Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Witts end?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The hack couldn't catch a cold tonight. Useless.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:39 am

swoop42 wrote:
Still in a game we lost by 7 goals he finished with 15 disposals and 16 hit outs.

Hit-outs: Half of which were gifted down the throat of Geelong pricks for easy clearance, but that's up to our bludging mids to correct.

He and Grundy were dusted by that spaz Stanley, which was embarrassing to watch. Learn from it.

Don't think he psychology recovered from that f*cking SODA mark he dropped, gifting Geelong a goal we didn't need...

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:02 am

He is a Plodder with Little Footy Smarts
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:03 am

piedys wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
Still in a game we lost by 7 goals he finished with 15 disposals and 16 hit outs.

Hit-outs: Half of which were gifted down the throat of Geelong pricks for easy clearance, but that's up to our bludging mids to correct.

He and Grundy were dusted by that spaz Stanley, which was embarrassing to watch. Learn from it.

Don't think he psychology recovered from that f*cking SODA mark he dropped, gifting Geelong a goal we didn't need...

Grundy had a Good Game

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:05 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Grundy had a Good Game

Reckon that knee in the ribs took the wind out of Grundy?
Witts seemed to ruck for the remainder of the game IIRC?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:08 am

piedys wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Grundy had a Good Game

Reckon that knee in the ribs took the wind out of Grundy?
Witts seemed to ruck for the remainder of the game IIRC?

Yeah - The Rib Shot did slow him down but he still put in Effort

Greening gold 

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:49 am

Beast wrote:
A half-fit Witts is better than Gault who unfortunately looks like fish out of water at this level. Hopefully Bucks sees it sooner rather than later so we don't run Brodie into the ground.

Witts looked like a whale out of water tonight.

Greening gold 

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:51 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Wittsy will play sooner rather than later, I still would pick him ahead of White, who does ruck duties with Samurai. I just reckon Witts is a better option up forward than Jesse, so big, so hard too outmark one on one.

Provided he can catch the freaking pill!

Greening gold 

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:54 am

Tannin wrote:
John Wren wrote:
i really wonder how often we will play grundy and witts in the same team. witts is not a like for like white replacement.

Correct, and correct for seven reasons:

• 1: Witts is a genuine ruckman, not a fill-in type.
  • 2: In the event of an injury to Grundy, you could ruck Witts all day without doing something nasty in your pants at the thought of it.
  • 3: Witts can take contested marks.
  • 4: Witts can get in front, lead out into space and catch the pill, rather than just doing the first two.
  • 5: Witts can kick straight more often than not.
  • 6: Witts is a young player on the way up with who knows how much improvement left in him, not an almost-old player on the way sideways with no real prospect of much more than what we have already seen for years now.
  • 7: Witts is slower and less mobile than White.

Will you take six out of seven? Or is eight out of seven the pass mark these days?

I'd have taken one out of seven tonight.

Greening gold 

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:58 am

RudeBoy wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:
Gault a bit stiff, because he complemented the structure even though he wasn't dominating, but our higher scores were kicked last year with Cloke, White and one of Grundy/Witts resting forward, so the change is fair enough.

Bucks put White on notice yesterday, so if he doesn't starting taking a few grabs, Gault may be back in sooner rather than later.

Seems White can't read notices then. And he won't be playing with the grown-ups next week.

Greening gold 

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:01 am

Defender wrote:
He's without doubt amongst the slowest players in the history of the game, he just doesn't cover the ground and his contested marking skills are beyond pathetic, he spills in uncontested marks, he directly cost us 4 goals tonight IMO, he just isn't up to it.

Makes Sandilands look like Usain Bolt.

E 

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:26 am

I need to start by saying that I like Witts a lot and I love Grundy (a real lot). I think either one of them presents to us a tantalizing and very good first ruck option!

However, as I have expressed before, our side always seems to look slow when both of them play in the same team. There always seems to be loose men everywhere and our structures appear to really fall apart.

In the current game, where their ruckman would at times take on the run with role against Pendles so that we had two (agile for a big man) slow midfielders on the ground at the same time to their none!! we looked totally screwed. Of course, when the steam was out of the game, and the rule about big men still being big came into effect, we saw that Collingwood seemed to do a bit better.

I don't know if this is just coincidence, but I for one am very worried about our ability to carry both of them..

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:44 am

I thought Witts started great and was clearly our best for the first 20 minutes or so.

Then he dropped a sitter under no pressure that led directly to a goal and he was absolutely useless the rest of the night.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:02 am

witts gets into good position all around the ground but then goes to ground to easily which then brings him back to normL size, is pushed of the ball to easily, is to slow to dispose of it when he has it and shows no aggression at all.
Sometimes I feel he try's to hard by going the ground ball, he needs to clear a path for those under his nose. Ill cut him some slack for a while yet because it's not all his fault. He's limitations are not considered.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:09 pm

Damien wrote:
Yes, playing two bigs in wood and Warnock failed but if you're comparing them to Grundy & Witts, you're comparing two total retards to two up and coming champs

Nonsense.

Warnock isn't worth the paper he is written on, but Wood was always better than most of the self-appointed students of the game here on Nicks ever admitted when he was on our list. He was a good team man with a great attitude but, like most ruckmen, needed time to mature. We cut him just as he was coming into his own at long last, but even before that he served notice that he had the makings of a decent ruckman in him with excellent, brave solo efforts against the giant Western Australians.

At Carlton he has matured into a good, solid AFL ruckman able to match it with most of them, and able to pick up valuable kicks in general play and boot a goal or two as well. He scored more goals against us last week than 18 other Carlton players all put together: 33% of Carlton's score came off his boot - not bad considering he played as a ruckman, not a forward. (His first goal against us was a ripper.)

So get off his case. He'll never be a champion, but he's a better than decent player and certainly worth his place in the side, which is more than you can say for most of the rest of that rabble. Would you swap him for Witts? No, though on average he's a better player right now than young Witts is. Would you swap him for Grundy? Not a chance. Would you keep him on your list unless you had the likes of Witts and Grundy coming through? Of course you would: you'll get an honest game out of him, and he might or might not get beaten on the day but he won't get smashed - and down at Carlton, that's gold.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: