Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 3 - Collingwood vs Footscray at Victoria Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Overall, I enjoyed the game. The limitations of the VFL team are that we have to balance whats available with trying to develop kids. I'd love us to get a big old key forward who can just sit there and be a big body and let us teach the kids around him. Sort of like Huddo in the ruck.

I would've preferred we rookie list a state league key forward like Brett Eddy, who would be an automatic starter and would mean that Still plays a secondary forward role instead of having to be the main man. Opportunity lost there in my opinion...

Even so, the two blokes we are missing at this level are Karnezis and (reach for the Jerry Seinfeld-with-a cigar GIF, stui) your boy Gault. Now of course, good on them for cracking senior berths, but with a fully fit list, there would at least be a little bit more competition for a spot and both would be as likely as not to be playing VFL football. PK would obviously play more in the midfield, but he can still rotate forward and provide a target, while Corey will at least compete well (a point which I think is a little bit lost on some who look at his thin stat sheet in the seniors).

Quinten Lynch's retirement is being felt a little bit in this area, I feel...

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:08 am

I've fired up the Bat signal.

Eagerly awaiting a player review by the masked crusader.

P.S-Did Marsh just produce a couple of howlers otherwise his kicking was adequate?

All reports have been he has improved his disposal this season.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:14 am

^^^ Most of his kicking was good and some of it extremely long. Occasionally he shanks one and he did put one OOTF badly in the last quarter. I actually thought his disposal overall was much better if not yet quite solid. And he certainly stopped what looked to be an overwhelming Footscray team in its tracks for the last 20 minutes of the game. Really, he could be anything and he is coming along in leaps and bounds.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:18 am

swoop42 wrote:

P.S-Did Marsh just produce a couple of howlers otherwise his kicking was adequate?

Marsh's kicking was his usual standard - some perfect drop punts one minute, some ugly spiral torpedos the next. I made the joke at the game that Marsh doesn't decide to kick a torpedo, but that he just naturally kicks like that anyway. Even over short distances...Shocked

It is a bit of an improvement on last year's standard, where he just couldn't buy an effective kick with a fist full of fivers, but he still has a fair ways to go before you can rely on him more often than not. If we could somehow surgically graft Oxley's boot onto Marsh's body, we would almost have the perfect weapon down back...

And FYI, it's caped crusader, not masked. Get it right next time, there's a good chap. Smile

Report currently being written, but might finish it tomorrow morning. Absolutely knackered from a long day on not much sleep. See how I go...

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:47 am

MagpieBat wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Marsh's kicking was his usual standard - some perfect drop punts one minute, some ugly spiral torpedos the next. I made the joke at the game that Marsh doesn't decide to kick a torpedo, but that he just naturally kicks like that anyway. Even over short distances...Shocked

It is a bit of an improvement on last year's standard, where he just couldn't buy an effective kick with a fist full of fivers, but he still has a fair ways to go before you can rely on him more often than not. If we could somehow surgically graft Oxley's boot onto Marsh's body, we would almost have the perfect weapon down back...

And FYI, it's caped crusader, not masked. Get it right next time, there's a good chap. Smile

Report currently being written, but might finish it tomorrow morning. Absolutely knackered from a long day on not much sleep. See how I go...

Caped, masked whatever.

Either way he's just really into B&D.

Superman is gonna kick his arse. Razz

Then whip it. Laughing

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:06 am

swoop42 wrote:

Caped, masked whatever.

Then whip it. Laughing

Incorrect.

If you don't believe me, you obviously have never seen The Dark Knight Returns. A shame...

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:09 am

On the March wrote:
So how do we get De Goey in the side? Very Happy

One of these...

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:22 am

A fantastic victory by the VFL side and an important one considering we would be 0-3 and the players would have hurt from that loss since we were six goals in front at the start of the match.

From what I can gather De Goey, Witts and Marsh were the standouts today. Some might disagree but I have a feeling Witts will replace Gault next week and I'd love to see De Goey break his way into the senior side as well. Great to hear that Kennedy and Scharenberg got through this game unscathed and I'm keen to see how they perform in the next few games in the reserves.

Anyone know what's going on with Clinton Young now? The guy cannot seem to take a trick on the injury front at the moment and I'm starting to sense that his playing days are numbered as others have forced their way past him to break into the senior side recently.

Overall great commentary MB and thanks to everyone who attended and provided their own insights and opinions into yesterday's match.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:27 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Freeman was OK, but to be honest there's nothing about him that suggests he'll be an A grade player. Hope I'm wrong, but apart from speed he doesn't seen to have much else to offer.

I remember when we drafted Freeman in November 2013 that the biggest talking point about him was his pace and at the time it was something we definitely needed to be addressed so I can see why Hine and his colleagues selected him at pick 10.

There were concerns in some corners that his disposal efficiency wasn't great but his endeavour was first class and his pace was extraordinary for a young player like him so I was happy to have him despite being eager to take Ben Lennon who went to Richmond at pick 12 in the same draft.

I still think there's a lot of upside to Freeman and that we cannot cast too much judgement on the kid considering he barely played last year. I expect to see him play senior football in the second half of the year at some point.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:35 am

Jezza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Freeman was OK, but to be honest there's nothing about him that suggests he'll be an A grade player. Hope I'm wrong, but apart from speed he doesn't seen to have much else to offer.

I remember when we drafted Freeman in November 2013 that the biggest talking point about him was his pace and at the time it was something we definitely needed to be addressed so I can see why Hine and his colleagues selected him at pick 10.

There were concerns in some corners that his disposal efficiency wasn't great but his endeavour was first class and his pace was extraordinary for a young player like him so I was happy to have him despite being eager to take Ben Lennon who went to Richmond at pick 12 in the same draft.

I still think there's a lot of upside to Freeman and that we cannot cast too much judgement on the kid considering he barely played last year. I expect to see him play senior football in the second half of the year at some point.

I agree. Plenty of time for Freeman to make it. Time in the VFL can only assist him to get into the seniors

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:44 am

MagpieBat wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Caped, masked whatever.

Then whip it. Laughing

Incorrect.

If you don't believe me, you obviously have never seen The Dark Knight Returns. A shame...

I see he got to battle a nuclear blasted Superman who then got struck by a kryptonite tipped arrow fired by that quince Queen.

If it wasn't a Batman comic and happened in the real world of Metropolis he'd get his arse kicked.

Wink Laughing

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:49 am

swoop42 wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Caped, masked whatever.

Then whip it. Laughing

Incorrect.

I see he got to battle a nuclear blasted Superman who then got struck by a kryptonite tipped arrow fired by that quince Queen.

If it wasn't a Batman comic and happened in the real world of Metropolis he'd get his arse kicked.

Wink Laughing

Yawn, details.

Razz

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:50 am

Jezza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Well so far Lennon hasn't done much at Richmond so we can breathe easy.

McCarthy might end up being the one that got away but there is still oodles of time for Freeman who's basically 3 VFL games into his career.

We probably needed to take a player of his type at the time so we can't complain with the Hine thinking and given his track record with top 11 (Sidey) picks you'd back in Freeman to come good as the year progresses.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:57 am

1.Alex Fasolo
Started like a house on fire, kicking two goals and taking a ripping contested mark, but faded into the background after that. Was glimpsed on ball occasionally and even a bit at half back later on as well, but really, its not the sort of performance that you could say puts him in the frame again for seniors. And with the senior side in good form at the moment, he better wake up and realise he is not a lock anymore, or hell just become a talented but lazy depth player.

7. Ben Kennedy
Started on the bench, and when he came on (late first/early second quarter), he began very sluggishly, not overly involved in proceedings. Excusable I suppose, having missed a few weeks with a virus (which Broomhead probably has now). Gradually worked his way into things and was a lot busier after half time.

It was the final term though, where he came into his own. His ball winning ability and his class by foot stood out and his ability to get to dangerous spots in the front half was rewarded eventually, al beit by way of free kick (a minor accomplishment in itself given how biased the maggots were), which he duly converted to put it out of their reach.

Will be at this level for a few more weeks to regain fitness, but those writing him off are going way too early.

12. Matthew Scharenberg
Has missed a lot of footy over the past 18 months and, at various times, looked exactly like that. Played three and little bit quarters and started the game from the get-go. Collected a modest amount of the ball and took a few relieving marks in defence. Used the ball very well by foot and had responsibility for kick-ins as well. Really though, it was all about survival for him, so given he seems to have made it through unscathed, he automatically gets a pass mark.

Great to have you back Schara. Rest up and get ready for Geelong and to confront those ghosts as well.

14. Clinton Young
Played the first half, where he did okay, before being subbed out with an injury of some sorts. There are conflicting reports on the forums as to whether it was a hamstring or a wrist. Hope its nothing serious and that he still pulls up for next week. Our mature depth has been wiped out enough as it is.

15. Jarrod Witts
Played as our primary ruck and utterly destroyed Minson in the first half, while also having the better of Campbell as well. Whatever Ash Hansen said to Minson at half time worked, because he pulled his finger out and was a lot more influential after the main break. On balance though, Witts gets the points in this matchup and on Campbell as well, which is just great to see. Also rotated a fair bit with Cox between ruck and deep forward. Kicked a nice goal after splitting a pack but failing to mark and presented well on the lead. Put his hand up. But do you change a winning formula?

17. Jonathan Marsh
Had a very good game. Took the matchup on Jack Redpath again which, barring a fifteen minute patch in the third where Redpath slammed home three goals from four attempts, he won. He actually benefited a lot from how the Dogs played Redpath in this game. Last time, they camped him deep and Redpath was able to just throw Marsh around like a rag-doll. This time, they played Redpath more as a CHF, which allowed Swampy to stay a couple of metres off of him and not get sucked into a 1v1 wrestle.

Even so, there were a few times where that didnt quite pay off; Redpath, for his size and bulk, is pretty quick off the mark and got away from Marsh to mark and goal.

The real gold in Marshs game, though, was in that final quarter, where he and Pendlebury (more on him shortly) literally saved us from losing. He just marked and spoiled everything that came in. And if he couldnt do so, then he followed up at ground level. Admittedly, some of the repeat Inside 50 entries he had to deal with were because of his turnovers and out on the full kicks, but he held up extraordinarily well.

And on that, his kicking, while improved slightly, is still not a work of art. Sometimes he executes a good drop punt, other times he unloads a spiralling mung. The gap between his best and his worst has closed a bit, but he needs a lot more work put into that area of his game before he becomes reliable more often than not. If only we could graft Oxleys silky boot to Marshs body, we might have the perfect weapon in defence

For the moment though, he can take a bow for that final quarter. Without him, we lose. Great stuff, Marshy.

21. Nathan Freeman
To use my dads favourite well-worn phrase, he had a serviceable game. Nothing really that stood out about it. Won his own ball, found some of his own ball, was fed some ball, but just wasnt a standout contributor. You would have been hoping for a couple of glimpses or two going into this game. A speedy run down a wing or a rip-it-out, burst-away, pump-it-deep centre clearance, but no, he was just rather well, unremarkable.

Having said that, what I saw down in Geelong has me comfortably satisfied that he will come good. Would be really useful if he could harness that speed to break the lines, which would add an extra edge to a one-paced VFL midfield.

35. Jordan De Goey
Finished as our leading goal kicker and, in my opinion, our clear best mid. Rotated between the engine room and the forward 50 and wouldve probably finished as our leading disposal winner. For mine, every time he rotated back from the attacking 50 into the centre square, our midfield just looked so much better. His 3 goals also showcased his ability as a forward, both of the marking variety and the opportunist type (his third goal case in point). Probably our most consistent performer for the day, and arguably BoG.

37. Brayden Maynard
Concussed during the first quarter, was subbed out at quarter time and was barely sighted before then. Hope hes okay and pulls up for next week.

38. Matthew Goodyear
Very quiet game. Did he have a run-with role on somebody? Cant have been Hunter, because Ill be stuffed if I saw anyone on him all day as he racked up stats at will. Kicked a nice goal in the first but was otherwise suppressed, to my eye. Like Freeman though, had good pre-season form (particularly against Geelong) and well be looking for that again next week.

41. Brendan Abbott
Had a serviceable game. Best patch was in the second quarter, where he marked everything that came his way across half forward. Managed to find his way up the ground a bit and showed a bit in his want to run and carry the ball before pumping it long. He found De Goey deep forward once or twice like this. Finished with a couple of goals himself, including the clutch goal to put us in front in the final quarter, courtesy of some very good game sense from Cox.

Had a couple of FMD! moments in the last, where his courage and attacking instincts faltered, preferring to pass it off, as well as nuffing one difficult shot for goal. Like the rest of the team though, he did well to keep going until the end when he was out on his feet, especially knowing his pre-season worries.

46. Mason Cox
Pretty good game, actually. For an American with almost no knowledge of the game, he certainly is coming along better than I would have thought. Rotated with Witts between deep forward and first ruck. In the latter, he held his own against a monster in Minson and the more experienced youngster in Campbell and was not shamed.

Finished with 2 goals and took a couple of good marks (one of which was deep forward which he duly converted), but what I really liked were his 1%ers, his 2nd and 3rd efforts after he lost possession or couldnt win a contest.

He certainly has a crack, thats for sure. You could actually almost fault him for being TOO enthusiastic, what with trying to take Mark of the Year on Witts head and all. Found an extra gear in the last to have a couple of influential moments when they were coming for us.

The club would be very pleased with where he is at. And so should we.

From our VFL boys

- Ryan Pendlebury, take a bow. Like Marsh, he was outstanding in that final stanza holding up a besieged defence, which came at the tail end of a pretty good outing from Ryan, possibly his best for the club. Marked and spoiled pretty much what Marsh did not. When the game gets reviewed, his performance should be up near the top of Tappings pat on the back list. Great stuff, Pendles. Scott would be proud.

- Ben Moloney was back to his best at the coalface. Was one who stood up late in the third to try stem the tide that was running against us and was influential at times in the last. Looks so much better in the middle than up forward, which he had to play last year because of our surplus of hard nuts.

- Great to see Jack Hellier back. Not sure what was keeping him out (the little covered patch on his head hints at something unusual) but we certainly missed him over the past few weeks. Seemed to be playing more as a forward than a mid this time (maybe to soak a few more minutes into the kids, round his game a little bit more?) Absolutely loved some of his efforts, such as his huge smother and then scrabbling follow-up tackling in the second quarter (from memory). Look a touch short of a gallop, but hell be better for the run.

- Jake Williams just continues to plug away quietly, almost unnoticed by the opposition, gathering possessions and using them well. Some of his delivery inside 50 was textbook. Probably my favourite of our VFL listers, now that Sir Alex Ferguson has moved on. Rookie list is not beyond him

- Borthwick played really well. Seems to have become a bit of a favourite amongst the VFL coaching staff. Has been playing as our 23rd man the past couple of weeks. Think the maximum number of times a player can do that is three during the season, so it will be interesting to see if he can hold his spot inside the regular 22. On that performance though, hes a definite chance. Kicked a goal, which I missed, because I was answering another posters question. I blame said poster

- Michael Still was alright as our main key forward. Took a couple of nice contested marks, marked well on the lead and slotted a couple of majors. I do think we need to try get Tim Allan into this side in the immediate term, because we looked really short at times, with only Still deep as the one recognised tall. Cox and Witts were not exactly setting the world on fire as marking targets.

Gutsy win, really required something special to hold on against the reigning premiers, who you just knew were going to come at us hard. But that first quarter was just a joy to watch. Havent kept a good VFL team goalless in the first quarter since Round 14 vs Werribee last year.

Finally on the board in 2015. Combined with our smashing of the Scum, this is the best weekend the club has had for quite some time. Soak it in... Smile

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:43 am

the spot on hellier's head is where the club put a chip in. this is why he has been missing the last couple of weeks. he agreed to revolutionary new technology that will allow the club to track him better.

in reality, he is raising funds for leukemia so shaved his head.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14   

Jump to: