Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Witts end?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Grundy is young and will need a rest even if he doesn't want one. The last thing we want to do with this kid is Josh Fraser him. Reminds me a lot of Fraser actually, same height, same weight, similar around the ground talent. I just hope we get the best out of him and don't run him into the ground.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:55 pm

perthmagpie wrote:
I thought Witts VFL game on Saturday was his best so far of the three I have seen. He is still learning and I don't expect him to take control of AFL games just yet.

I am a big believer in Grundy. That is not to take anything away from Wittsy. Grundy has to me had something really special from his first VFL game. He can and will be a dangerous forward eventually. He is going to be an out and out star.

Wittsy will get games soon as Grundy can't carry our rucks every week. Wittsy needs to attack his marks more and he will become more dangerous around the ground and up forward. When both of these guys develop the last part of their game, taking marks around the ground and up forward then they will be playing together every week.

I don't think you're giving Witts enough credit. He carried our rucks last season as our clear number 1 option and really started to influence games toward the end of the season. I don't think there's that much between Witts and Grundy.

Last edited by jackcass on Tue May 05, 2015 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:56 pm

Good points Wokko. I reckon we need to give Grundy a rest every 5 weeks and have Witts in for Gault, J White to the wing and Reid at CHF. The likely abolition of the sub next year should facilitate the playing of both in years to come!!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:59 pm

Tannin wrote:
Calm down, Rudeboy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6wok7g7do

Witts has been injured and playing VFL to find form and fitness. He will come in any time now - quite likely this very week. Notice that he was named as an emergency v Carlton (that's usually a good hint that senior selection is very close) on the back of fairly unimpressive VFL form, and apparently played his best game of the year so far a day or two later. So he's a very good chance to come in.

The only real worry is that ruckmen battle finding the mobility required to keep up forward pressure. With either Witts or Grundy forward, we lose a bit of chase and tackle power. On the other hand, we gain marking power (something neither White nor Gault have shown much of this year) and being very big lads, when they do sink a tackle, the unfortunate on the end of it barely knows what hit him. On the whole, it's a worthwhile tradeoff.

I reckon he will come in v Geelong, but don't stress, his time will certainly come.

"Don't panic, don't panic!" Loved that clip. I'm not really panicking, just a bit bored and thought i'd stir the pot and see what people thought of Witts' current position. In truth, I have complete faith in our football department to manage Witts and the team successfully. Guess I'm just a little impatient because I see so much more upside with Witts than either White or Gault.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:17 am

inxs88 wrote:
I reckon we need to give Grundy a rest every 5 weeks and have Witts in for Gault, J White to the wing and Reid at CHF. The likely abolition of the sub next year should facilitate the playing of both in years to come!!

In a perfect world, barring even further injury, this might eventuate.
Scheduled resting of the rucks every few weeks.
i.e. out: "general soreness"

rand corp 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:02 am

In: Witts
Out: Gault
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:09 am

As stated by numerous astute posters. It's about fitness. He needs to be able to run out a full game at AFL Level. Gault or White would be who he replaces and in saying that the Cats are a tall team it could be a tall for a small this week. Also you have to throw in the weather if it's going to be wet. I am happy to be in the situation where we can't find a place in the team as last year I could have got a game in the second half of the season if they had a big enough jumper. Razz

If you want to know how much team selection and balance can affect a team just look at the mob we played last Friday night. They dropped Casbolt to bring in that tall spud Warnock and despite them winning the tapouts they were exposed around the ground as both their ruckman struggled to run out a whole game. Massive Fail. Laughing
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:29 pm

Wittsy will play sooner rather than later, I still would pick him ahead of White, who does ruck duties with Samurai. I just reckon Witts is a better option up forward than Jesse, so big, so hard too outmark one on one.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:37 pm

Yes, playing two bigs in wood and Warnock failed but if you're comparing them to Grundy & Witts, you're comparing two total retards to two up and coming champs
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:39 pm

Is a half Witts better than a full Gault at this time of their careers?

Pity Brad Dick isn't playing, I coulda made something outa that Wink

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:48 pm

Beast wrote:
A half-fit Witts is better than Gault who unfortunately looks like fish out of water at this level. Hopefully Bucks sees it sooner rather than later so we don't run Brodie into the ground.

Gault will be a good player - watch the replays of the last few weeks and you will be surprised at Gault's input.
I would play Gault with Witts and Grundy. Please do not flog Grundy to death this early in his career. He needs more than a chop out.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:56 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Beast wrote:
A half-fit Witts is better than Gault who unfortunately looks like fish out of water at this level. Hopefully Bucks sees it sooner rather than later so we don't run Brodie into the ground.

Gault will be a good player - watch the replays of the last few weeks and you will be surprised at Gault's input.
I would play Gault with Witts and Grundy. Please do not flog Grundy to death this early in his career. He needs more than a chop out.

Basically 4 into 3 doesn't go.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:17 pm

So there goes White.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:39 pm

Gault has to stay in, we need to get games into him and he needs to learn, Cloke is closer to the end of his career than the start.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:44 pm

Witts is still building fitness - he'll play soon. He'll play as a leading FF (instead of Gault or White) when he's ready and chop out Grundy in the ruck, but for longer and better quality than Gault or White do. He'll do that until Gault or White reliably kick bags of goals in teh VFL, then we'll have a selection dilema.

But he wont be picked til he's fully fit - which might be this weekend. I'd love him to work on his forward play and particularly marks on the lead, he'd be very tough to stop and mobile enough at ground level to cause the big blokes problems. Think Paul Salmon...

- Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: