Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Milne off to save the planet

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:57 pm
Post subject: Milne off to save the planetReply with quote

So Milne is off to save the planet. Guess it's off to the nearest phone box and with help from the fairies at the bottom of the garden, Milne has 5 years to change the course of history.

I am sure that Milne, who is highly respected and admired in China and India and by the Republicans in the U.S. Congress will be highly sort to implement climate change policies like the highly successful and popular carbon tax introduced with the Gillard government.

Who knows after that she may even find out the answer to Bob Brown's conundrum about why the intergalactic phones have not been ringing.

“But the reality is that, as I’ve been saying since 2005, we only have until 2020 at the latest to turn this around at a global level or we are going to pass tipping point and … be in runaway global warming.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/climate/im-off-to-save-planet-says-christine-milne/story-e6frg6xf-1227347599830
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be "sought", not "sort".
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:24 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Thanks for picking it up. Great to see that Nicks has employed somebody to pick up the typo's and grammar mistakes. That should keep you busy and give you a real sense of worth and achievement.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:28 pm

Good on her. She's earned plenty of credibility on this topic, and I have no doubt she'll continue to be an effective and dedicated activist.

When people look back on her achievements, she'll be remembered as someone who was years ahead of her time; who campaigned on climate issues long before it was fashionable to do so. Compare this to people who, in the face of overwhelming evidence, relegate themselves to an increasingly desperate fringe. I know who I'd rather be.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:24 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Thanks for picking it up. Great to see that Nicks has employed somebody to pick up the typo's and grammar mistakes. That should keep you busy and give you a real sense of worth and achievement.

Well, there's little of merit in any of your numerous threads on this topic, so I thought I may as well help you with your writing, since we obviously can't have a meaningful conversation.

Not "employed" to do it, by the way - just happy to help.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:02 pm
Post subject: Re: Milne off to save the planetReply with quote

thebaldfacts wrote:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/climate/im-off-to-save-planet-says-christine-milne/story-e6frg6xf-1227347599830

If your going to post links to newspaper stories could you post ones without paywalls?
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:06 pm

3.14159 wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:

If your going to post links to newspaper stories could you post ones without paywalls?

Full text for you.

Christine Milne has shed more light on her resignation as leader of the Greens, revealing she ­believes there is no chance of ­immediate Australian action on climate change — her driving ambition — and that she must take the fight elsewhere.

Senator Milne, who stepped down on Wednesday, told The Weekend Australian that she ­believed the world had only five years in which to prevent “runaway global warming” yet efforts in Canberra appeared futile.

A key player in the introduction of the abandoned Gillard carbon tax, Senator Milne said yesterday that the Greens would continue to push the issue.

“But the reality here is that with an Abbott government you are not going to get progress on anything that is sensible when it comes to reducing emissions or driving the economy towards a low-carbon economy,” she said.

“Of course, it would be great to think there could be breakthroughs on climate and if the (Greens) I’m leaving behind could actually achieve that I’d be the first one to be thrilled to bits.

“But the reality is that, as I’ve been saying since 2005, we only have until 2020 at the latest to turn this around at a global level or we are going to pass tipping point and … be in runaway global warming.”

She repeated her earlier key reason for resignation — that at almost 62 she felt unable to commit to another six-year Senate term — but suggested it was also influenced by her desire to make a difference on climate change.

“Between 2015 and 2020, we have to do this job and it won’t be done in Australia and in an Abbott government, and so therefore you have to look at where you can have your biggest influence. I hope to make a contribution outside the parliament.

“How and where that will be I don’t yet know, but I will have my shoulder to the wheel on climate.”

Senator Milne, credited by colleagues as knowing more about climate policy than any other federal MP, could work with non-government organisations to push the case for more radical action.

Her comments on the need to take the fight beyond Australia points to an overseas role. She has been a regular speaker at UN Framework Convention on Climate Change conferences, among other global forums.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:16 pm

Ahhhh, Christine Milne.

I was wondering WTF the tiprat was doing since he left St Kilda.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:16 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Well, there's little of merit in any of your numerous threads on this topic, so I thought I may as well help you with your writing, since we obviously can't have a meaningful conversation.

Not "employed" to do it, by the way - just happy to help.

Always appreciate your help.

Unfortunately, it is not my fault that you are so close minded on the issue.

It would be nice if some of the global warmists had a sense of humour.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:23 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Ahhhh, Christine Milne.

How dare you, the tip rat being the intellectual giant that he is,would be offended to be compared to his intellectually inferior name sake.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:16 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
3.14159 wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:

Full text for you.

Christine Milne has shed more light on her resignation as leader of the Greens, revealing she ­believes there is no chance of ­immediate Australian action on climate change — her driving ambition — and that she must take the fight elsewhere.

Senator Milne, who stepped down on Wednesday, told The Weekend Australian that she ­believed the world had only five years in which to prevent “runaway global warming” yet efforts in Canberra appeared futile.

A key player in the introduction of the abandoned Gillard carbon tax, Senator Milne said yesterday that the Greens would continue to push the issue.

“But the reality here is that with an Abbott government you are not going to get progress on anything that is sensible when it comes to reducing emissions or driving the economy towards a low-carbon economy,” she said.

“Of course, it would be great to think there could be breakthroughs on climate and if the (Greens) I’m leaving behind could actually achieve that I’d be the first one to be thrilled to bits.

She repeated her earlier key reason for resignation — that at almost 62 she felt unable to commit to another six-year Senate term — but suggested it was also influenced by her desire to make a difference on climate change.

“Between 2015 and 2020, we have to do this job and it won’t be done in Australia and in an Abbott government, and so therefore you have to look at where you can have your biggest influence. I hope to make a contribution outside the parliament.

“How and where that will be I don’t yet know, but I will have my shoulder to the wheel on climate.”

Senator Milne, credited by colleagues as knowing more about climate policy than any other federal MP, could work with non-government organisations to push the case for more radical action.

Her comments on the need to take the fight beyond Australia points to an overseas role. She has been a regular speaker at UN Framework Convention on Climate Change conferences, among other global forums.

Did she actually say "I'm off to save the planet" at any point, or is that just The Australian taking the piss? If so, poor form on their part.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Ahhhh, Christine Milne.

I've gotta say, that was my first thought when I saw the thread title.

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:22 pm

Mine too. Love your work Tiprat
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:23 pm

Not 'what', 'who'
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:29 pm

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Ahhhh, Christine Milne.

I've gotta say, that was my first thought when I saw the thread title.

Yep, I thought he was getting one of those one way tickets to colonise Mars.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: