Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nathan Buckley moulds Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame the coach for our kicking woes.

How could you?

Bucks was one of the best kicks and trainers ever and you can be damn sure he'd be well aware of the importance of the skill and be trying to improve it on the training track.

I think it must be simply a case of having to many average kicks on our list at the one stage who are good enough in other areas to be considered best 22 or close to while our game plan under Buckley probably can't mask the deficiencies like Mick's kicking down the line one did.

I feel we have put more emphasis on drafting players with better foot skills the last few years but it's going to take time for the flow on affect to be seen within the side at AFL level.

MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Ten years later, John Ralph will write an article titled "How did Bucks win 3 premierships in the last decade".
datwhitey 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:40 pm

MagpiesTheGreat wrote:
Ten years later, John Ralph will write an article titled "How did Bucks win 3 premierships in the last decade".

Another negative post; that should read ..."5 premierships in the last decade!" Sheesh...
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:40 pm

MagpieMad wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
We have to see inconsistent kickers improve and those with deeply flawed techniques and sub 60% disposal efficiencies eased out for those with elite kicking credentials. As they say "you cannot polish a turd"!
so you would have "eased out" Ben Johnson? he was the NATO king and turned into a very good kick.

There are pleasing exceptions to every rule MM, case by case basis is generally the way to go.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:42 pm

2010 - dodgy kicks

Cloke, L.Brown, Dawes, Wellingham, Toovey, Ball, Maxwell, Swan, BJ (was improving every year) and arguably Shaw. Did I miss anyone?

Leave it, It's Billy E's 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:37 pm

This side will really suprise us this year. However i believe the collective tank needed to get through is still 1-2 years away. (happy to be proven wrong!) So if we fade at the end i wont be suprised, but if we get through without to many more (or Moore) injuries then we might be able to rely on rotations in selection for obviously tired players...
Interesting times ahead..

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:38 am

droversdog65 wrote:
MagpieMad wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
We have to see inconsistent kickers improve and those with deeply flawed techniques and sub 60% disposal efficiencies eased out for those with elite kicking credentials. As they say "you cannot polish a turd"!
so you would have "eased out" Ben Johnson? he was the NATO king and turned into a very good kick.

There are pleasing exceptions to every rule MM, case by case basis is generally the way to go.
the same goes for Swanny, remember the days when they used to say "so what if he gets 30 touches, he doesn't hurt you by foot"?
You could say the same thing for the whole 09/10 squad, we where very ordinary, which in part was why we used the boundary so much, then it "clicked" and the game plan was good and our disposals where elite.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:22 am

Agreed MM there's certainly more ways of skinning a cat than with an army surplus bayonet. MM has a skill in getting lesser talents to 'buy in', thereby putting them under obligation to him for their spots - it's not a go at Mick - just an observation of his methods.

T shirt Tom had a similar way, look at what he did to our wooden spoon side - took over and at the end of the very next year had them within one point of a flag.

You can't beat buy in from the playing group and it appears as this group has done that, it's simply a case of building that from here.

The return of Reid, inclusion of Shazza and Freeman will see a further increase in ball usage class so the way up appears assured.

Just a question of how quick.

Last edited by droversdog65 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:52 pm

I'm sure Bucks knows the kicking skills are lacking. We have recruited plenty of kids with renowned kicking skills in the last three years. We have barely benefited as yet due to injuries and them not being ready. We have the same amount of left footers on our list now as Hawthorn (equal most in AFL along qith St.Kilda- Pelchen anyone?). I'm sure we can turn the current clanger rate around over the next two years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: