Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because the second one was explicitly racially motivated whereas the first one wasn’t? That is, it was a relevant aspect of the crime.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:07 am

David wrote:
Probably because the second one was explicitly racially motivated whereas the first one wasn’t? That is, it was a relevant aspect of the crime.

So someone declaring themselves a "Soldier of Allah" and shouting ""Allahu Akhbar," whilst murdering people does not have a motive?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:25 am

Not necessarily a racial one, no.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:49 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Culprit wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/11/05/reports-multiple-people-shot-at-texas-church/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_texasshooting-223pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.d25017f72940

It's interesting that the President is "monitoring" this situation.
Nothing to see here as it was a shooter and not a Muslim refugee perpetrator driving a car/truck.

You seem to suggest that the media have an agenda regards mass killings.
I agree. He's the final part of a SMH article about today's shooting.
It identifies two recent mass shootings in America.
In one, it identifies the perpetrator as white, the victims as black, and the motive as racism.
The other does not identify the racial background of the shooter nor his motive. Can you figure out why?
No I am saying that America doesn't give a shit about Americans shooting one another. It's an actual pastime over there. I say there is nothing to see here as there isn't. If it was terror related it would be on a news feed. That's different as that's someone else killing Americans. Move on as there will be another mass shooting, followed by another. Situation normal is the USA.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:57 pm

Quote:
No I am saying that America doesn't give a shit about Americans shooting one another. It's an actual pastime over there. I say there is nothing to see here as there isn't. If it was terror related it would be on a news feed. That's different as that's someone else killing Americans. Move on as there will be another mass shooting, followed by another. Situation normal is the USA.

I misinterpreted your post. Apologies.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:26 am

Trump, "it's mental issues, not guns". The NRA line, the world should stop reporting on mass shootings from the US as it will never change.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:40 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/texas-church-shooting-gunman-massacre-first-baptist-church-sutherland-springs-devin-patrick-kelly-a8039476.html

Quote:
Mr Trump said preliminary reports suggested the gunman was "a very deranged individual, [with] a lot of problems."

"We have a lot of mental health problems in our country, as do other countries. But this isn't a guns situation," he said. "Fortunately somebody else had a gun that was shooting in the opposite direction."

I’m sure it’s a great relief to the families of the 26 dead that somebody else had a gun.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Culprit wrote:
Trump, "it's mental issues, not guns". The NRA line, the world should stop reporting on mass shootings from the US as it will never change.

Much rather a mentally ill person armed with a knife than one with a military grade assault rifle Mr President.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:32 pm

I know the guy’s not the sharpest tool in the shed and that he’s just parroting NRA dogma, but that comment is really something, isn’t it?
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 am

The NRA narrative is that f more people had guns they could fight back. Las Vegas would have been good. 400 people pull out a gun and shoot at anyone else with one. Would have killed everyone but the culprit.

I don't think it will ever change unless somehow victims start suing and winning cases against elected officials receiving funding form the NRA or the NRA themselves. Not the organisation, the organsers.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:50 am

It’s an attractive idea, Ronrat, but I don’t think there is any chance that lawmakers will be sued (can you imagine the ramifications if they did and won?). It is conceivable that gun makers might be sued, but I can’t see any tort being upheld against you for what a buyer did to someone else with your lawfully-available product.

If it did not change after Sandy Hook, I struggle to see it ever changing. I am a little surprised that a counter body to the NRA has not sprung up, as I know there are many millions of Americans who want to see this menace eradicated from their society. Perhaps a strong enough leader will emerge, one day, to start funding such a body. With a continuous public education campaign and effective single issue lobbying, It’s just possible that the NRA’s own methods could be turned against it. But as long as that provision sits enthroned within the constitution, it is a hell of a citadel to overpower.

I do wonder whether the explosion of gun ownership and gun crime is a way for ordinary people try to claim back some sense of power and invulnerability as larger forces erode their sense of community, continuity and self-worth. If so, it is hard to see it getting any better any time soon.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:39 am

It is probably down to someone like Bill Gates to fund it. If the NRA spend all their time and money defending themselves they will probably have less to spend on lobbyists. Mo body foresaw the tobacco mob getting sued. Brave politicians, even local ones, are needed. Alas they are few and far between. Perhaps a strafing at the Academy awards or a massacre at Disneyland or a Trump resort might would be required to get it rolling.

I can see the USAF getting sued here.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:42 am

Yes, suing gunmakers, ala tobacco lawsuits, is a way forward...

But, unfortunately, it seems that the lawmakers have acted to protect gun manufacturers from litigation.

See:
https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/10/06/446348616/fact-check-are-gun-makers-totally-free-of-liability-for-their-behavior
http://time.com/4967018/las-vegas-shooting-gun-lawsuits/

Contrast with:
http://time.com/3016961/23-6-billion-lawsuit-winner-to-big-tobacco-are-you-awake-now/
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:45 am

Texas shooting was stopped by a good guy with a gun.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/06/stephen-willeford-johnnie-langendorff-texas-church-shooting

A former NRA instructor.

Shooter was a creepy militant atheist weirdo with a grudge against his ex-wife.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:58 am

Wokko wrote:
Texas shooting was stopped by a good guy with a gun.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/06/stephen-willeford-johnnie-langendorff-texas-church-shooting

Just in time for 26 people not to be killed. I guess all's well that ends well, then!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Page 90 of 105   

Jump to: