Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The DILLIGAF File

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's ok I know you don't give a ****
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:29 am

think positive wrote:
And all I could think was, next time I read on Nicks that a pedophile needs our understanding or sympathy, I will have a total meltdown.

Should we get it out of the way now, then? Razz

In all seriousness, I'm sorry that you feel that way. You shouldn't be made to feel stupid, and belittling or bullying posting has no place here. As a moderator, I'm acutely aware that it's my responsibility to keep that in check, and all I can say is that I'll keep trying my best to do so.

Having said that, it's not a one-way street: you ought to offer the same tolerance to others that you expect yourself, and that means being willing to share this space with people who write like they've swallowed a thesaurus or, as you say, done a few bong hits at a uni dorm get together.

This place has had its ups and downs, but honestly, in the decade or more that I've posted here, I've seen it in a much, much nastier and more uncharitable state than it is in now. Posters come and go, and so do the board's dynamics. To some extent, you have to take it or leave it. I hope you'll enjoy it more in future.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:31 am

There is an unpleasant vibe and it tends to surface when someone has their views challenged and then chooses to get either passive aggressive, arrogant, condescending or even outright nasty. Trouble for mods is only the last is actionable and the rest just chases people off.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:49 am

Wokko wrote:
There is an unpleasant vibe and it tends to surface when someone has their views challenged and then chooses to get either passive aggressive, arrogant, condescending or even outright nasty. Trouble for mods is only the last is actionable and the rest just chases people off.

Yes, the unjustified, armchair bullying of minorities and pontificating over the lives of others is infamous for chasing people out of communities the world over. Such is the menace of ignorance and intolerance of diversity.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:56 am

pietillidie wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Yes, the unjustified, armchair bullying of minorities and pontificating over the lives of others is infamous for chasing people out of communities the world over. Such is the menace of ignorance and intolerance of diversity.

Exhibit A. The prosecution rests your honour.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:14 am

Wokko wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Exhibit A. The prosecution rests your honour.

I'm afraid there is no prosecution.

As for my statement, which part of this doesn't ring true to you?

pietillidie wrote:

Have you not seen social ostracism drive people out of communities before?

And, even if you take the implication of that comment to be directed at you personally, there's not much you can do about the views of others on Nick's beyond a certain point—your imagined court case notwithstanding.

Beyond the realms of persuasion and even heated argument, you can't force people to abide by a certain approved perception of your person, let alone each and every one of your opinions and behaviours.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:16 am

We all take it personally because you mean it personally, we ain't really as stupid as you give us credit for.

And it's not even funny that wokkos words were the exact words I thought as I read your little passage. It's not that everyone else around you has an inferiority complex, it's you and your superiority complex. Can be lonely at the top when you run out of people to argue with

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:30 am

Sad

Last edited by think positive on Sat May 30, 2015 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:10 am

And so on it goes, until you realise you simply can't have everything in social life personally tailored to your every desire: You can't force people into liking everything about you; you can't force people into agreeing with everything you say; you can't force people to not take exception to certain things you say; you can't force people to speak to you in your preferred tone; you can't expect everyone to abide by your preferred hierarchy of values; you can't send everyone you don't like away; you can't avoid everyone you don't like; you can't raise the mob against everyone you dislike; you can't create special rules for yourself without damaging the whole; and so on.

Such is social life; it's the same challenge for us all, I would've thought.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:53 pm

think positive wrote:
In all honesty I dont know how to fix it. When the bullying and insults are hidden behind syrupy "I'm only joking" lines, what can a mod do? For the most part though, the heated replies when someone has had enough of it, is in good old Aussie speak, and that gets deleted so fast your head spins. Yeah I guess that's a good thing, but the only way to shut down a bully, is call them out, or walk away.

I've also copped it a lot because I stick up for others.

As for me being more tolerant to others point of view, well more than a lot here, my views are pliable. My thinking is certainly different on certain subjects than it was previously. I seriously can't remember too many times where I've said outright 'your wrong" or 'no you fool" but I've certainly copped more than my fair share.

You'll also note I'm not the only person saying this.

And I honestly do give a ****. This was a fun place to talk about things, have a joke, now everything gets turned into a lecture, not a conversation.

It's not just about being tolerant of other views; you have to be able to be tolerant of other personalities and of other ways of communication. And yes, to an extent, that means gritting your teeth and pushing past it when you feel like someone is talking to you in a condescending way (as you and others have to me on many occasions over the years).

Intolerance of diverse personalities is where bullying begins, and as a moderator, I'm always trying my best to keep an eye on those dynamics and step in where necessary. Beyond that, you have to take the good with the bad and do your best to treat others the way you would like to be treated.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:40 pm

Razz

Last edited by think positive on Sat May 30, 2015 6:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:17 pm

California
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:48 pm

pietillidie wrote:

And, even if you take the implication of that comment to be directed at you personally, there's not much you can do about the views of others on Nick's beyond a certain point—your imagined court case notwithstanding.

Beyond the realms of persuasion and even heated argument, you can't force people to abide by a certain approved perception of your person, let alone each and every one of your opinions and behaviours.

pietillidie wrote:
And so on it goes, until you realise you simply can't have everything in social life personally tailored to your every desire: You can't force people into liking everything about you; you can't force people into agreeing with everything you say; you can't force people to not take exception to certain things you say; you can't force people to speak to you in your preferred tone; you can't expect everyone to abide by your preferred hierarchy of values; you can't send everyone you don't like away; you can't avoid everyone you don't like; you can't raise the mob against everyone you dislike; you can't create special rules for yourself without damaging the whole; and so on.

Such is social life; it's the same challenge for us all, I would've thought.

Both of these quotes are true and correct.

Although alternatively, it's probably not that hard to just stop going out of your way to be a dick........

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:49 pm

think positive wrote:
Bullshit David, I am tolerant, I should not have to grit my teeth and put up with bullying. im not the one doing the bullying. I snap back when attacked. where is your "tolerance of other personalities and ways of communication?"

How come you get to pick and choose what your tolerant of?

As for me being condescending to you,yeah lets look in that window, works both ways
I feel like I'm being umpired by no. 17

Are you so sure about that? You've certainly been far from the worst, but there have been instances of you participating in what is, if not bullying behaviour, not far off it.

Take a look at this and see if any of the behavioural patterns it describes seem like anything that's been occurring here lately:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobbing

I should note that I haven't seen any such behaviour directed at you on here—at least, not for a very long time—so I'm not sure what grounds you have for claims of being bullied.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:58 pm

^

Or I for example could just decide that I'm not going to go into the threads full of so called serious debate and just leave them to those who enjoy that sort of thing. Just like I'd choose to walk away from a boring conversation in a bar and go join a more light hearted one.

I have to actually use my brain at work, I don't come here for intellectual stimulation I come here to relax and have some banter. If it keeps going the way it's going and I find I can't even go to the light hearted threads without being challenged by the thought police or condescended to by phucktards determined to stroke their own ego by putting others down, I'll just do what others have done. Leave. Too easy, and IDGAF either way. Lifes too short to tolerate some things.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12   

Jump to: