Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Witts end?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeps Witts in. Play Grundy as a forward and relief ruck and drop Jessie White.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:13 am

Flashman wrote:
For what it's worth Grundy probably had his poorest game for the year but still wasn't terrible either.

I don't get the scorn for Dave just because he's an unabashed Grundy fan. As has been stated elsewhere a ruckman of Grundy's age having such an influence and playing to such a standard at such an early stage of his career is almost unheard of in the modern era. We should all be fans of the kid, he's a ripper.

As for Witts he has plenty of upside as well. He looked rusty and a bit off with his ruckwork, as can be expected from such a big man without a proper preseason but he showed last year that he is developing at the right rate and he'll get better (whether that means more VFL time then so be it)

The so called supporters who labelled (or is that libelled) Witts as a "dud", "spud" and "worst player ever" on the basis of a dropped mark that cost us a goal are such knee jerk hysterics, hyperbolists and sooks (and we all know exactly who they are) that their opinions deserve the same respect that they accord our players ie squat.

DTM can rest easy as I don't think there is any doubt that Grundy is the more rounded player and a better ruck man at the same age of 21.

Of course this is not to say Witts can't and wont develop into a top line ruck option in the future as after all he doesn't turn 23 till September.

I guess the one problem we are going to encounter is that both players are best suited to the No.1 ruck mantle and thrive on the work rate that entails.

How we best manage this in order to win games of football and develop both players is still a work in progress.

Grundy has started the year magnificently and how the presence of Witts affects this is still a wait and see.

My biggest fear in having both in the side going forward is that we end up with two ruck man operating at about 75% capacity of each player.

In reality for the pairing to really work at least of the two will need to really start becoming a consistent threat up forward.

By the way when Witts was in the ruck on Friday night did Grundy spend much time forward?

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:58 pm

From what I've seen, Grundy is not a forward option.
Even after watching Witts drop those sitters Friday night for mine, he's still ahead of Grundy in that regard! I do see plenty of upside in Witts in all aspects of his game!
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:31 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Flashman wrote:
For what it's worth Grundy probably had his poorest game for the year but still wasn't terrible either.

I don't get the scorn for Dave just because he's an unabashed Grundy fan. As has been stated elsewhere a ruckman of Grundy's age having such an influence and playing to such a standard at such an early stage of his career is almost unheard of in the modern era. We should all be fans of the kid, he's a ripper.

As for Witts he has plenty of upside as well. He looked rusty and a bit off with his ruckwork, as can be expected from such a big man without a proper preseason but he showed last year that he is developing at the right rate and he'll get better (whether that means more VFL time then so be it)

The so called supporters who labelled (or is that libelled) Witts as a "dud", "spud" and "worst player ever" on the basis of a dropped mark that cost us a goal are such knee jerk hysterics, hyperbolists and sooks (and we all know exactly who they are) that their opinions deserve the same respect that they accord our players ie squat.

DTM can rest easy as I don't think there is any doubt that Grundy is the more rounded player and a better ruck man at the same age of 21.

Of course this is not to say Witts can't and wont develop into a top line ruck option in the future as after all he doesn't turn 23 till September.

I guess the one problem we are going to encounter is that both players are best suited to the No.1 ruck mantle and thrive on the work rate that entails.

How we best manage this in order to win games of football and develop both players is still a work in progress.

Grundy has started the year magnificently and how the presence of Witts affects this is still a wait and see.

My biggest fear in having both in the side going forward is that we end up with two ruck man operating at about 75% capacity of each player.

In reality for the pairing to really work at least of the two will need to really start becoming a consistent threat up forward.

By the way when Witts was in the ruck on Friday night did Grundy spend much time forward?

Anyone else get the feeling the presence of Witts has a more negative impact on the form of Grundy than Grundy does on Witts?

Tonight Grundy only had 8 disposals which is clearly his lowest total of the season and half his season average.

Naturally with the presence of Witts his hit out totals have been reduced from an average of 30 across the first 3 weeks to 18 these past 2.

To small a sample size to make definitive conclusions but the output of Grundy has diminished week by week these last 3 while Witts has been pretty stable with his contributions in terms of possessions going 16, 14, 13. Tonight was his largest hit out numbers with 21.

I want the experiment to continue but as someone who rates Grundy as the more complete player I'll be worried if his form slips over the next few weeks.

I think Grundy might thrive on the back of the work rate of being a solo ruck more than perhaps Witts thus why when the two play together it seemingly affects him more.

The key to this pairing working into the future is one or both becoming better forward targets.

This season at least neither look likely of becoming consistent in this area with Grundy 3 goals in 8 games (career 7 goals in 30 games) and Witts 1 goal in 3 games (14 goals in 30 games).

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:39 pm

You should also count the certain goal Witts gave away today to ... er ... I forget who to already.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:19 am

Good to see Wittsy still going hard in the last. Significant improvement and getting back to what he offered last season. Forward work generally good and amazing below his knees for a bloke his size.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:47 am

I agree with Swoop. Grundy has more work to do than Witts to make this pairing work. He's not good enough around the ground or as a forward at this stage and this is why his form suffers when not left to ruck alone. Witts is ahead in these areas and if he gets stronger and is able to play a more physical game he'll be a very good player. Grundy's lack of marking ability is a bit of a worry and his forward play overall is very poor.

In the end we're in a no lose situation. Either the pairing works and we have the best ruck duo we've just about ever seen. Or it doesn't and we have a valuable asset to offer in a trade either this year or next.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:51 am

Best since Len and Jerka, I reckon.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:15 pm

They're coming along nicely atm.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:37 pm

I like both in the side and hope we persist
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

Jump to: