with Chinese Workers being exploited as we remove Australians from the workforce.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:05 pm

One of Collingwood's sponsors United Petroleum is now also accused of wage fraud that has been exposed with 7-11

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-03/united-petroleum-franchisees-complain-of-wage-abuse/6745240

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:15 pm

I think the abuse of 457 Visa Holders and International Students is widespread, especially in franchises. So much so this will be a massive cover up as $$$$ will be doing the talking. Get ready to pay more for your pizzas. Razz
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:50 pm

That is how Big Companies get Rich.

Rip People Off

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:47 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
That is how Big Companies get Rich.

Rip People Off

Been happening for centuries DTM and will continue to happen for centuries. This is the way right wingers operate... Rolling Eyes

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:14 pm

Culprit wrote:
If the FTA goes through with China this will be nothing compared with Chinese Workers being exploited as we remove Australians from the workforce.

The LNP doesn't want Australian workers removed from the work-force, it wants them to compete for jobs with migrants who are prepared to put up with such shocking pay and almost total lack of conditions.
In the States they rely on Hispanics to do the dirty jobs.
sTeam Australia is setting about building a similar underclass of workers that will have to compete with 457 visas and now this free-trade agreement.
It's almost maniacal attack on Unions and the industries that employ them is further proof that this government has honest, ordinary working Australians firmly in it's gun-sights!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:18 pm

I'm not sure how relevant this is to the thread, but I couldn't help but think of it:

https://youtu.be/sIzivCJ9pzU

In all seriousness, the existence of exploitation this widespread is genuinely alarming. Perhaps another Royal Commission wouldn't be such a bad idea.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:16 pm

I am dealing with the Dairy Industry and the farms that have been purchased by Chinese Investors do not have Australians working for them. They have Indonesian and Chinese workers on 457 visas. In some ways in the short term my company will benefit. In the long term as soon as the Chinese become entrenched we will be pushed out and on the Centrelink queue. Sheer weight in numbers like no other Country we have an FTA agreement with will be what screws Australia over. When idiots like Andrew Robb go feral over the agreement you know the average Australian is not going to be the winner.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:41 pm

Culprit wrote:

Interesting alternative view on the agitation against the FTA with China.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/china-free-trade-deal-scare-campaign-reeks-of-racism/story-fni0fhh1-1227515275082

Having said that, I read a bit about the 7/11 deal today. I hope they get the book thrown at them. Systematic breaking of the laws and seriously ripping off some already underpaid workers. Make an example out of them and burn them bad.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:40 pm

Under the FTA you will be able to bring in overseas workers if the project is worth over $150 Million. Also in saying that, in removing the so called red tape we have no checks and balances on 457 Visa workers. The Unions, Greens and the ALP want an increased workforce to check the workers and claims that Australian workers could not be found. In response Andrew Robb told them to F Off and he would not alter the document that no one could read let alone check. In return the Upper House will not approve the FTA. No negotiation and typical arrogance by the born to rule party. Now Andrew Robb and the LNP Loonies are saying China will walk away. That won't happen, China owns our arse.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:34 pm

Wasn't this largely negotiated under Labor? Surely it wouldn't have changed THAT much since the election.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:26 pm

^ You say that as if it was something to recommend it.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:56 am

Tannin wrote:
^ You say that as if it was something to recommend it.
Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: