Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Top Scientists to Scrutinise Dodgy Global Warming Data

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

And refer to them all as "nutjobs" too hey 😉
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:45 pm

It is always better to give than to receive.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:47 pm

Skids wrote:
And refer to them all as "nutjobs" too hey 😉

Fair enough - see my prior post which I've added below. But the liars and paid hacks, and those who pay them to deceive the public, are the lowest scum of the earth.

pietillidie wrote:
Skids wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

The question for you, Skids, is this: If this one guy you're obsessed with is so bright and insightful, why do the many who are even brighter and hold even more prestigious positions than him think he's wrong? Are they secretly jealous of him? Is it part of a vast global conspiracy?

You seem to be approaching this as if it's a Hollywood script where the lone, unfashionable, outcast geek is overlooked, but manages to outwit the world and save the day. Are you sure that's not a personal projection of some kind?

Very funny. No, I just think he's pretty knowledgeable on the subject and am continually amazed at how the 'experts' on here are quick to dismiss an alternate view as that of a "nutjob"

http://nsstc.uah.edu/users/john.christy/about.html

That's a fair criticism, I shouldn't have called Christy a loon, just a motivated contrarian.

But you are being deceptive again because you continually mix this one interesting guy in with paid hacks, deceptive PR campaigns, and rubbish PR-level content, such as the obviously deceitful nonsense last night leading to this very thread. And you repeatedly give the impression that this one lone genius overrides the hundreds of other experts whom you never mention, but whom disagree with him—many whom are far more decorated scientists than him.

At the same time, Christie allows himself to be associated with the likes of Heartland, who are huge public deceivers and misinformers, and that goes to his own psychology and credibility substantially (as did his very dubious US Congress testimony on behalf of the worst Republican loons). But beyond that, being a motivated contrarian for whatever reason is no crime, so fair enough, I shouldn't have called him a loon.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:27 pm

I missed that post before I posted PTID.

To me (and about half the population) the whole global warming scare campaign is just that, a scare campaign.

I don't dispute that the climate is changing, it's been changing ever since this 3rd rock from the Sun evolved. There's been at least 5 ice ages, the most recent one, which still continues today, began 3 million years ago. Currently we are in a warm interglacial that began 11000 yrs ago. (source : Utah geological survey). We've also had 3 different types of atmosphere over the last 4 or 5 billion years, what's to say there won't be a 4th and fifth? Do people really believe we can 'control' the Earths climate and atmosphere?

Sure, lets continue with renewable energy sources, I think that's fantastic, lets recycle and clean up after ourselves. But we 'aint going to be able to alter evolution, sorry.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Looks like Dr David Evans has some enlightening news on the fairytale of Global Warming..... An article by Miranda Devine on the Perth Now site makes for interesting reading.

Can someone post the link on here please? I'm on my phone up at work and don't know how to do that on this thing. ☺

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:00 pm

Not really sure why I'm helping, lol. But here it is:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/opinion/miranda-devine-perth-electrical-engineers-discovery-will-change-climate-change-debate/story-fnhocuug-1227555674611?sv=c408b33cef164795b9a30e809c6cb8

An electrical engineer, so not even close to being a climate scientist? Completely disagrees with CO2's role in climate fluctuations and instead blames it on solar activity? Rightio...

Seems like this guy has been pushing his theories for a while now. Here's a response from four years ago:

https://www.skepticalscience.com/david-evans-understanding-goes-cold.html

Last edited by David on Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:03 pm

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/mirandadevine/

In before someone bags Miranda and the guy who came up with his new science and ignores whatever he has to say.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:04 pm

Wokko wrote:
http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/mirandadevine/

In before someone bags Miranda and the guy who came up with his new science and ignores whatever he has to say.

edit: ^^ See above.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:14 pm

David wrote:
Seems like this guy has been pushing his theories for a while now. Here's a response from four years ago:

https://www.skepticalscience.com/david-evans-understanding-goes-cold.html

Yeah, old news comprehensively dealt with elsewhere. Another bright time waster.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:06 pm

Those scientists really do need to go back to school.
The laws of thermodynamics clearly state that you cannot keep pumping heat into a closed system and not have the temperature go up!

The deniers seem to be of the opinion that if they believe hard enough, God will have the answer!
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:40 am

Well, that's the first month of the annual cyclone season gone and not the slightest bluster in sight.
Every year we hear the climate change alarmist group spuik on about how we'll be having a worse that ever cyclone season and every year, it never F.ckn happens!

Significant cyclones that have crossed the WA coast;

2014-2015 - 1
13 - 14 - 1
12 - 13 - 6
11 - 12 - 5
10 - 11 - 3
09 - 10 - 2
08 - 09 - 3
07 - 08 - 5
06 - 07 - 7
05 - 06 - 4
04 - 05 - 4

http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/climatology/trends.shtml

You will notice on the graph, the worst years were, the late 60's & early 80's. Yet we heard things like...

As the seas warm, the ocean has more energy available to be converted to tropical cyclone wind. So with increasing sea surface temperatures we can expect to see higher tropical cyclone wind speeds. This has been the case as the wind speeds of the most intense tropical cyclones have been increasing in all ocean basins.

http://theconversation.com/factcheck-is-global-warming-intensifying-cyclones-in-the-pacific-38984

And this...

One potential impact from greenhouse-gas emissions is increasing damage from extreme events. Here, we quantify how climate change may affect tropical cyclone damage. We find that future increases in income are likely to double tropical cyclone damage even without climate change. Climate change is predicted to increase the frequency of high-intensity storms in selected ocean basins depending on the climate model.

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v2/n3/full/nclimate1357.html

Their fear campaign is about as credible as a supplement programme at essenscum.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:25 am

nomadjack wrote:
Skids wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

The question for you, Skids, is this: If this one guy you're obsessed with is so bright and insightful, why do the many who are even brighter and hold even more prestigious positions than him think he's wrong? Are they secretly jealous of him? Is it part of a vast global conspiracy?

You seem to be approaching this as if it's a Hollywood script where the lone, unfashionable, outcast geek is overlooked, but manages to outwit the world and save the day. Are you sure that's not a personal projection of some kind?

Very funny. No, I just think he's pretty knowledgeable on the subject and am continually amazed at how the 'experts' on here are quick to dismiss an alternate view as that of a "nutjob"

http://nsstc.uah.edu/users/john.christy/about.html

And yet you have no problems dismissing the expert opinion of the vast majority of other knowledgeable people working in the field...go figure... Confused

It was the only hole is Skids argument - minor detail Laughing Laughing

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:58 am

Skids, I'm not aware of any reputable, current work predicting more cyclones as a primary consequence. The key change is more extreme cyclones. (Which is exactly what we are seeing worldwide, of course.)

Cyclones get their power from temperature differentials: to form they require a large expanse of warm water. (And also a number of other things- warm water alone isn't enough.) The warmer the water, the more powerful the cyclone.

Notice that cyclones in Eastern Australia are negatively correlated with El Nino events: the worst cyclone years tend to be La Nina years. There is also a correlation between cyclone frequency and the Indian Ocean Dipole (which is positive this year). A positive IOD strongly influences rainfall in southern Australia. This is why we are experiencing a very bad drought in SE Australia at present: it's the nasty combination of a strong El Nino and a positive IOD which has resulted in record bad harvests and empty dams all across Western Victoria (where I live - we are down to tank water now, both dams are bone bloody dry) and much of the rest of the southern and central part of the continent. The relationship between the IOD and cyclone frequency in Western Australia, however, is unclear (at least to me). While the northern Indian Ocean gets hammered by a positive IOD (Bay of Bengal & etc.) I don't know what relationship (if any) this has with cyclone frequency in WA.

According to the experts: "There have been three recent studies producing projections for tropical cyclone changes in the Australian region. Two suggest that there will be no significant change in tropical cyclone numbers off the east coast of Australia to the middle of the 21st century. The third study, based on the CSIRO simulations, shows a significant decrease in tropical cyclone numbers for the Australian region especially off the coastline of Western Australia. The simulations also show more long-lived eastern Australian tropical cyclones although one study showed a decrease in long-lived cyclones off the Western Australian coast."

"Each of the above studies finds a marked increase in the severe Category 3-5 storms. Some also reported a poleward extension of tropical cyclone tracks. "

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:34 pm

Dr John Christy wrote:
"Our ignorance is simply enormous when it comes to the climate system and our understanding is certainly not strong and solid enough to make policy about climate because we don't even know what it's going to do, so how can we make a policy that says 'I want to make the climate do something' when we don't know what makes the climate do what it does?" he asked.

I'm no expert but if a scientist can only explain his reasoning with tortured rhetoric and endless tautologies I'd wonder if he ever moonlighted as Tony Abbott's speech-writer.

On a more scientific level this "study" is calling for a fresh look at the interpretation of certain surface air temperatures, from certain years and from certain sites.
It totally ignores the raw data showing a dramatic (relative) rise in the oceans temperature, the heat sink that is driving the dramatic shifts in climate we are seeing all over the world.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:32 am

Tannin wrote:
Skids, I'm not aware of any reputable, current work predicting more cyclones as a primary consequence. The key change is more extreme cyclones. (Which is exactly what we are seeing worldwide, of course.)

Thanks for that quick education on cyclones and how they'll become more extreme as we plunge into the climate change conundrum.

Lets look at when some of these extremities have occurred then shall we? ...

Strongest Wind Gust

The highest recorded wind gust recorded in the Australian region is 408 km/h at Barrow Island (data courtesy of Chevron) during cyclone Olivia on 10 April 1996. This is a world record for the highest wind gust ever recorded eclipsing the previous record - 372 km/h at Mt Washington Observatory NH, USA on 12 April 1934. A wind gust of 267 km/h was also recorded at Varanus Island during Olivia.

Oh yes, a recording from an island that's been keeping weather records for a massive , what 35 years.... totally extreme!!

Lowest Pressure

The lowest pressure recorded in Western Australia was 905 hPa at North Rankin A gas platform during cyclone Orson on 22-23 April 1989. On the Western Australian mainland the lowest pressure measured was 921 hPa at Onslow in 1961

Highest Rainfall

The maximum rainfall recorded during a Western Australian cyclone was 927 mm in 36 hours (747 mm in 24 hours) at Whim Creek in 1898. La Grange (now Bidyadanga) recorded 616 mm of rain in 72 hours during cyclone Bessie in January 1964 and 532 mm (24 hours) during cyclone Sally in December 1971. Cyclone Joan produced rainfall totals in excess of 600 mm near Tom Price in December 1975.

Globally, the highest rainfall events seem to have occurred at La Reunion in the western Indian Ocean.
12 h: 1144 mm at Foc-Foc (2290 m altitude) in Tropical Cyclone Denise, 7-8 January 1966;
24 h - 1825 mm at Foc-Foc (2290 m altitude), La Reunion during Tropical Cyclone Denise, 7-8 January, 1966;
48 h - 2467 mm at Aurere (940 m altitude), La Reunion on 8-10 April, 1958;
72 h - 3240 mm Grand-Ilet (1150 m altitude), La Reunion during Tropical Cyclone Hyacinthe 24-27 January, 1980.

Highest Sea Waves

There are few accurate recordings of the magnitude of waves generated by cyclones in the Australian region, but examination of damage to the underside of the North Rankin A gas platform following tropical cyclone Orson on 22-23 April 1989 indicated that waves in excess of 20 m had battered the base of the rig.

During a typhoon in the northwest Pacific on 6-7 February, 1933 the USS Ramapo recorded a wave of 34 m. Also in the northwest Pacific, a wave of 25 m was recorded on 26 September, 1935

Tropical Cyclone Extremes

http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/about/extremes.shtml

Yep, since 1920 odd things have been getting extreme, I mean, up until the 60's who could have imagined just how extreme these events could become??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: