Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Top Scientists to Scrutinise Dodgy Global Warming Data

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did [quote] him or her hal but his or her sodding daughter get it cry?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:22 pm

David wrote:
Priests have nothing on bonobos.

Errr... wrong thread? Shocked

It's not just the climate data being fiddled with.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:22 am

pietillidie wrote:
Skids wrote:
Quote - Dr John Christy, professor of atmospheric science and director of the earth system science centre (ESSC) @ the university of Alabama/Huntsville

"Our ignorance is simply enormous when it comes to the climate system and our understanding is certainly not strong and solid enough to make policy about climate because we don't even know what it's going to do, so how can we make a policy that says 'I want to make the climate do something' when we don't know what makes the climate do what it does?" he asked.

However, he noted "there is still a strong belief system, that greenhouse gasses control the climate, and so if that is your belief system, then it doesn't really matter what the evidence shows"

He obviously hasn't heard of the Nicks Bulletin Board climate experts group, they know that global warming is real professor so it must be true! 😂😂😂

You mean one bright social weirdo from Redneckville U. who has devoted his life to getting back at the world because he has mummy issues he doesn't know how to resolve? Is that your new scientific consensus?

Of course he's a nut job, everyone with a different opinion to the NBB masterminds of the universe is a nut job, right?!

The "nutjob" has been awarded the NASA exceptional scientific achievement medal (1991) and AMS special award in 1996 for - developing a global, precise record of Earths temperature from polar orbiting, operational satellites, fundamentally advancing our ability to monitor climate.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:49 am

I'd also add that 'consensus' isn't scientific, it's a "shut up" term from global warming fanatics. Science is not and has never been about consensus of opinion, it is about facts, evidence and the scientific method, exactly what is happening here with the close scrutiny on 'fiddled' data.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:50 am

^The only relevant fact here is that most others who are even more qualified thinks he's wrong!

BTW, Skids, I said he was "bright"; I'm not questioning his intelligence by any means.

But the scientific fact is plenty of bright people have emotional issues which drive them to take wrongheaded positions. That doesn't mean they're not capable, just firing their bullets in neurotic, wasteful anger.

The question for you, Skids, is this: If this one guy you're obsessed with is so bright and insightful, why do the many who are even brighter and hold even more prestigious positions than him think he's wrong? Are they secretly jealous of him? Is it part of a vast global conspiracy?

You seem to be approaching this as if it's a Hollywood script where the lone, unfashionable, outcast geek is overlooked, but manages to outwit the world and save the day. Are you sure that's not a personal projection of some kind?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:57 am

Those lone scientific outcasts like Copernicus and Galileo sure are nutjobs.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:01 am

Wokko wrote:
Those lone scientific outcasts like Copernicus and Galileo sure are nutjobs.

LOL, so that's it? You don't need to know anything, you just calculate how outcast someone is and that's your woman?

But I know someone even smarter, who's even geekier and more outcast than Christie, who completely disagrees with Christie. So which Copernican outcast are you going to support? (And do they sell hats and scarfs in Team Outcast colours?).

By god you say some foolish things.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:21 am

Don't be deliberately obtuse, I was obviously giving famous examples where the crazy, loon dissenting scientists turned out to be right and the vast, orthodox consensus turned out to be very wrong. NOT saying that being a dissenter immediately makes someone right. In science this happens ALL the time, because it takes someone DISPROVING an accepted theory to advance scientific understanding. That's the scientific method.

In 'Climate Science' however, anyone trying to disprove the global warming orthodoxy, you know people trying to do actual science, are finding it almost impossible due to political pressures from warming activists. Sounds a lot like the struggles of science against the Church during the middle ages, because this whole global warming thing has gone beyond rational science and entered the realm of religious fervor.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:29 am

^I'm totally fine with the likes of Christie, despite thinking he's a pain in the bum. My problem is the PR agencies hired to deceive the average person and make Christie and friends look substantial, when he's really an outlier, and they're paid shills for the fossil fuel industry.

Call him an outlier. Call him a bright, interesting guy. Say there has been the odd time in human history where the outlier has been right. But don't pretend like anyone rational ought to bet their house and national policy on such outliers, and don't deceive people into misunderstanding the state of the field.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:35 am

I'm all for dismissing the work of obvious cranks and big business shills out of hand, but I worry sometimes that consensus advocates, in fighting against misinformation, risk taking out a few genuinely interesting dissenters along with them.

It is OK for there to be minority views in science. Actually, it's essential that there are. I don't have anywhere near the expertise to be able to differentiate the time-wasters from the real scientists—what I've read on Bjorn Lomborg, for instance, suggests he could fall into either camp—but I have no doubt that there are people within the scientific community and outside of it who will not tolerate any diversion from the majority view.

I found this article compelling:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/political-science/2015/apr/23/playing-the-ball-not-the-man.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:40 am

^I agree with you, but the most guilty party on that front is the payers of the shills and PR agents who use the outliers to deceive others. You've mostly got the wrong culprit. But I do agree; surely you expect substantial variation in science. But that then has nothing at all to do with policy, which has to be done by consensus.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:49 am

Yep, no argument there. Minority views should be acknowledged as such.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:13 pm

pietillidie wrote:

The question for you, Skids, is this: If this one guy you're obsessed with is so bright and insightful, why do the many who are even brighter and hold even more prestigious positions than him think he's wrong? Are they secretly jealous of him? Is it part of a vast global conspiracy?

You seem to be approaching this as if it's a Hollywood script where the lone, unfashionable, outcast geek is overlooked, but manages to outwit the world and save the day. Are you sure that's not a personal projection of some kind?

Very funny. No, I just think he's pretty knowledgeable on the subject and am continually amazed at how the 'experts' on here are quick to dismiss an alternate view as that of a "nutjob"

http://nsstc.uah.edu/users/john.christy/about.html

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:37 pm

Skids wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Very funny. No, I just think he's pretty knowledgeable on the subject and am continually amazed at how the 'experts' on here are quick to dismiss an alternate view as that of a "nutjob"

And yet you have no problems dismissing the expert opinion of the vast majority of other knowledgeable people working in the field...go figure... Confused
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:43 pm

Skids wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

That's a fair criticism, I shouldn't have called Christy a loon, just a motivated contrarian.

But you are being deceptive again because you continually mix this one interesting guy in with paid hacks, deceptive PR campaigns, and rubbish PR-level content, such as the obviously deceitful nonsense last night leading to this very thread. And you repeatedly give the impression that this one lone genius overrides the hundreds of other experts whom you never mention, but whom disagree with him—many whom are far more decorated scientists than him.

At the same time, Christie allows himself to be associated with the likes of Heartland, who are huge public deceivers and misinformers, and that goes to his own psychology and credibility substantially (as did his very dubious US Congress testimony on behalf of the worst Republican loons). But beyond that, being a motivated contrarian for whatever reason is no crime, so fair enough, I shouldn't have called him a loon.

Last edited by pietillidie on Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: