Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nathan Buckley moulds Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:00 pm
Post subject: Nathan Buckley moulds CollingwoodReply with quote

Thought I'd share this article from tonight's Courier Mail. I make no secret of my admiration for Nathan Buckley. Dog whistling the haters. Very Happy

Nathan Buckley has now moulded Collingwood into his team after Anzac Day victory
by John Ralph

A PICTURE captures such a specific moment in time that it can deceive and distort.
Or it can strike to the heart in a way thousands of words cannot.
Surely Wayne Ludbey’s glimpse into the Collingwood rooms after their Anzac Day triumph speaks of a significant moment in the life of a footy club.
There is Nathan Buckley, dragging his his players aside into a quiet corner to remind them of the magnitude of their victory.

Buckley, so scrutinised by media and polarising to Collingwood fans, reinforcing to his players that they can take down anyone in the biggest stage.
And therein lies the rub: his 22 players, his playing list, his club.

When Buckley took over this was still Malthouse’s team right down to the rumours of petitions to keep the premiership coach at the club.
Yet just four games short of 50 matches in charge, it seems for the first time this is Buckley’s list.

We smashed their direction over the summer, bemoaned the loss of their stars, wondered if Buckley was long for this coaching world.
There are now only a dozen players on the list who played for Mick, and with Malthouse loyalists Dayne Beams and Heritier Lumumba following the Brat Pack the new breed is putty in Buckley’s hands.
Even when the kids came with him last year there were spats with Lumumba, and Beams talking of only a “working relationship” with his coach.

We don’t know if the Pies upward swing will continue all year, and apart from Saturday’s mighty win they have beaten only St Kilda and Brisbane.
But at a time when Richmond’ Damien Hardwick is under the pump for his inability to coerce full effort from his side, every Collingwood fan is at least content on that score.

As Mick and Bucks prepare to battle again — the pair not enemies but certainly not close friends — the baton has finally been passed.
Think Jack Frost playing ever game at full back last year, or Tom Langdon becoming as a fan favourite, or Taylor Adams emerging as a Luke Ball clone, or Jack Crisp getting it done as a tagger.
T
alking to Frost and Jamie Elliott and Brodie Grundy in the rooms post-match there was a sense of a team united, a feeling not necessarily evident these past three years.

Just as Chris Scott is sick of talk of the club’s premiership era, the only path for Collingwood is to look ahead rather than reflect on the jettisoning of so much established talent.

All of the new breed have only ever know Buckley’s methods, where once the constant reference point was to a more successful time pre-Buckley.
Finally he has emotional touchstones like that Anzac Day win to share with his players, as Malthouse has flags and backs-to-the-wall finals triumphs.
Look at that picture again — at a playing list engaged with his message, aware of their possibilities, onboard for the journey ahead.

Buckley’s decision to accept a weekly invitation on AFL360 each weekend has been inspired.

In the past Buckley’s On The Couch appearances on Fox Footy started with him leaning back in his chair with that impassive stare, seemingly determined to keep the club’s secrets locked behind closed doors.
Now he is just Bucks as his friends and family know him, providing insight and honesty in a more relaxed and disarming setting.

When you don’t have anything to hide you can’t stuff up your messages.
Buckley would be aware of the fickle fortune of coaching — as Richmond hero Hardwick, who five games after that nine-match win streak is suddenly under the pump.

But at least when he sits in the coaches box on Friday night, it won’t be with Malthouse’s ghost perched on his shoulder.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

buckley's brigade, like what i wrote about the other day.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:37 pm

let's hope he does. there is that tantalizing record left - the next Collingwood player to coach Collingwood to a flag, after Alphonse Kyne.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:39 pm

Where specifically, does let's hope he do it?
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:52 pm

This young and exciting team is truly Bucks now, one hundred percent. The old grumpy sod is now a very distant memory.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
iamsam Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:57 pm

4 games short of 50 games? He's coached more than that.
JC Hartley Cancer

16 premierships now in the history books. Let's be the first club to 17 premierships.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:53 am

iamsam wrote:
4 games short of 50 games? He's coached more than that.
He has coached 74 games for 45 wins & 29 losses.
JC Hartley Cancer

16 premierships now in the history books. Let's be the first club to 17 premierships.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:56 am

What Ralphy should have published was the wins coached by Buckley, not games. Ralphy stated four, which is inadequate as Nathan needs five wins. The earliest that Bucks can win his 50th game as coach would be in Round 9 against North Melbourne.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:02 am

The skills are still not up to standard… but that should be expected with such a young list.

What I value more at this stage is the endeavour and this year our intensity has been very good for most quarters.

The end of last year was horrible because we just didn't apply any pressure to the opposition - this has been reversed and our games style is emerging. High pressure with a lot of contested footy. This could get a young team into the finals and could see a team - like the 2002 Pies go a long way beyond their skillset.

The skills can be developed and skilful players added but i value the intensity from the team. I think Bux does too and that is why this team is starting to finally look like Buckley's team!

Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:20 am

I'm a Buckley fan too, loving his Monday night slot with Roosy on 360. Could listen to the man talk about footy all day. I do wish though we had a few that could kick as half as good as the man himself. If only Reidy and Scharenberg were playing, please this year.

Gee he must get sick of articles and questions about Buckley's team though.

Cheers

DK

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:10 pm

Bucks2014 wrote:
I'm a Buckley fan too, loving his Monday night slot with Roosy on 360. Could listen to the man talk about footy all day.

Agree!

I thoroughly enjoyed the discussion between Bomber and Roos last year on AFL 360 and am massivley disappointed that I cannot afford Foxtel this year.

Whenever Bucks is interviewed at length or involved in meaty discussions, I am always so impressed by his logical, insightful and wise comments, not only about football, but life in general.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:08 pm

You can see part of Buckley's appearance on AFL 360 every week on the club website.

DTM or someone else might be able to help you in regards to seeing more.

Buckley has always been an excellent speaker when dealing with the media but this show is allowing more personality to shine through.

Captain_MyCaptain Leo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:27 pm

We currently sit 3rd on the ladder. Buck's immediate challenge is to stay there. That's the message he needs to get across to the players. If he can deliver on that then he is truly on the right track.

SIDE BY SIDE.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:41 pm

We have to see inconsistent kickers improve and those with deeply flawed techniques and sub 60% disposal efficiencies eased out for those with elite kicking credentials. As they say "you cannot polish a turd"!
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:49 pm

inxs88 wrote:
We have to see inconsistent kickers improve and those with deeply flawed techniques and sub 60% disposal efficiencies eased out for those with elite kicking credentials. As they say "you cannot polish a turd"!
so you would have "eased out" Ben Johnson? he was the NATO king and turned into a very good kick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: