Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New Connelly article in the Age.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:11 am
Post subject: New Connelly article in the Age.Reply with quote

Not a bad write up actually with no real puff but a fairly down to earth assessment of the state of play in our club from an outsiders point of view.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwood-coming-on-quicker-than-some-think-20150426-1mthhs.html
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Collingwood army, for its part, seems to have split into two camps, both informed to an extent by the events of four or five years ago.

There's a minority who insist that what was achieved then should still be possible now, the same group who insist that Buckley's Collingwood are an underperformed disappointment treading water. At the other extreme is the much larger band who acknowledge times have changed but are remarkably downbeat about the Pies' prospects in the immediate future.

The truth, as is usually the case in these matters, lies somewhere in between.

i found this bit interesting. i wouldn't have thought the camps were divided as such. rather, i saw most people as (in the minority) understanding we have a young list and just need to be patient but our time will come vs (the majority) we have a list that has poor skills, no game plan and it will amount to very little.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:52 am

JW the naysayers are definitely the minority of supporters but they are very very vocal and absolutely rusted on to Mick for the most part.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:05 am

i don't think much of that is correct.

i am unabashed malthouse fan. i think we have all moved on from the mick era. i don't see or hear of many who continue to yearn for the mick era.

the naysayers are certainly the noisiest and they're very much a fair representation of the prevailing mood. you only have to listen to talkback, read the social media and footy forums. there is very much a common thread to what is being said.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:57 am

I think most Collingwood supporters were rightly very disappointed with our fade-out last year. The last 5-6 games were absolutely horrifying to watch. We had a terrible run run with injuries and a group of kids who just ran out of legs in the end. There wasn't much to be excited about by the year's end was there?

I'm not overly pessimistic by nature, but I thought 8-12 was a realistic position for us in 2015. A regular year on the injury front and the development of talented youngsters was my hope. I think we're on track for that.

There are probably 3 camps right now:
1. The optimists who think we we'll make the 8
2. The majority who hope for a stable developmental year with an Anzac Day victory and wins against Carlton, StKilda and Melbourne
3. The pessimists who are never satisfied. These people are a minority but they have remarkable stamina, loud voices and tiny brains.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:00 am

group 3: the miserati, as someone so eloquently put it in another thread.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:18 am

JW not sure about yearners for mick era - take a trip over to BF and sift through their remarkable 'buckley coaching megathread' with particular attention to a certain poster who I won't name but is notorious over there for his unabashed buckley hate - there are a few others.

To correct any burgeoning suspicion I'm a Mick hater - I have the greatest respect for his coaching prowess and his ability to get the best out of young men finding their way in the game and I'm deeply grateful for the flag.

BUT . . . .

His performance in the final lead up to the finals in '11 utterly lost me, far too childish, selfish and ME, ME, ME !!!!

Anyway lets not get derailed by old wounds.

I am firmly in the second camp but with the proviso that - like in '10 - you can have dark horses come into the team and totally upset the status quo for the better.

Only a miracle could see us sneak into the GF this year - let alone the ultimate but if enough things go right for long enough we have the potential to slip into the finals and possibly win one.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:14 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
I think most Collingwood supporters were rightly very disappointed with our fade-out last year. The last 5-6 games were absolutely horrifying to watch. We had a terrible run run with injuries and a group of kids who just ran out of legs in the end. There wasn't much to be excited about by the year's end was there?

I'm not overly pessimistic by nature, but I thought 8-12 was a realistic position for us in 2015. A regular year on the injury front and the development of talented youngsters was my hope. I think we're on track for that.

2. The majority who hope for a stable developmental year with an Anzac Day victory and wins against Carlton, StKilda and Melbourne
3. The pessimists who are never satisfied. These people are a minority but they have remarkable stamina, loud voices and tiny brains.

Yes the end of last year was horrible, however with a less dramatic injury ridden year I would hope we would make the 8 and still develop our young guys…

What our older blokes bring is an attitude and intensity that the young guys are picking up… this means we are capable of much more than usual 'developing' clubs. Of course our older blokes are also premiership players so they know what it takes to excel!!!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:30 am

yin-YANG wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

Yes the end of last year was horrible, however with a less dramatic injury ridden year I would hope we would make the 8 and still develop our young guys…

What our older blokes bring is an attitude and intensity that the young guys are picking up… this means we are capable of much more than usual 'developing' clubs. Of course our older blokes are also premiership players so they know what it takes to excel!!!

Great posts.

As one who did attend all those nightmares, yeah it was bloody awful! Still proud of those of us who stayed til the end and farewelled Luke Ball the way he deserved.

This year, I really don't know what to expect. I'm already way more than pleasantly surprised. Saw glimpses last year, in the early part. But wow! Way to blow it out the water. Even the game we lost. The pressure, the intensity, the second efforts, the second efforts, the second efforts! I have no idea where we finish up. We still have to play the power houses. But let's not forget the bombers beat the Hawks! It's a strange old season.

Make no mistake, they are Buckleys boys now. He will not accept lack of effort, or 'that's good enough' attitudes. And as long as the boys keep playing with the heart they are now, I don't give a stuff where we finish. You can't ask for more than they can give. The skills will improve as the confidence does. You don't get selected for AFL with zero skills. I'm excited. I'm loving it.

Smells like 2009, I'll take that!

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:35 am

droversdog65 wrote:
JW not sure about yearners for mick era - take a trip over to BF and sift through their remarkable 'buckley coaching megathread' with particular attention to a certain poster who I won't name but is notorious over there for his unabashed buckley hate - there are a few others.

don't really visit bigfooty so wouldn't know what the carry on is. anyway, let's get to the midway point of the season, see how we're faring then. we may experience the odd setback along the way but if we continue to play in the same manner that we have been and it looks like that can be sustained more often than not then i will be more than pleased.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:43 am

John Wren wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

don't really visit bigfooty so wouldn't know what the carry on is. anyway, let's get to the midway point of the season, see how we're faring then. we may experience the odd setback along the way but if we continue to play in the same manner that we have been and it looks like that can be sustained more often than not then i will be more than pleased.

Agreed JW with our horrendous injury run over the last few years I'm just not prepared to say boo concerning finishing positions.

Like many I suspect I will be satisfied with being a genuine finals contender at the end of the season, having blooded enough of the new recruits and seen good solid development in our second tier players.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:03 pm

John Wren wrote:
group 3: the miserati, as someone so eloquently put it in another thread.

Lol! Les Mis! Laughing

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:05 pm

I think we need to be mindful we were traveling well this time last year also before our pressure went bye bye ironically enough in the last quarter against the scum.

We gradually came right back to the pack after that before injuries became terminal late in the season.

Pressure will be the key to any success this season again whilst we look to improve our ball use and players gain experience.

I believe the majority have always been of the belief that we had a good young list in development but doubts arose whether Bucks was the right man to get the best out of that list going forward after a couple of seasons of decline coming shortly after two seasons of our best football ever in 10/11.

I think most were prepared to give Bucks this season to show he was the right man for the job. Premierships or top 4 finishes weren't expected but genuine and obvious signs of improvement were.

As I posted in the Buckley Brigade thread a couple of days back it's taken longer than some of his naive supporters (me) imagined back at the start of season 2012 and the route has been more painful than expected with some premiership players and favourite sons departing for various reasons but after that fabulous victory on Anzac day you sense that perhaps finally we are at the dawn of a new Collingwood era under Buckley where the side can compete in a manner that he has always envisaged.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:30 pm

Swoop it's a team in flux at the moment. There are just enough signs to give us hope for this season but being so very young it's going to sputter and flare along the way.
I expect a tough ride this season with a possible finals appearance IF we can keep enough quality ball users on the park. It's all about injuries and illnesses - who would imagine Ben Ken would go down so badly with illness? And what about Shazza's remarkable recovery from knee surgery?
It's basically impossible to be certain of anything so all we can do is look for reasons to hope, get out there to the game and scream our lungs out for the boys.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:47 pm

We won 11 games last year with a harder draw.

We always had a sneaky chance to make finals this season as I never believed our list was all that bad to begin but the coach just had to start getting them to gel and perform up to there ability.

It looks like it's beginning to happen.

If you take a look we lose Beams but we gain Greenwood, Crisp and De Goey. Greenwood hopefully can still make a mark in the second half of the year.

Maxwell retires Seedsman, Ramsay and Oxley all improve.

Brown returns from injury. Frost is getting better by the week.

Ball is gone Adams steps up. Swan returns to some form.

Lumumba departs we draft Varcoe. Broomhead starts to make his mark.

We lost experience but replaced a lot of it and should expect improvement from the kids.

The only way should be up from here but we won't be alone in doing so with GWS, Dogs, Eagles, Crows and even the Dees looking better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: