Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gault

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greening gold 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
If Witts and Moore get through unscathed tomorrow and do enough then they should come in for Gault and White who have done precious little the last 2 weeks.

Moore to play forward.

There is a lot to be said for blooding a newbie in a game against Carlton. Exposure to the big games, exposure to the old enemy, and gives extra meaning to winning.
Len Thompson's first game was against Essendon in the 1965 Premliminary Final (also Duncan Wright's last game) and you could argue it was the making of Len. Collingwood has a tradition of throwing kids into the big games - fantastic experience for them and they learn to swim quickly.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:59 pm

If its dry, i would give him another chance. If its wet or slippery, i would play him in the twos. He will hardly find form in the wet and his confidence will take a hammering if he has nothing to show after three games at the top level.

As for broomhead, not quite aure why you would want to drop one of our very best users of the footy. When he is involved, it usually ends in a score. He is also playing midfield in bursts and its not his go just yet. He is automatic for mine.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:01 pm

swoop42 wrote:
jackcass wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
If Witts and Moore get through unscathed tomorrow and do enough then they should come in for Gault and White who have done precious little the last 2 weeks.

Moore to play forward.

I think people sometimes just undervalue some of the work they do that doesn't garner stats. Happy to have both White and Gault in the team at the moment.

They were the weakest links in today's game IMO and winning shouldn't stop sides looking to improve further.

Fletcher was one of Essendon's better players.

Gault didn't exactly bang down the door over summer and doesn't have the runs on the board to escape demotion after 2 quite matches I wouldn't have thought.

It wont hurt him to go back to the VFL and clunk some marks and kick a few.

Here I was thinking we had 22 contributors today, silly me.

You assume that Moore would/could add more, maybe he could. Surely the coaches are better placed to assess that. But who does he displace in defense (given that's where he playing), how will he go taking some of the ruck or do you expect Grundy to just play longer?

Good thing neither of us are on the selection panel then.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:16 pm

Can't see Moore doing any less as a forward than Gault over the last 2 rounds tbh.

Witts would take the role of White/Gault through the ruck and play deep forward.

It's a nonsense IMO to think Moore can't come in and play as that third tall forward given his attributes and experience in playing as a forward at U18 TAC level and championships.

He just needs to compete hard in the air and ground level and use the strengths he has at present which are mobility, competitive attitude and a high level of natural talent.

He wont be lock for the side going forward and will live and die on his output but I can't see a reason why you wouldn't give him an opportunity to see what he can deliver at this early stage of his career ahead of "another young player".

Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:20 pm

I think if Witts is at the stage where he can run out a game, he will take Gault's spot.

As for Moore, I'd love to see him in next week, but there is no hurry.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a pretty ordinary day, so it will be interesting to see how they go in those conditions.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:08 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Can't see Moore doing any less as a forward than Gault over the last 2 rounds tbh.

Witts would take the role of White/Gault through the ruck and play deep forward.

It's a nonsense IMO to think Moore can't come in and play as that third tall forward given his attributes and experience in playing as a forward at U18 TAC level and championships.

He just needs to compete hard in the air and ground level and use the strengths he has at present which are mobility, competitive attitude and a high level of natural talent.

He wont be lock for the side going forward and will live and die on his output but I can't see a reason why you wouldn't give him an opportunity to see what he can deliver at this early stage of his career ahead of "another young player".

I'm not saying Moore can't come in and have an impact forward, I'm saying Gault in his 3rd game, 2 of which have been played in poor conditions for talls, needs to be cut some slack. There is zero evidence Moore would definitely offer more as a forward. I not sure why you so ardently advocate replacing 1 experiment with another when zero 2015 evidence supports it.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Stay the course. Pick him (ie Gault) next week and the week after, then reassess. Less convinced about White, who has had much more time to prove himself. I'd be tempted to replace White with PK.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:17 pm

Zero evidence that Gault should remain though.

The last match Moore and Gault played together in the VFL Moore was one of our best and Gault wasn't.

I don't think he had the form on the board to begin with during the preseason.

Needs to find form at VFL level first then he can get another shot.

Anyway if he plays I'll hope for the best for him but I think Witts at least will come in next week if he gets through tomorrow and puts his hand up.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:20 pm

Doc63 wrote:
I think if Witts is at the stage where he can run out a game, he will take Gault's spot.

As for Moore, I'd love to see him in next week, but there is no hurry.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a pretty ordinary day, so it will be interesting to see how they go in those conditions.

Yep, let's see what tomorrow brings before we start slashing guys out of a winning side.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:25 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Zero evidence that Gault should remain though.

The last match Moore and Gault played together in the VFL Moore was one of our best and Gault wasn't.

I don't think he had the form on the board to begin with during the preseason.

Needs to find form at VFL level first then he can get another shot.

Anyway if he plays I'll hope for the best for him but I think Witts at least will come in next week if he gets through tomorrow and puts his hand up.

According to you. He'd done enough to be selected in the first place and then obviously did enough to be retained. Differences between him and Moore at the moment...

1. Had a full preseason, Moore didn't.
2. Plays forward, Moore has been playing defense and the club is saying he'll stay in defense.
3. He can take a turn in the ruck, Moore doesn't offer that flexibility, at least not yet anyway.
4. Gault has had multiple preseasons to build toward senior footy, Moore hasn't.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:47 pm

Gault was fantastic at getting to the aerial contest deep forward in the third quarter today. He couldn't get into the game in the first half but he worked his way back and was extremely competitive. I think credit should be applied where it's due - it wasn't a day for high marking but he split the packs open when the game was on the line.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:49 pm

Just a postscript - if you look at the Cloke mark in the goal square you will notice two things - first Cloke was one on one, for a change; secondly, Gault used his body to keep Fletcher right away from that contest so that Cloke got the one on one.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:51 pm

Gault 9 possies, 0 marks, 2 hit outs

Last week in a 12 goal victory.

7 possies, 1 mark, 1 hit out, 1 goal.

Hardly compelling form that according to you sees him as a lock.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:52 pm

Keep playing him - he will be a player.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:54 pm

I have Witts come in next week for him or Witts not ready then Moore
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: