Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Draftees: Who's close to selection?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wren wrote:
de goey could be named any time and i am not as enamoured as others are with playing moore so soon.

Agree that De Goey can play when ever selected.

So you are in the Camp that Moore just plays a full season of VFL and dont even try to put him in the AFL. Unless we have a massive Injury Hit down back?

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:10 pm

Agree JW, we've got a couple who could get a senior game if needed but based on the performances at senior level to date who's place do they take. And we already need to get Adams and Witts into the side.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:11 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
John Wren wrote:
de goey could be named any time and i am not as enamoured as others are with playing moore so soon.

So you are in the Camp that Moore just plays a full season of VFL and dont even try to put him in the AFL. Unless we have a massive Injury Hit down back?

yep. i don't see a need to rush him. it is evident he will play many senior games for us.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:25 pm

John Wren wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
John Wren wrote:

yep. i don't see a need to rush him. it is evident he will play many senior games for us.

IF your Good Enough then play them and you can make that case for Moore but the Problem is that he is a KPD at the Moment and Brown and Frost has those 2 Positions Locked In. Though Brown is Injury Prone

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:36 pm

jackcass wrote:
Abbott I just haven't seen other than the intraclub game and he was all at sea in that match.

He was indeed. I was very disappointed in his game that night, but to be fair, he had just got himself fit and was learning about the game plan. Has been quick to pick up the tempo and has shown real glimpses of the player he will become. If he keeps performing as he did on the weekend, he'll play before the year's out.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:41 pm

Fit and in some kind of form, De Goey and Freeman need to be playing. This is a development year and development needs to be a priority. We see Heeney playing and playing well for a contender, there should be no reason why top 10 picks can not force their way into our side, especially considering our injuries in the middle.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:50 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Abbott I just haven't seen other than the intraclub game and he was all at sea in that match.

He was indeed. I was very disappointed in his game that night, but to be fair, he had just got himself fit and was learning about the game plan. Has been quick to pick up the tempo and has shown real glimpses of the player he will become. If he keeps performing as he did on the weekend, he'll play before the year's out.

Yeah, don't doubt his potential just haven't seen it and placed him accordingly.

Really optimistic all of our recent draftees will make it and excited at the prospect. But then again I thought the same about Mooney and Yagmoor.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:59 pm

[quote="jackcass"]
Neil Appleby wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Yeah, don't doubt his potential just haven't seen it and placed him accordingly.

Really optimistic all of our recent draftees will make it and excited at the prospect. But then again I thought the same about Mooney and Yagmoor.[/quote]

But you were often too hard on Yagmoor.

www.facebook/the hybernators
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:17 pm

[quote="3rd degree"][quote="jackcass"]
Neil Appleby wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Really optimistic all of our recent draftees will make it and excited at the prospect. But then again I thought the same about Mooney and Yagmoor.
Quote:

But you were often too hard on Yagmoor.

Question
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:55 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
jackcass wrote:

From Dale Tappings review of last weeks VFL game (FWIW) on the CFC website:

41. Brenden Abbott

Statistics: 4 kicks, 1 mark, 3 handballs, 7 disposals, 0 clearances, 2 inside 50s, 0 rebound 50s, 4 tackles

Dale Tapping says: Brenden played in the forward 50. He competed really strongly and gave us a strong physical presence in the forward half on a difficult day for forwards. He completed well all game. (sic)

The weather in Ballarat would have made him homesick for WA I'd reckon Wink

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:28 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Fit and in some kind of form, De Goey and Freeman need to be playing. This is a development year and development needs to be a priority. We see Heeney playing and playing well for a contender, there should be no reason why top 10 picks can not force their way into our side, especially considering our injuries in the middle.

I agree totally with this sentiment but who do we drop for them is the problem?

Blair at this stage is keeping his spot on the merit of his performance (unlike the last 2 years).
Goldsack has been his usual good average with his main strength still being he can be thrown either end. Elevated to the leadership group and clear coach favourite so hard to see him being dropped.
Dwyer played well last week, is the obvious Sidey replacement until he returns but can he back it up against better opposition week in week out is the query.
Williams and Seedsman both had ordinary first quarters last week but improved in the second half. Seedsman still only has 39 senior games under his belt, is coming back from injury but is clearly seen as an important part of the puzzle because the coach rushed him back into the side. Has genuine talent if he can harness it all.
Williams is still only 21 with 40 games to his name. When in form and confident plays the game in the right spirit with a hard edge and takes his opponent and the game on. With Sinclair going down again hard to see him making way unless his form really drops away.

Then we have a group of young and/or inexperienced players needing exposure at AFL level like Ramsay, Oxley, Langdon, Grundy, Crisp, Karnezis, Gault, Frost and Broomhead who all played against the saints.

If you're Sydney with a much more mature list then it's a no brainer to play such a quality young kid like Heeney.

It also helps that they are such a strong side at present.

The way our list profile is at present is both a blessing and a curse.

We have a multitude of young players already getting an opportunity at senior level but we still have arguably the best of the lot still to come in 4 top 10 draft selections yet to make there mark on the senior team, another quality young ruck is Witts waiting for his next opportunity and a young mid like Kennedy who I have a lot of time for not being able to get a clear run with it in terms of injury or illness.

Throw in 2 or 3 others and it's going to be a really difficult balancing act over this season and next trying to get the mix right between experience and playing the talented youth that will only serve to make us a better side going forward.

Personally I'd be happy to take a hit on experience this season in preference for playing more of our young talent if there form warrants it and don't necessarily see it as a barrier to winning games of football.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:01 pm

Agree Swoop, also think they might be more adventurous at selection if Sidebottom and Greenwood were playing, but while players are doing enough to hold their positions it's hard to see the kids getting gifted opportunities. They just need to keep performing at VFL level and grab the chance when it presents.

Last edited by jackcass on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:42 pm

John Wren wrote:
good assessment jackcass. freeman to me looks a few weeks away from serious afl consideration. de goey could be named any time and i am not as enamoured as others are with playing moore so soon.

i think we'll find abbott spending 2015 in the vfl as a development year. can't see him getting elevated for any games. that's not a bad thing.

must say cox has surprised me. watching him clunk an overhead mark and kick a goal on the weekend was pleasantly surprising. obviously has so much to learn but there is a greater sense he can make it than not.

looking forward to shazza returning.

Cox could be a genuine full forward option.

Apparently he is already able to clunk a mark at the highest point. When you're nearly 7 foot tall, have really good speed off the mark and long arms, all he would need is half decent delivery to be a big goal kicker. Particularly nowdays that backmen can't chop the arms, there is no full back in the league that could spoil him if he can mark the ball on the run with arms at full stretch.

And to the argument about goal kicking, I'm predicting he will be the opposite of the norm. Because he's had to learn the skills late I reckon his set shot kicking will be better than his field kicking.

roar 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:58 pm

Cox is already a better shot for goal than Trav.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:42 pm

DeGoey and Moore are emergencies this week. May not be long before they come it. Seems the club is keen on Moore to play soon and DeGoey already has been exposed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: