Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Witts end?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:10 pm
Post subject: Witts end?Reply with quote

Witts has been playing well in the ruck in the ressies for a few weeks now, so what does he have to do to get a game in the seniors? He finished last season as our preferred first ruck, but now seems to have fallen down the pecking order. Admittedly this is largely due to Grundy's good form, as much as anything else. However, in my mind neither White nor Gault have done much these past couple of weeks, so how bad do they have to play before one of them is dropped to make way for Witts? Unless we start playing both Grundy and Witts soon, I fear Witts may seek a trade to another club at season's end, in order to play regular senior footy. Remember, we're talking about a player who has virtually been with us for 5 years already.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps. Don't worry I will remember.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:18 pm

Witts suffered an injury in the preseason and is behind fitness with the other players in the side. That's the only reason he's not getting a game. No panic and I don't think anyone at the club is contemplating clearing Witts at the end of the season. The reason that Gault and White are getting a game is that it suits the structure of the side. Gault is more mobile than Witts so that's why he's in the side and White is playing as the second or third tall forward, which is a role that Witts can't play.
VicParkTragic 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:18 pm

Witts and Grundy can play in the same team. Notice Grundy playing forward for a bit last week? It'll happen soon.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:26 pm

No need to panic. Carlton received quite a bit of criticism for playing Warnock and Woods on the weekend. Didn't work too well when we played Witts and Grundy together last season.

But your observations about Gault/White are fair. Waiting for Reid to return to push one of them back to the reserves.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:28 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
The reason that Gault and White are getting a game is that it suits the structure of the side. Gault is more mobile than Witts so that's why he's in the side and White is playing as the second or third tall forward, which is a role that Witts can't play.

So on that reckoning, our current structure provides no room for Witts, since we can't possibly play Grundy, Witts, White and Gault. The bottom line is that Witts has more upside to him than White or Gault so should soon be picked ahead of one or both of them. If he is only being left out because of concerns over his fitness, then fair enough, but he's looked fit enough for the past 3 weeks imo. Ultimately I trust our coaching panel to know what's best for the team, but I'm just a bit concerned that Witts may soon start to feel undervalued if White and Gault keep getting picked ahead of him.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:29 pm

doubt witts is going anywhere. that's a bit of a leap to make.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:32 pm

" Witts end " Love it R B. Sure you arent with the herald sun ??

Wouldnt worry about Witts just yet. When they give the sub rule the flick at the end of the year, its likely to help the cause of the second ruckman back into the team anyway.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:35 pm

I'm sure the club view Witts and Grundy as critically important players in the quest for our next flag.

Talk by some of Witts being used as trade bait around the traps is utterly bizarre.

If they both continue to improve as ruck men as well as forwards then they should prove to be one hell of a headache for the opposition in the years to come.

Witts every chance to be back this week.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:45 pm

I wouldn't panic just yet. We're winning, Gault is getting some senior experience and Witts is getting to build some fitness in the VFL. Good to have options.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:48 pm

Witts, White, and Gault all bring something different and I think we'll play 2 of the 3 more often than not. My preferred option would be Witts and 1 of White or Gault. I think Witts disrupted preseason the only reason we aren't seeing that. And of course the selectors can afford to be conservative when the team is winning.
Kosh 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:54 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
The reason that Gault and White are getting a game is that it suits the structure of the side. Gault is more mobile than Witts so that's why he's in the side and White is playing as the second or third tall forward, which is a role that Witts can't play.

So on that reckoning, our current structure provides no room for Witts, since we can't possibly play Grundy, Witts, White and Gault. The bottom line is that Witts has more upside to him than White or Gault so should soon be picked ahead of one or both of them. If he is only being left out because of concerns over his fitness, then fair enough, but he's looked fit enough for the past 3 weeks imo. Ultimately I trust our coaching panel to know what's best for the team, but I'm just a bit concerned that Witts may soon start to feel undervalued if White and Gault keep getting picked ahead of him.

Witts is still coming up to full fitness. The game against Footscray was the first game where he looked like senior footballer. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes up this week as Geelong has a lot of talls, but before now he hasn't really deserved a place.

I am as keen as anyone to get him into the side as I think that Reg is going to be a power forward who rucks a bit, in the future, but he has to demand a place.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:57 pm

Calm down, Rudeboy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6wok7g7do

Witts has been injured and playing VFL to find form and fitness. He will come in any time now - quite likely this very week. Notice that he was named as an emergency v Carlton (that's usually a good hint that senior selection is very close) on the back of fairly unimpressive VFL form, and apparently played his best game of the year so far a day or two later. So he's a very good chance to come in.

The only real worry is that ruckmen battle finding the mobility required to keep up forward pressure. With either Witts or Grundy forward, we lose a bit of chase and tackle power. On the other hand, we gain marking power (something neither White nor Gault have shown much of this year) and being very big lads, when they do sink a tackle, the unfortunate on the end of it barely knows what hit him. On the whole, it's a worthwhile tradeoff.

I reckon he will come in v Geelong, but don't stress, his time will certainly come.

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:02 pm

I thought Witts VFL game on Saturday was his best so far of the three I have seen. He is still learning and I don't expect him to take control of AFL games just yet.

I am a big believer in Grundy. That is not to take anything away from Wittsy. Grundy has to me had something really special from his first VFL game. He can and will be a dangerous forward eventually. He is going to be an out and out star.

Wittsy will get games soon as Grundy can't carry our rucks every week. Wittsy needs to attack his marks more and he will become more dangerous around the ground and up forward. When both of these guys develop the last part of their game, taking marks around the ground and up forward then they will be playing together every week.

Beast 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:12 pm

A half-fit Witts is better than Gault who unfortunately looks like fish out of water at this level. Hopefully Bucks sees it sooner rather than later so we don't run Brodie into the ground.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7   

Jump to: