Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

UBER V TAXI's

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the basic difference between this and something like Air B&B? Is there one, really? Because if hoteliers start arcing up about that, I think I know whose camp I'll be in.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:10 am

• Uber is illegal
  • Uber cabs are unlicenced
  • Uber cabs are uninsured
  • Uber cabs are unregulated
  • Uber drivers are unlicenced
  • Uber is a huge overseas company sending all its profits out of the country
  • Uber is a massive tax fraud

Apart from that they are probably much the same.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:04 am

David wrote:
What's the basic difference between this and something like Air B&B? Is there one, really? Because if hoteliers start arcing up about that, I think I know whose camp I'll be in.

People have been offering rooms for private rental or renting out their holiday house to others forever. AirBnB just provides a focus, putting the ads in one place and providing a system to rate them.

djh 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:27 am
Post subject: UberReply with quote

We have used Uber three or four times in the last couple of months, testing it out prior to our January trip to the US, where it is used extensively.

I literally cannot fault them, cars are spotless, water and mints provided, the drivers are polite, friendly and speak perfect English and they know where they are going. Fares are at least 25% less than for a cab.

I will never catch a taxi again while Uber is operating.
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:58 pm
Post subject: Re: UberReply with quote

djh wrote:
We have used Uber three or four times in the last couple of months, testing it out prior to our January trip to the US, where it is used extensively.

I literally cannot fault them, cars are spotless, water and mints provided, the drivers are polite, friendly and speak perfect English and they know where they are going. Fares are at least 25% less than for a cab.

This.

Much cheaper and cleaner and no bullshit about where they need to go. They're also super reliable and show up faster than a cab ever would.

Further endorsement from me is the fact I'm willing to fund my daughter's Uber account because no way do I ever want her to get in a cab.

#SIDEBYSIDE
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:29 pm
Post subject: Re: UberReply with quote

mandy wrote:
djh wrote:

This.

Much cheaper and cleaner and no bullshit about where they need to go. They're also super reliable and show up faster than a cab ever would.

Further endorsement from me is the fact I'm willing to fund my daughter's Uber account because no way do I ever want her to get in a cab.

With stories like this, why would you want to let her in a cab?

http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/cabbie-makes-sexual-advances-towards-dream-girl-passenger/news-story/c999f5f2dcad931a263c0ba521570043

The Herald Sun story had more detail including alleged references to wanting to know if she'd ever had a black cock and was she a good girl or a bad girl.

I've caught many cabs over the years and had very few problems but I'm not a young female. I've never used Uber anywhere, I used taxis several times in Vegas though.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:42 am

It's pretty terrible, but how common is stuff like this, really? I wouldn't know, obviously, but the prevalence matters.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:44 am

my kids only get in cabs with a group of friends, or ill pick em up, would have to be an emergency, and i tell them ring me, talk to me, or at least pretend your on the phone to me while your in the cab!
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:38 am

Have never used Uber and rarely used taxis. Used two taxis to for an office Christmas party last week. Both taxis were spotless. The drivers were both Indian but both were very professional. They both knew where they were going and both were friendly and communicative.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:47 am

Member 7167 wrote:
Have never used Uber and rarely used taxis. Used two taxis to for an office Christmas party last week. Both taxis were spotless. The drivers were both Indian but both were very professional. They both knew where they were going and both were friendly and communicative.

Being in Bendigo, I hardly ever use a taxi in Melbourne but I had to do just this 2 weekends ago. The taxi driver was a very friendly and knowledgeable African chap, the taxi was clean as a whistle and I had no problems at all getting to the destination.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:57 pm

Uber drivers can be just as sleazy.....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/uber-driver-preet-singh-indecently-assaults-young-woman-but-avoids-being-branded-sex-offender/news-story/2f9faa72aeaa29596ac9442f10eea3fb

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:22 pm

The Seedsmeister wrote:
Uber drivers can be just as sleazy.....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/uber-driver-preet-singh-indecently-assaults-young-woman-but-avoids-being-branded-sex-offender/news-story/2f9faa72aeaa29596ac9442f10eea3fb

Uber drivers are easily identified (your driver is shown to you in the app) and get rated after givig rides, this guy would've been fired instanty.

Uber is simply a better model and the Taxi industry would do well to co-opt as much as they can from Uber's technology driven system.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:42 pm

I have become an UBER Driver to earn some extra cash. I can only thank the crap Taxi industry for helping me earn some extra dollars over this Xmas period. As far as legality goes it's all about money. The TAXI licence holders want dollar for dollar back for their licences um investment. Some would suggest a Guaranteed return on their investment. I would love that guarantee. If they got that return then the so called Taxi Industry would not care what happens. If the Taxi Industry put as much effort into their operations as they protest about UBER then they would not have to worry about UBER.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:16 pm

^

What's the rate of pay like?

Even though Uber is supposedly cheaper, it seems that Uber drivers get more money probably because most cab owners take 50% or more of the fare off the driver

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:24 pm

think positive wrote:
my kids only get in cabs with a group of friends, or ill pick em up, would have to be an emergency, and i tell them ring me, talk to me, or at least pretend your on the phone to me while your in the cab!

When Shelby orders an Uber I get a notification of who's on their way and what car they're driving. Once she's picked up I can follow her trip live on the app so I know exactly where she is the whole time.

(Shelby finds this a bit creepy but I enjoy it. Smile )

#SIDEBYSIDE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: