Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 4 - Geelong vs Collingwood at Queen Elizabeth Oval

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, back at home now after a great night out in Bendigo watching the ressies pull off a gutsy win.

To work, to work, to work. Hopefully I can have the player reviews done before my eyes become too heavy to open...

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:34 am

I hit the wrong quote button when responding earlier (hey, I was covering a miraculous fightback, give me some credit, will ya? Laughing ), but this deserves a response...

Pies4shaw wrote:
I see that the defence has been poor a couple of times, MagpieBat. Are they having trouble covering the loss of Armstrong? Will he be back next week?

You are a funny funny man, P4S.

Have you got a joke about why the chicken crossed the road in that kit-bag as well, or does you routine only have enough in it to meet the '2 drinks rule'? Wink Laughing

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:38 am

thompsoc wrote:
Can you answer this one MB.
Why doesnt the Club have internet radio for every match?

I cant answer that, thompsoc.

You would think that, given we've got radio for home games, we could take it a step further and have away games covered as well. It is that last piece of unfinished business, isn't it?

Still, we do seem to be getting the replay put up on a weekly basis, which is the next best thing. I can thoroughly recommend this one, the final quarter in particular... Very Happy

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:12 am

Leave it, It's Billy E's wrote:
Mmm
Pie baggers?
My mate is a Filth fan n he uses blue baggers.,
To close for comfort for me MB...

Old habits die hard, LiiB.

When I was a boy, one of my fondest memories listening to Collingwood games on the ABC was, when we kicked a goal (particularly in a close game), my dad would thump the arms of his armchair screaming "GO YOU PIEBAGGERS!" at the top of his voice. It's something I've carried over into my barracking and calling.

I can see why it conjures bad feelings, though. I guess the word "baggers" does bring up images of that mob, doesn't it?

I'll try keep it to "Woodsmen" or good old-fashioned "Pies" from now on... Wink

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:15 am

mattys123 wrote:
Oh cmon, plug a mic into that laptop of yours and do a live radio cross yourself. Razz

I do enough for you people.

Besides, you really don't want to hear my voice. Coverage black hole or no coverage black hole, you'd be breaking your speakers within 5 minutes... Razz Laughing

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:19 am

Dave The Man wrote:
mattys123 wrote:
That Bat was on song tonight, awesome updates. Very Happy

Great win too. Very Happy

and he had to Drive 5+ Hours to get there Shocked

Well, 3 and a half hours, but let's not quibble.

I also had a great relief driver to share the workload with. He's not a bad football analyst either... Smile

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:36 am

Player reviews...

1. Alex Fasolo (40)
Kicked the 3 goals, but really, he just didn't really have the impact you would want from a player now in his 5th season. Just didn't work hard enough, for mine. True, he came through a couple of times at clutch moments with those goals, but he's just too good for this level and to see a talented young man like Fas not blitzing at this level is just so disappointing. Won't be in contention on that outing...

7. Ben Kennedy (11)
Our 2nd BoG. Was just everywhere, outside, inside, flitting about for a receive or winning a scrappy ball. Classy ball use was pivotal in the conditions. Took a fantastic diving mark in the last, from which he goaled, as well as a blistering run at full-tilt through traffic where he took it upon himself to blast one through from 50 just before the three quarter time siren.

Will still need a couple more weeks at this level, but he is starting to purr. I found it rather darkly amusing that he was wearing Blair's number 11 tonight, seeing that Blair currently holds the spot Kenendy would play in the seniors. Watch out though Blairy, because once Benny really gets going, you are a dead duck!

12. Matthew Scharenberg
Played a full game and was pretty good, for a player 2nd game back from an ACL. Rotated between standing Geelong opponents and sweeping back as a loose man. Silky user of the ball, which we all knew. Took a real courageous mark in the 3rd, where he went back with the flight, took the grab and wore the physical punishment from being cannoned into by Dawson Simpson. Impressive in itself, but for a kid with his recent injury history, it was just inspiring to see. Wouldn't be surprised if it inspired a few of the players too, because we started to get a run on not long after that.

Seems to have survived again, which is even better. Can't help wondering if a good game, in which he wore some punishment, at the very same venue that he done his knee at, would have been a good mental release as well. Regardless, he will be better for the run. Hang tight, Pies fans, he's on his way...

17. Jonathon Marsh
Not an easy night at the office. Had the job on Josh Walker and got murdered in the 1st half, by Walker's superior physical strength and by his own ineptitude (going to ground, being lead under the footy). Gritted his teeth and kept at it after half time, where he was much better. Kicking was better than last week. Overall, a slight correction after last week's heroics.

21. Nathan Freeman
As I mentioned earlier, a workman-like performance. Put his head over it and won his fair share of the ball. Obviously out-shone by De Goey (more on him shortly) but he played his role. I think there has been a bit of hysteria over his less-than-explosive start this year. Obviously you'd love to see him use that speed with some blistering runs through the middle and down the wings, but we can't everything from a player who is effectively in his first year. He's getting there.

35. Jordan De Goey
Oh. My. God. Oh my Lordy McLord, WHAT A GAME! Best on Ground by so far it isn't funny (and whoever put Lachie Wallace ahead of him for the official bests, shame on you sir/madam). Won the ball, received the ball, used the ball well more often than not, chased hard, tackled hard, even took an early contender for Mark of the Year to boot. Played primarily in the midfield, but also rotated deep forward to utilize his marking ability, continuing the tactic the coaching staff have employed the past couple of weeks.

The only blemish on his game (and it is the only real mark against him) was his inaccuracy in front of the sticks, returning 0.3 from three shots which were all very gettable. The one in the third, where he flummoxed his man deep in the forward line, danced around and missed a simple snap from 25 out directly in front was particularly bad. If you take the responsibility, you have to convert.

As it turns out, we won, so no harm done, but you get my point...

Regardless, he must come into the seniors on that game (and the body of work he has built over the first month of the season), probably for Karnezis. And by seniors, I mean start, not bloody sub!

37. Brayden Maynard
Serviceable over the course of the first three quarters in defence, but really stood up in the last, morphing into Pendlebury from the final term of last week. Wore 2 or 3 decent hits going for the contested ball in that final quarter. Certainly wasn't put off by his brush with concussion last week, which is as desirable as it is foolhardy. His tank has been a noted area of deficiency, so for him to find something in the last quarter on a heavy track is just fantastic to see. Good stuff, Mayo.

38. Matthew Goodyear
Named initially, but did not play. Rested?

39. Michael Manteit
Unremarkable game. Played on a wing and seemed to have particular responsibilities as that 'defensive wingman' (setting up loose defensive side of the stoppage, looping back across the half back line to help out). Did his job without being much of a stand-out, which is probably what the coaching staff would want anyway.

41. Brendan Abbott
Good game from him. Kicked an unbelievable goal in the first to tie things up just before the buzzer. He can certainly pull one out from where the sun don't shine. Rather like the actual Big Show, really...

As to the rest of his game, he was serviceable as a leading/marking half forward. Was responsible for a couple of forward entries which ended in goals. Used up some petrol with his 2nd and 3rd efforts. Don't recall seeing him after three quarter time, so he was either injured or just ran out of puff and couldn't effect the contest anymore, which in the conditions is perfectly understandable. Fast becoming a crowd favourite.

44. Corey Gault
A good game, both as a forward and as a relieving ruckman. For mine, he probably was our best ruckman for the night, owing to his ability to hold his ground with Simpson. I suppose four years in the system will do that. Lead and marked well and worked really hard as a CHF. His presence at this level makes the team's forward setup work so much better. Stui and jackcass will be most pleased (again).

Do you pick him for White? Well, that depends on whether you think White's 2 goals were enough to keep his head above water and whether you think Gault will do any better. He certainly complements the forward structure, even if he doesn't score heavily. Wouldn't be upset if he came back, tell you the truth. Magnet is certainly on the board on that performance.

46. Mason Cox
Was well beaten by Simpson in the first half, but he stuck at his task and in the end probably drew even on points. Went down with what looked to be a knee/leg injury in the third quarter (Geelong player went low and took out his legs), but he played the game out, though no doubt will be sore. Also copped a nice shirtfront from Simpson behind the ball at one stage (welcome to Aussie rules!).

His mistiming of jumps at centre bounces are borderline-comical at times, but on the other hand, some of his work around the ground is just terrific to watch (pushing forward and blocking the 3rd man up, for instance). And his endeavour and competitiveness are great as well. Another who will enjoy the 8 day break.

From our VFL boys...

- Michael Still, take a bow sir. Kicked 4 goals on a night you wouldn't think was suitable for talls, but also put in heaps of work off the ball. Is in some really good form after an ordinary start to the season. Works much better with a 2nd viable tall forward option to help out and allow him to get off the chain.

- Ben Moloney once again put in a great game. Would have been in his element, out there in a slop fest. In particular, his repeat efforts are an example to some senior-listed players currently drawing a paycheque.

- Similarly, Jack Hellier keeps on keeping on, turning in another good workman's performance. Kicked a goal when we needed to get some momentum going in the third. As a good captain does, he delivers when we need it.

- I love Jake Williams, love him love him LOVE HIM! Yet another good game, playing on a wing. Played the territory game to a tee, but also chased and tackled and pushed back to help out. Smart with his use of the ball. Fasolo can thank him for that final quarter goal, because it was Jake's desperation that created the free kick and subsequent forward 50 entry. You can just see why he is in the VFL Academy squad with games like that/

- Lachlan Wallace was our best small running defender for the night and always seemed to bob up when we needed him across half back. Deserves his spot in the bests, but not ahead of De Goey, who was just on another level.

- And speaking of defenders, Jesse Wallin followed up last week's performance with another solid game. Loved that intercept mark in the last, followed by the play-on, which set up Still's 4th goal. Becoming a dependable player at this level.

That was a gutsy win. We're now 2-2 after a shaky start to the year. And with re-enforcements hopefully on the way (sweet merciful McHale, give us SOMETHING!), beat Richmond next week and we will go into the bye at 3-2 with some momentum on our side and our season back on track.

Oh, and Dave, you would have been in your element up there. The umps were giving Geelong free kicks like lollies for those first three quarters. I am comfortably satisfied that the verbal equivalent of drums full of machine gun brass would have been spent by your good self tonight... Wink

melliot 

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:49 am

Good summary MB.

What is evident is lack of kpp on the list. Marsh and Gault are it in terms of reserve stocks coming through.
themonk 

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:21 am

melliot wrote:
Good summary MB.

What is evident is lack of kpp on the list. Marsh and Gault are it in terms of reserve stocks coming through.

Don't forget Reid & Moore.

Although I do agree that another young tall would be great, hence my dissapointment in Cameron staying with GWS.

A tall and a classy mid should be our key objective going into 2016.
melliot 

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:36 am

themonk wrote:
melliot wrote:
Good summary MB.

Although I do agree that another young tall would be great, hence my dissapointment in Cameron staying with GWS.

In reference to the bold. Ummmm.......

DeGoey.

Reid could be cooked. Who knows? Hope not.
I did forget about Moore. But I still feel future kpp is our shortage. I think we have enough mid. They just need time.
melliot 

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:49 am

Photos

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/3067902/geelong-v-collingwood-photos/?cs=140#slide=1
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:57 am

melliot wrote:
themonk wrote:
melliot wrote:
Good summary MB.

In reference to the bold. Ummmm.......

DeGoey.

Reid could be cooked. Who knows? Hope not.
I did forget about Moore. But I still feel future kpp is our shortage. I think we have enough mid. They just need time.

Pretty much literally every team in the comp has a KPP shortage. 195cm guys with co-ordination, athleticism and skill are very hard to find.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:10 pm

Great night at the QEO. Weather wasn't brilliant but thankfully not too much rain.

As others have noted De Goey was the stand out, was in everything and his roving of ruck and contested marking situations was at times breathtaking. A senior berth beckons.

BK next. Goal in the 3rd where hit the afterburners and weaved his way through congestion to run to 50 and kick from long range the highlight. Work rate was also high. Only his 2nd game back from illness and possibly 1-2 more at this level to build back to full fitness. Wouldn't be out of place at senior level next week if selected.

Abbott. What a beast. Hit a pack at CHF really hard and nearly pulled in the screamer. Sent a message to Cats defenders, you back back into my space and I'll hurt you. Struggled to remain consistently in the game but his cameo efforts just give you so much to enthuse about.

Marsh. Got beaten early but just kept battling away get ten better as the game wore on. Disposal was good.

Shaz. Got through a full game and did some nice things. Looks preppy running but I think is just a psychological thing. Also seems to avoid kicking on the left. Baby steps.

Freeman. Workmanlike. Early season run and dash missing at the moment.

Faz. Was okay. Question work rate.

Gault. Battled manfully and had some nice moments. 2nd - 3rd efforts good. Got on the lead a bit and clunked a few marks.

Maynard, Manteit, and Cox were okay.

Really pleased with the VFL kids. Pendles, Wallace and Williams becoming favorites. Still's best game as well.

Lack of genuine KPPs hurt early as Cats clearly taller, bigger and stronger. As the game progressed the pendulum seemed to swing though and our smaller nippier players gained run and the ascendency.

Don't know who the kid wearing 70 is but god he's brave. Just relentlessly threw himself where angels fear to go. Won plenty of footy including marking against much bigger appoints. Bit of Puopolo about him and a good stop gap in the absence of Sir Ferguson.

Overall, fantastic 4 quarter effort.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:25 pm

Thanks guys & MB especially for the reports. Great stuff.

I wanted us to rookie draft Jake Wiliams last year, The kid has talent & uses it.

Great to read about Abbott.

We need to be patient with both Freeman & Shara. It's a long season & looking forward to them joining the one's in due course.

Kosh 

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:30 pm

jackcass wrote:
Great night at the QEO. Weather wasn't brilliant but thankfully not too much rain.

As others have noted De Goey was the stand out, was in everything and his roving of ruck and contested marking situations was at times breathtaking. A senior berth beckons.

BK next. Goal in the 3rd where hit the afterburners and weaved his way through congestion to run to 50 and kick from long range the highlight. Work rate was also high. Only his 2nd game back from illness and possibly 1-2 more at this level to build back to full fitness. Wouldn't be out of place at senior level next week if selected.

Abbott. What a beast. Hit a pack at CHF really hard and nearly pulled in the screamer. Sent a message to Cats defenders, you back back into my space and I'll hurt you. Struggled to remain consistently in the game but his cameo efforts just give you so much to enthuse about.

Marsh. Got beaten early but just kept battling away get ten better as the game wore on. Disposal was good.

Shaz. Got through a full game and did some nice things. Looks preppy running but I think is just a psychological thing. Also seems to avoid kicking on the left. Baby steps.

Freeman. Workmanlike. Early season run and dash missing at the moment.

Faz. Was okay. Question work rate.

Gault. Battled manfully and had some nice moments. 2nd - 3rd efforts good. Got on the lead a bit and clunked a few marks.

Maynard, Manteit, and Cox were okay.

Really pleased with the VFL kids. Pendles, Wallace and Williams becoming favorites. Still's best game as well.

Lack of genuine KPPs hurt early as Cats clearly taller, bigger and stronger. As the game progressed the pendulum seemed to swing though and our smaller nippier players gained run and the ascendency.

Don't know who the kid wearing 70 is but god he's brave. Just relentlessly threw himself where angels fear to go. Won plenty of footy including marking against much bigger appoints. Bit of Puopolo about him and a good stop gap in the absence of Sir Ferguson.

Overall, fantastic 4 quarter effort.

Thanks for the summary J. 70 is Jack Blair. Bull Abbot is built like a brick s..house. I really hope he makes it as he has an undeniable physicality that's will be really valuable at senior level.

I hope Blair is half as good as Sir Alec. I loved watching him last year and was gutted when he left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13   

Jump to: