Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

UBER V TAXI's

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

They banned it in Bangkok. That siad the taxi system is at best shambolic. Drunken drivers. Refusing to put on meters, passengers raped and murdered, as well as robbed. Most expats will get a private car for hire from a neighbour. With fixed fees to say Airport. In Phuket it is worse. Overcharge for every trip. So bad that tourists hire motorbikes that invariably they crash or at least drive drunk. The minibus drivers are lunatics. Coach drivers are arrogant. Smoking and drinking are banned but largely overlooked. I have to go to Bangkok monday and will use a government bus and the Trains. Much more efficient and cheaper than Melbourne.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:03 am

the metro train system in bangkok is good. much better than what we have. not so sure about the inter country trains.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:09 am

stui magpie wrote:
I'd be surprised if the Taxi industry didn't bounce back. I don't know if having Uber as the primary would work well for anyone. Having competition is good as it makes the incumbent lift their game.

Once they shake it up and drivers start getting a fair whack, it will improve.

I might give Uber a go when I'm in the states.

uber has been legalised in victoria again.

also, the taxi industry is in the midst of a reform agenda and implementing the recommendations put forward by a review led by dr alan fels. a part of this reform is looking at how uber fits in the landscape. fels recently said he thought uber was the way to go. if taxi companies and drivers understood what delivery a good customer experience was they wouldn't be in suck a pickle.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:03 pm

And after being de-legalised again, it's going to be legalised again. At a cost.

Quote:
Victorians could be slugged a $1-a-trip tax in taxis, hire cars and ride-sharing vehicles, as the state government tries to compensate existing taxi owners for the business they have lost to Uber.

Taxis will be able to set their own fares in Melbourne, Uber will be legalised and customers will be given fare estimates prior to booking, under proposed state government reforms designed to level the playing field.

Quote:
If the government was to pay for licences at current market rates - about $150,000 - it could cost taxpayers about $800 million.

Dandrews is shaping up as pretty good at spending money.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/victorians-face-trip-tax-to-compensate-taxi-drivers-as-government-prepares-to-give-uber-the-green-light-20160818-gqw5y3.html

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:43 pm

Bailing out investors is a joke but we love doing it with Tax Payers money and that goes for both the ALP and LNP.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:47 pm

I think Bailing out investors is more than that.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:08 pm

So are we going to bail out all the Blockbuster Video franchises because of Netflix? An archaic industry has been caught up to and out competed. It adapts or dies, shouldn't have The State force more money out of people to pay for it.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:28 pm

Culprit wrote:
Bailing out investors is a joke but we love doing it with Tax Payers money and that goes for both the ALP and LNP.

Whilst I don't agree with the bailout, as cabs have been a rip off cartel in Melbourne for years, it is/was a govt sanctioned/controlled one, and that is a big difference with the Blockbuster video comparison. The cab companies have had years to get their collective shit together, and they haven't. I think there should be an upper limit of how much compo is payed though. If someone has 10 licences, that's just an investment gone tits up imho.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:31 pm

^

I'd agree with that. An owner driver deserves some compensation but someone buying up bulk licences as an investment is no different to someone investing in any other way that could get them burned.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:12 am

If house prices fall and my investment value drops I am looking for a payout.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:34 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

I'd agree with that. An owner driver deserves some compensation but someone buying up bulk licences as an investment is no different to someone investing in any other way that could get them burned.

Exactly. Wokko and Culpit are also spot on. How does Uber starting up suddenly cost the taxpayer up to $800 million!!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:03 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Exactly. Wokko and Culpit are also spot on. How does Uber starting up suddenly cost the taxpayer up to $800 million!!

Dandrews really likes spending money?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYo885OoWtY
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:00 am

stui magpie wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Dandrews really likes spending money?
Stui, the opposition wanted to bail them out as well. Now they don't as they can make a headline. lol
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:58 am

So now the tactic being used by the Taxi Licence owners is to get the people on side is to block roads. Yep that will work. If the compensation went to a vote the Taxi Licence Holders would get zip.

In saying that when I heard that the Taxi Drivers started another protest yesterday, I thought they were pissed off about losing the first test.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: