Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Duncan Wright and the 'Somerville incident' of 1965

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

applying the "morals" of of today on the "60's" just doesn't work, there was plenty of thuggery from all teams.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:44 pm

Has morality has changed much between then and now?

In 2010 Beth Wilson, the Health Services Commissioner for Victoria, wrote an op-ed piece in the Age headlined 'Footy must stop violence on and off the field'.

Ian Warren of the University of Melbourne presented a paper at the Second National Conference on Violence in 1993 in which he described trends and patterns of violence in Australian rules. In the early period of its evolution, 1859-96, ''participant and spectator violence were common phenomena, and indeed appeared to be closely linked''. He noted that ''niggling'' often got out of control and ''full-scale brawling among players … had to be controlled by local police''. He recalled the 1896 match between North Melbourne and Collingwood in which 2000 spectators, including men with sticks and iron bars, and women with hatpins, tried to attack the umpire and some of the victorious Collingwood players.

So how are things going these days? I went to a country footy match and saw a young player knocked unconscious. He was taken off, probably concussed, but returned soon afterwards. This is dangerous; brains are easily damaged. I said to my friend: ''This club is not looking after its players.'' She replied: ''You just wait.'' I watched as the coach changed position to where the injured player had been and knocked out the assailant. My friend had a different definition of ''looking after'' than I.

Recent sports stories have involved grubby incidents perpetrated by taggers, who try to stop the good players getting the ball by any means. It has been going on for a long time and it's time it was stopped.

We still read of ugly crowd incidents, the papers still publish images of bruised and bloodied players; eye gouging, punches, collisions and worse still dominate the TV sports news. Violent incidents involving drunken and drugged players are still frequent.

http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/footy-must-stop-violence-on-and-off-the-field-20100710-104uc.html
rand corp 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:12 pm

That infamous photo, remember it well as I grew up.

It was indeed a bit like the Greening hit and whilst I believe no one intended to do so much damage to the player, king hitting someone from behind on a sporting field is a dog act plain and simple.

Duncan Wright has had to live with the truth of his actions but I do note I've never seen a Jim O'Dea interview where he talks about the day he nearly killed a bloke because he knew he was better than him.
Colin G Wood 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:35 pm
Post subject: Spot On AssessmentReply with quote

Mossi wrote:
Flashman wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
I was pretty young way back then, but I do recall the incident well, im pretty sure it was also Len Thompsons first game, and he did well. What Wrighty did probably warranted at least 10 weeks suspension, I reckon the club was a bit harsh on him, really. It was nothing compared to what that violent thug Odea did to Greening several years later, pales into insignificance, and that bastard Odea was made a friggin life member by the Saint Vomit Board. everytime we play those tossers, I want us too beat the shit outa them, cos of greening, even last week. !

It was only luck that it wasn't like Greenings incident though. It was a dogs act no matter who Wright played for.

Collingwood and Bobby Rose giving him the boot shows why we are a better club and Bobby was a better person than St Kilda and that prick Allan Jeans for how he/they handled O'Dea.

Big difference O'Dea was premeditated, Jeans had JG marked to be taken out! should have got 10 years both Jeans and O'Dea not 10 weeks! The Wright incidence was just before my time but it looks like a hot head reaction and his time did not fit the crime!

Absolutely agree. I have posted on this issue before. Allan Jeans and his thug executioner were exulted by their club for an assassination. Wright was banished for a heat of the moment action he no doubt regretted. Says a lot about the two clubs. Made victory in 2010 even sweeter.
(Suggest people Google the YouTube video from World of Sport when Peter McKenna who played on that terrible day in 1972 was to later tackle Jeans on the Neville Bruns and Leigh Matthews incident. Macca eluded to Jeans being the coach overseeing these acts of violence)
Flashman 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:57 pm

David wrote:
Flashman wrote:
No real justification for Wright to do that to Somerville though is there?

A niggle is part and parcel of football and he grossly overreacted.

I certainly don't endorse king hits, and agree that there's no justification for such an act. To play devil's advocate, though, should retaliators always be condemned? Consider this story, for instance:

http://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/coventry-suspended/

Was Joe Murdoch's 'niggling' 'just part and parcel of the game'? Or did the provocation cross the line?

In my view, Murdoch's actions were completely unsporting and Coventry's suspension should have been reduced. If what Wright says is true, I'm not sure that practically being sexually assaulted on the football field is much better.

Niggling is one thing. As a defender, I always maintain close contact with my opponents, and sometimes they get frustrated and lash out. But if I was kicking them in the shins, hitting them in the neck and grabbing their balls, I don't think I could completely claim victimhood if they lost it and gave me a left hook.

For sure provocation is a legitimate defense.

But we only have Wrights word that Somerville grabbed him on the knackers and kicked him but we have a lot of anecdotal testimony that says Somerville wasn't the type to do that stuff as well, so who's telling the truth?

The facts are that Wright had a history in his very short career of partaking in quite serious on field violence as his massive suspension for striking against Geelong that year attests to. I personally take his claims with a massive pinch of salt.

To bring up the Greening issue again, I've heard St Kilda supporters claim that Greening provoked O'Dea by saying something about rooting his missus and someone else claiming that Greening threatened O'Dea.

I don't believe that bullshit for a second and it smacks of falsifying history to justify this absolute dog act (which knowing the form of Jeans coached teams I have no doubt was premeditated to begin with) which robbed us and the greater game of a champion and likely one of the best players ever.

And even in the unlikely event it was true does that justify it anyway? Absolutely not.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:02 pm

^ Spot on, Johnny Greening would have been a triple brownlow medallist and would have played in the Gfs o f77, 79, and with him in those teams, we would have won two flags for sure.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:24 pm
Post subject: Re: Spot On AssessmentReply with quote

[quote="Colin G Wood"]
Mossi wrote:
Flashman wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
I was pretty young way back then, but I do recall the incident well, im pretty sure it was also Len Thompsons first game, and he did well. What Wrighty did probably warranted at least 10 weeks suspension, I reckon the club was a bit harsh on him, really. It was nothing compared to what that violent thug Odea did to Greening several years later, pales into insignificance, and that bastard Odea was made a friggin life member by the Saint Vomit Board. everytime we play those tossers, I want us too beat the shit outa them, cos of greening, even last week. !

It was only luck that it wasn't like Greenings incident though. It was a dogs act no matter who Wright played for.

Collingwood and Bobby Rose giving him the boot shows why we are a better club and Bobby was a better person than St Kilda and that prick Allan Jeans for how he/they handled O'Dea.[/quote}

Big difference O'Dea was premeditated, Jeans had JG marked to be taken out! should have got 10 years both Jeans and O'Dea not 10 weeks! The Wright incidence was just before my time but it looks like a hot head reaction and his time did not fit the crime!

Absolutely agree. I have posted on this issue before. Allan Jeans and his thug executioner were exulted by their club for an assassination. Wright was banished for a heat of the moment action he no doubt regretted. Says a lot about the two clubs. Made victory in 2010 even sweeter.
(Suggest people Google the YouTube video from World of Sport when Peter McKenna who played on that terrible day in 1972 was to later tackle Jeans on the Neville Bruns and Leigh Matthews incident. Macca eluded to Jeans being the coach overseeing these acts of violence)

There's no evidence that Jeans had anything to do with either the O'Dea or Mathews incidents. Both were dog incidents and both were spontaneous. Jeans never defended O'Dea. He did however defend Mathews by saying it was done in the heat of the moment and following the antics of Jackson who started the whole chain of events. Mathews regretted what he did and admitted fault and didn't even mention the broken jaw he suffered in retaliation for what he did. Big difference between Mathews and O'Dea. Mathews never shied away from what he did and faced the consequences in a court of law. O'Dea hid behind the club and never owned up to what he did. I wouldn't even mention O'Dea and Mathews in the same breath. Coming back to Wright, that was a dog act as well and Bobby Rose would have been disgusted with him.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:07 pm

[quote="BucksIsFutureCoach"]
Colin G Wood wrote:
Mossi wrote:
Flashman wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Collingwood and Bobby Rose giving him the boot shows why we are a better club and Bobby was a better person than St Kilda and that prick Allan Jeans for how he/they handled O'Dea.[/quote}

There's no evidence that Jeans had anything to do with either the O'Dea or Mathews incidents. Both were dog incidents and both were spontaneous. Jeans never defended O'Dea. He did however defend Mathews by saying it was done in the heat of the moment and following the antics of Jackson who started the whole chain of events. Mathews regretted what he did and admitted fault and didn't even mention the broken jaw he suffered in retaliation for what he did. Big difference between Mathews and O'Dea. Mathews never shied away from what he did and faced the consequences in a court of law. O'Dea hid behind the club and never owned up to what he did. I wouldn't even mention O'Dea and Mathews in the same breath. Coming back to Wright, that was a dog act as well and Bobby Rose would have been disgusted with him.
Officially there is no evidence otherwise there could have been a law suite taken out on both those dogs, The JG incident happened in the first few minutes of the game. From memory Jeans never defended O'Dea never expressed a an in depth statement on the subject preferring to say it was an unfortunate incident! They were after Greening from the start of the match,why, the fact is they took him out behind play when the crowd was following the ball. O'Dea was the only bloke near Greening and still wouldn't admit to the fact!!!!!!!!! He still won't talk about it, preferring to take it to his death bed! Twisted Evil Some Saints supporters still reckon JG provoked O'Dea but no one saw any contact prior. A king hit! Greening saw nothing and can't remember anything. O'Dea was too dumb to think up the incident (he can't even talk about!) so that leaves only one person who gave the ultimate instruction and that was not O'Dea's Mum.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:19 pm

Flashman wrote:
David wrote:
Flashman wrote:

I certainly don't endorse king hits, and agree that there's no justification for such an act. To play devil's advocate, though, should retaliators always be condemned? Consider this story, for instance:

Was Joe Murdoch's 'niggling' 'just part and parcel of the game'? Or did the provocation cross the line?

In my view, Murdoch's actions were completely unsporting and Coventry's suspension should have been reduced. If what Wright says is true, I'm not sure that practically being sexually assaulted on the football field is much better.

Niggling is one thing. As a defender, I always maintain close contact with my opponents, and sometimes they get frustrated and lash out. But if I was kicking them in the shins, hitting them in the neck and grabbing their balls, I don't think I could completely claim victimhood if they lost it and gave me a left hook.

But we only have Wrights word that Somerville grabbed him on the knackers and kicked him but we have a lot of anecdotal testimony that says Somerville wasn't the type to do that stuff as well, so who's telling the truth?

The facts are that Wright had a history in his very short career of partaking in quite serious on field violence as his massive suspension for striking against Geelong that year attests to. I personally take his claims with a massive pinch of salt.

To bring up the Greening issue again, I've heard St Kilda supporters claim that Greening provoked O'Dea by saying something about rooting his missus and someone else claiming that Greening threatened O'Dea.

I don't believe that bullshit for a second and it smacks of falsifying history to justify this absolute dog act (which knowing the form of Jeans coached teams I have no doubt was premeditated to begin with) which robbed us and the greater game of a champion and likely one of the best players ever.

And even in the unlikely event it was true does that justify it anyway? Absolutely not.

I cant really get my head around why Somerville would be niggling Wright. I would have though the more likely scenario would be the other way around. Maybe it was and Somerville had enough & gave him one, and Wright dropped him. We'll never really know.

Regardless, a king hit is a king hit. Doesn't matter whether it was the result of a niggle, or if it was premeditated. The result can be the same. Somerville (and Collingwood) were lucky he didn't end up like Greening. We should all be grateful he didnt.

We can hardly claim the high moral ground over Greening, and then defend Wright is any way. I, for one, am glad he never played another game for Collingwood.

Flashman 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:39 pm

Doc63 wrote:
Flashman wrote:
David wrote:
Flashman wrote:

I cant really get my head around why Somerville would be niggling Wright. I would have though the more likely scenario would be the other way around. Maybe it was and Somerville had enough & gave him one, and Wright dropped him. We'll never really know.

Regardless, a king hit is a king hit. Doesn't matter whether it was the result of a niggle, or if it was premeditated. The result can be the same. Somerville (and Collingwood) were lucky he didn't end up like Greening. We should all be grateful he didnt.

We can hardly claim the high moral ground over Greening, and then defend Wright is any way. I, for one, am glad he never played another game for Collingwood.

My sentiments exactly.

Bobby Rose (as tough a player as ever laced up a boot) not standing for one of his players conducting himself in this manner raises his standing in my eyes even further (and my opinion of Bob Rose is about as high as it gets for any human being).
Flashman 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:57 pm

[quote="BucksIsFutureCoach"]
Colin G Wood wrote:
Mossi wrote:
Flashman wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Yeah and there's no evidence that Jeans instructed Cowboy Neale to king hit Peter Hudson in the 1971 GF early in the game when Hudson had already kicked three goals and tied for Pratts record, but it happened all the same. The cynic in me suggests that stopping Hudson was a directive from Jeans that Neale carried out.

I also remember reading that Neale elbowed and eneded the career of some poor kid from Footscray (I think) and ended his career shortly after the Greening incident. Yet another Jeans protégé partaking in an unsavoury career ending incident.

Strangely Jeans sides always had guys like Neale, Ditterich, O'Dea, Brereton, Dipper and Matthews who weren't shy and were often quite deliberate in administering physical punishment, more so than any other coach of the modern era. Coincidence? You be the judge.

Actually casting my mind back I remember in 1983 that Colin Robertson put Timmy Watson out of the game early and behind play in the GF (of course Hawthorn were coached by Jeans again).

This shit doesn't just keep happening by chance and I think Jeans may have instilled a "whatever it takes" mentality in sides that he coached maybe without specifically singling out players. That's as may be. The facts are players in sides he coached transgressed the rules and common decency far to often for it to be just coincidence imo, and Jeans was wholly tolerant and therefore complicit in it.

I piss on Allan Jeans.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:50 pm

[quote="Flashman"]
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Colin G Wood wrote:
Mossi wrote:
Flashman wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Yeah and there's no evidence that Jeans instructed Cowboy Neale to king hit Peter Hudson in the 1971 GF early in the game when Hudson had already kicked three goals and tied for Pratts record, but it happened all the same. The cynic in me suggests that stopping Hudson was a directive from Jeans that Neale carried out.

I also remember reading that Neale elbowed and eneded the career of some poor kid from Footscray (I think) and ended his career shortly after the Greening incident. Yet another Jeans protégé partaking in an unsavoury career ending incident.

Strangely Jeans sides always had guys like Neale, Ditterich, O'Dea, Brereton, Dipper and Matthews who weren't shy and were often quite deliberate in administering physical punishment, more so than any other coach of the modern era. Coincidence? You be the judge.

Actually casting my mind back I remember in 1983 that Colin Robertson put Timmy Watson out of the game early and behind play in the GF (of course Hawthorn were coached by Jeans again).

This shit doesn't just keep happening by chance and I think Jeans may have instilled a "whatever it takes" mentality in sides that he coached maybe without specifically singling out players. That's as may be. The facts are players in sides he coached transgressed the rules and common decency far to often for it to be just coincidence imo, and Jeans was wholly tolerant and therefore complicit in it.

I piss on Allan Jeans.

What goes around comes around. Alister Lynch was great at dishing it out but wasn't that good at taking it. We copped it from him in both the 2002 and 2003 grand finals. Waklein's twin brother eventually caught up with him in the 2004 GF. From memory Lynch didn't play again after that.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Big difference O'Dea was premeditated, Jeans had JG marked to be taken out! should have got 10 years both Jeans and O'Dea not 10 weeks! The Wright incidence was just before my time but it looks like a hot head reaction and his time did not fit the crime![/quote]

(Suggest people Google the YouTube video from World of Sport when Peter McKenna who played on that terrible day in 1972 was to later tackle Jeans on the Neville Bruns and Leigh Matthews incident. Macca eluded to Jeans being the coach overseeing these acts of violence)[/quote]

I piss on Allan Jeans.[/quote

If there was a like button this post would deserve one. Bruns aside, probably deserved it, but as usual Jeans would get someone to take out a playmaker. The only thing Mark Yates did wrong was not running into the Hawks coaching box and flatten the old bastard. As for Sheedy taking any moral high ground. Well FMD.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:52 pm

rand corp wrote:
That infamous photo, remember it well as I grew up.

It was indeed a bit like the Greening hit and whilst I believe no one intended to do so much damage to the player, king hitting someone from behind on a sporting field is a dog act plain and simple.

Duncan Wright has had to live with the truth of his actions but I do note I've never seen a Jim O'Dea interview where he talks about the day he nearly killed a bloke because he knew he was better than him.

Very True!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:36 pm

I have not the slightest doubt ol Yabby Jeans instructed thug Odea to take out Greening, "whatever it takes" and Odea followed him to the letter. Jeans possibly didn't want him to nearly kill him and comatose him, as happened, just "take him out" but the die was cast. That explains Jeans looking very sheepish on tv the day later, and for some weeks after that. He knew, he damn well knew, make no mistake about that one !!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: