Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our Big Cox

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:26 pm
Post subject: Our Big CoxReply with quote

Living in qld now and wonder how the big fella has been going. Anyone been keeping a close eye on how Mason is going?
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not one to shamelessly plug my own work, but here are my reviews of Cox from the 3 games I've seen of him live.

From Practice Match #4 vs North Ballarat...

Quote:
46. Mason Cox
Not a bad sort of a game. Split his time between deep forward and 1st ruck, both of which he performed well enough in, for a 1st year Yank. Started slowly (literally; he looked like a big Willow tree trying to run there early in the piece as they rebounded from defence) but he built into things nicely. Kicked an innovative goal in the 2nd term, where he lost the initial marking contest, but lashed a boot to the thing while it was in mid-air to kick a 35m soccer goal. Another funny moment was where he intercept marked on our forward 50 with just one hand, played on without stopping, and then put it straight down the throat of a North defender. The rough with the smooth, I guess…

...from Round 3 vs the Bulldogs...

Quote:
46. Mason Cox
Pretty good game, actually. For an American with almost no knowledge of the game, he certainly is coming along better than I would have thought. Rotated with Witts between deep forward and first ruck. In the latter, he held his own against a monster in Minson and the more experienced youngster in Campbell and was not shamed.

Finished with 2 goals and took a couple of good marks (one of which was deep forward which he duly converted), but what I really liked were his 1%ers, his 2nd and 3rd efforts after he lost possession or couldn’t win a contest.

He certainly has a crack, that’s for sure. You could actually almost fault him for being TOO enthusiastic, what with trying to take Mark of the Year on Witts’ head and all. Found an extra gear in the last to have a couple of influential moments when they were coming for us.

The club would be very pleased with where he is at. And so should we.

...and from last night vs the Cats:

Quote:
46. Mason Cox
Was well beaten by Simpson in the first half, but he stuck at his task and in the end probably drew even on points. Went down with what looked to be a knee/leg injury in the third quarter (Geelong player went low and took out his legs), but he played the game out, though no doubt will be sore. Also copped a nice shirtfront from Simpson behind the ball at one stage (welcome to Aussie rules!).

His mistiming of jumps at centre bounces are borderline-comical at times, but on the other hand, some of his work around the ground is just terrific to watch (pushing forward and blocking the 3rd man up, for instance). And his endeavour and competitiveness are great as well. Another who will enjoy the 8 day break.

The replay from the Dogs game is also available on the club website, so you can put that on if you want and decide for yourself.

didick 

didick

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:53 am

Thanks MB. Seems like he is trying his guts out and is not without upside.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:11 am

Saw him in the VFL on Sat night. Tried very hard all game. Wet conditions didn't ideally suit a big man but he still did a few nice things. Long way to go but he is definitely heading in the right direction.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:19 pm

^^^ good summary MB.

Works hard but still finding his timing. Will take mark of the year one day, when he gets his timing right.

As Laz puts forward obsessively in the face of some early negative predictions, his kicking is actually quite good.

Took a lovely right cross to the chin from Dawson in a ruck-tackle situation and just shook it off and got on with the game.

The more you see him, the more he grows on you.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:00 pm

Well done to the big yank, looking forward to him hitting the gym and giving it back to simpson over time.

www.facebook/the hybernators
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:26 pm

There's definitely a lot to work with there both in raw athletic ability and in attitude/work ethic.

He certainly seems to be a hard worker who has no illusions about how hard he has to work and is prepared to do it.

Unless something horrible happens I'd expect her would play VFL all season and on current rate of improvement maybe get a game or 2 next year.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:12 pm

I watched part of the geelong replay.
There was definite improvement from round 1 and 2.
Really pleased by his progress.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:14 pm

In the big scheme of things he costs us nothing. I got to see him a little today and what I liked is he is good when the ball hits the ground. A few times there he was ball gazing during the game and in saying that it's his first year. Great signs for a guy who is playing Aussie Rules for the first time in his life.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:07 pm

Plenty of photos of Mason here: https://www.facebook.com/victoriaparkstadium/photos_stream
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:21 pm

I watched most of Mason's games. Gradually improving. One of his biggest development issues is his attack on the high ball. He needs to read the flight quicker and needs to move faster and aggressively jump at the ball and pack. Presently he is often reacting too slowly and therefore not taking advantage of his height. This is not something that will happen overnight. He has to keep persisting and build confidence in his timing and aggression in taking the ball at the top.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:37 pm

die4pies wrote:
Plenty of photos of Mason here: https://www.facebook.com/victoriaparkstadium/photos_stream

Thanks Shane

MOTR 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:27 pm

Has enough exposed form to suggest he'll make an outstanding tap ruckman. Miles ahead of Shae with better athleticism. Not a bad kick at this stage, but does he have the smarts to develop an all round game. Amazing investment at this stage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: