Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gault

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is a difficult decision. Witts is the far better player and should be playing if ready to go. Playing Gault purely for his development isn't an option. Witts and Grundy are more in need of game time together to develop as a combination and are almost certainly a bigger part of our future than Gault.

And while neither Gault or White were great on Friday night, White was quite a bit better and has shown much more over the season. Still, I wouldn't lose too much sleep if Gault kept his spot over White.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:31 pm

Inky, the one thing that gives me pause about your view is that Witts is still a bit green as regards match practice. I'd like to see him play one more round of VFL, with Gault and White staying in for that extra week.

Against this, for the Geelong game we really need a bit of reinforcement in the tall department - a second genuine ruckman would be a boon. Is the extra height of Witts a worthwhile trade-off against the more current match fitness and greater mobility of the two quasi-tall forwards?

On balance, I reluctantly favour bringing Witts in a week early. Toss a coin between Gault and White for which one stays.

Once Witts gets up to speed again, I expect us to play the two genuine rucks in tandem regularly, with the third tall slot going to whichever of Gault and White is showing more (over time, I expect this to be Gault, but in the short term probably White). Once Reid is fit (if that ever happens) then you'd think he'd take over unless one of Frost or Brown goes down and we need him as a defender.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:55 pm

Sure, if Witt's isn't ready then no need to rush him in. If he is ready we really do need to see how this Grundy/Witts combo can work. They are both excellent ruck prospects but we have yet to see if playing them together will work over an extended period.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:12 pm

Gault hasn't looked like a contested marking threat and Fletcher paid him no respect on Anzac Day because of it.

What will Taylor do to him?

Scary.

Witts needs to come in as he and Grundy alternating between ruck and forward should at least keep the Geelong defenders more accountable.

And then there is the issue of Blicavs an ever improving ruck man with an extraordinary ability to cover the ground.

Grundy has been terrific so far and is great at ground level for a ruck man as well but this is Blicavs greatest strength and coupled with his rucking partner I could see them being able to stretch Grundy for fitness across 4 quarters, negate the advantage he generally gets around the ground and come late in the game get a winning edge.

He's basically carried the ruck load for 5 weeks on his young shoulders and up against this hardened Geelong side I'm afraid he might finally hit the wall.

Witts has had a month of VFL footy now and played his best game so far up against Minson.

He appears ready and with a month of harder opposition to come the time seems right to ease the burden on Grundy and see what he can deliver.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:15 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Witts has had a month of VFL footy now and played his best game so far up against Minson.

Huh? Two games = a month? Or did someone give me a bum steer somewhere along the line? BTW, what was Minson doing playing seconds?

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:59 pm

Witts has played 3 VFL home and away games and at least one VFL practice match against North Ballarat.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:07 am

Well, farnarkle me. Ta.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:18 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
I don't think this is a difficult decision. Witts is the far better player and should be playing if ready to go. Playing Gault purely for his development isn't an option. Witts and Grundy are more in need of game time together to develop as a combination and are almost certainly a bigger part of our future than Gault.

And while neither Gault or White were great on Friday night, White was quite a bit better and has shown much more over the season. Still, I wouldn't lose too much sleep if Gault kept his spot over White.

I agree, Witts is the preferred option but VFL reports were varied about his game and his readiness for senior footy. If he's ready, well and good, if not then its status quo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: