Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Snoop's 2015 List management trade and draft thoughts

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Defender wrote:
I think our biggest need is for an elite-quick crumbling forward, Elliot plays tall and our other small forwards are fairly average, we need a smart player with elite speed who can get behind the defense, someone who can put real pressure on backlines.

Kennedy will do that. Just give him a bit of time....like 2 or 3 weeks. Wink
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:50 pm

Stupied wrote:
Dangles wrote:
For mine:

BACKS

? – BROWN - ?

HALF BACKS

LANGDON – FROST – ?

CENTRES

SEEDSMAN – PENDLEBURY – SIDEBOTTOM

HALF FORWARDS

? – CLOKE – DEGOEY

FORWARDS

ELLIOTT – REID – MOORE

RUCKS & ROVERS

GRUNDY – GREENWOOD – ADAMS

INTERCHANGE

CRISP – OXLEY – RAMSAY – WITTS

EMERG (8-10 can count on to be AFL standard if required)

? - KENNEDY – BROOMHEAD – ? – ?

MARSH – VARCOE – BLAIR – KARNEZIS

If we're talking wish list I'd like to see us get rid of Cloke and use the extra coin to get another gun midfielder to take over from Pendles. Then Pendles could do a Pavlich and play out his career in the forward line.

Using Pendles in place of Cloke is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. He would get monstered by any half compentent KPD.

Nah. He'd lead them a merry dance. And once the ball hit the deck......Witts, Moore and Reid could be the talls.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:56 pm

neil wrote:
Defender wrote:
I think our biggest need is for an elite-quick crumbling forward, Elliot plays tall and our other small forwards are fairly average, we need a smart player with elite speed who can get behind the defense, someone who can put real pressure on backlines.

You mean like Freeman

Since when is Freeman a forward?

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:49 pm

lefthanded wrote:
Great work Snoop!
Dwyer – I was very surprised to see you would be staggered if he’s still on the list next year, mainly because it’s a minimum of 3 delistings per year and this year we’ve pretty much got two already in Keeffe & Thomas so wouldn’t have expected Dwyer to be our worst. Looking through our list though and factoring in his age I could see it coming down to him & Young (age & injury counting against him) (noting that Armstrong’s only saving grace could be being on the rookie list instead of main, but this begs the question why not get rid of TA & rookie Dwyer? I could still see it being a case of getting rid of both but find it hard to justify keeping even a rookie TA ahead of a potential rookie Dwyer. You could also argue for getting rid of Dwyer & Young but I’d think it hard pressed to suggest finding someone who will offer more anytime soon in 4th round of draft so personally would keep one of them unless we trade in someone else, however to trade in quality we’d be giving up something of value ie more than a Dwyer or Young, so unless it is picks one stays for a year.

Witts – wouldn’t consider trading before end of 2016 unless we get a quality key forward in the deal as I think needs time to see how partnership with Grundy pans out and I think his value will only increase as he develops in the ruck and forward. As for your question about involving him in a trade for Shiel (if GWS specify that) I certainly wouldn’t include our first rounder. I’d actually be hesitant to even do a straight swap – simply because I think we have enough quality mids coming through and even if not quite Shiel quality they are a lot cheaper & easier to find then quality talls (which I think Witts will be). We also don’t wish to leave ourselves with Grundy as our only number one ruck option – will be a different story if Cox is AFL ready by end of 2015. Yes we will struggle a bit playing two rucks at present but I firmly believe it won’t be a problem in two or three years as more marks will stick through Witts’ improvement and improved delivery.

Best 22 in 2017 – I just don’t see Macaffer in there, happy to be proved wrong but I expect Broomy, BK, Oxley to all be ahead of him with Marsh & Witts others I’m hoping have also staked their claim and that already takes the numbers to 24. Swan is one I wouldn’t be surprised if he hangs up the boots end of 2016 but if his body holds up and we are genuine premiership chance than can equally see him going another year to finish on a high.
Witts & Marsh the only ‘key position’ players in your 8-10 emergencies. I think to cover injuries we’d need at least another of AFL standard by then. Could be Gault, Cox or someone else. I also wouldn’t want a player of Moore’s talent to be playing even as a backup ruck in the next several years, if at all, so see a chop out for Grundy (eg any of Witts, Gault, Cox to step up) as the other need for 2017.
Would love to see Freeman, Maynard & Abbott in that emergency group too, if Maynard isn’t pushing a 30 year old Toovey back to that slot or Freeman doing the same with Swan.

Exactly…

I can't see Swan going on after 2016 but happy to be proven wrong Smile

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:17 pm

I notice there's not a lot love for big Cox on this thread.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:21 pm

Why… do you love big Cox?
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:15 pm

yin-YANG wrote:

I think it's interesting that no one thinks he's going to be part of our next premiership tilt. Is it because they think he's not making enough progress to eventually make the grade?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:14 pm

yin-YANG wrote:

Would easily get a Game at Carlton

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:17 am

Great article Snoop and well done to all other contributors here. Not a lot of emotional posts rather some well thought out points that make some sense. Insofar as delistings/departures are concerned, I believe the following categories exist:

1. Certain departures:

* Alex Fasolo: simply can't win contests when it matters.

* Clinton Young: just can't get his body right and even if he does in the second half of year, messrs Langdon, Oxley, Seedsman, Ramsay etc have passed him by.

* Lachie Keefe: no need to comment

* Josh Thomas: ditto

* Tony Armstrong: if Crisp was steak knives this guy is "serviettes"

* Ben Sinclair: 7 completed seasons and only 48 matches. he must be Clinton Young's separated at birth, long lost brother!

2. 50/50:

* Sam Dwyer: when playing on a wing vs deep forward pocket, he is a solid 20 possession plus, effective user however being 29 this year and with similar types like B Kennedy on the fringe, a rookie spot may be his best option.

* Corey Gault: I like him, however he cannot waste any chance he gets to impress and needs to "clump his marks"!

SUMMARY:

So with 6-8 departures and C. Young's wage of $350,000 being removed, we should have historical and renewed salary cap space to chase a "meaningful big fish" such as:

* D Shiel
* A Treloar:
* R Sloane
* T Hawkins (yes: no hope, however still hasn't signed)
* C. Dixon
* T Lynch
* D. Hannebery (return to Vic. rumours exist)
* D Prestia (ditto)
* L Henderson
* Hoskin Elliott
* P Dangerfield

Finally, we know Jessie White doesn't have the natural instincts to play as a second forward, however I strongly believe he should be moved to the wing. Recent examples of putting "big talls" up the ground for success include:

* Matthew Richardson
* Stefan Martin
* Jarrod Roughead
* Mark Blicavz
* Sam Reid (B.O.G round 5)
* Koutafides
* Justin Westhoff
* A Embley

So why not take advantage of his athletic prowess and "release him to run and carry"!!

roar 

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:44 pm

Those big men you listed could all play as forwards before moving to the wing. Can you name one that was an ordinary player before being moved to the wing and then becoming decent?
Captain_MyCaptain Leo

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Quote:
Broomhead – Terrific kid who I think will make it because he is just so good around stoppages and a good kick under pressure. Would like to see him spend more time as a HF than he has been though. Last year he was very effective in that role.

hmmmm. not so sure after today's effort v Rmond.

DT 

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:01 pm

Captain_MyCaptain wrote:
Quote:
Broomhead – Terrific kid who I think will make it because he is just so good around stoppages and a good kick under pressure. Would like to see him spend more time as a HF than he has been though. Last year he was very effective in that role.

Everyone can have a bad game. This kid is good but needs to build consistency into his game like his coach did.

Snoop Dog 

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Captain_MyCaptain wrote:
Quote:

Cant judge him on one game but you do get the feeling he hasnt progressed off his good games last year.

Snoop Dog 

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:10 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Great article Snoop and well done to all other contributors here. Not a lot of emotional posts rather some well thought out points that make some sense. Insofar as delistings/departures are concerned, I believe the following categories exist:

1. Certain departures:

* Alex Fasolo: simply can't win contests when it matters.

* Clinton Young: just can't get his body right and even if he does in the second half of year, messrs Langdon, Oxley, Seedsman, Ramsay etc have passed him by.

* Lachie Keefe: no need to comment

* Josh Thomas: ditto

* Tony Armstrong: if Crisp was steak knives this guy is "serviettes"

* Ben Sinclair: 7 completed seasons and only 48 matches. he must be Clinton Young's separated at birth, long lost brother!

2. 50/50:

* Sam Dwyer: when playing on a wing vs deep forward pocket, he is a solid 20 possession plus, effective user however being 29 this year and with similar types like B Kennedy on the fringe, a rookie spot may be his best option.

* Corey Gault: I like him, however he cannot waste any chance he gets to impress and needs to "clump his marks"!

SUMMARY:

So with 6-8 departures and C. Young's wage of $350,000 being removed, we should have historical and renewed salary cap space to chase a "meaningful big fish" such as:

* D Shiel
* A Treloar:
* R Sloane
* T Hawkins (yes: no hope, however still hasn't signed)
* C. Dixon
* T Lynch
* D. Hannebery (return to Vic. rumours exist)
* D Prestia (ditto)
* L Henderson
* Hoskin Elliott
* P Dangerfield

Finally, we know Jessie White doesn't have the natural instincts to play as a second forward, however I strongly believe he should be moved to the wing. Recent examples of putting "big talls" up the ground for success include:

* Matthew Richardson
* Stefan Martin
* Jarrod Roughead
* Mark Blicavz
* Sam Reid (B.O.G round 5)
* Koutafides
* Justin Westhoff
* A Embley

So why not take advantage of his athletic prowess and "release him to run and carry"!!

Yeah I think Sinclair and Fasolo will be much discussed this year but given the other departures and an average draft pool I suspect gets another go. A bit will depend on his contract status as well would suspect.

Re White you would think he can but I think he reads it so poorly in the air that he cant play to high up the ground. It sounds basic but you wonder if his vision is ok.

cressyg 

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:54 pm

Great article Snoop. I have also noted the comments of other bloggers and their wish list of players such as a Treloar or a Prestia or Shiel or Sloane..which is great but unrealistic when what they are offering in return is Witts or Fasolo. This has been our biggest problem over the past 15 years. We go after the big players but we only offer our lesser rung players. WE have an overly large opinion of our seniors that they are all individually world beaters and cannot be traded. I am sorry but the likes of Fasolo, Dwyer, Macaffer, Kennedy, Young, Reid, Armstrong, Sinclair and/or Karnezis (all players that are struggling to get a game in the seniors) are not going to get us the players we desire. We need to be bold if we really want a key midfielder or KPF. So if GWS say to the Pies yes you can have Treloar or Shiel or Melbourne say they would trade Hogan but you have only one offer to do so who would you realistically offer. Remember.. You don't get something for nothing!! unless it is FA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14   

Jump to: