Will Freeman ever get a game?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Needs a bit of time to get full confidence in the hammies I'd say, just needs to play some consistently good footy at VFL and should get his chance sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:20 pm

Geez I hope so.

But there is the possibility that he doesn't become a 200 gamer; it happens.

I'm sure we all held high hopes for Ryan Cook, Danny Stanley and Adam Iccubucci (spelling?).

All good players, but they never quite made it. It happens a bit with midfield prospects.

That being said, none of the above players were top 10, or even first rounders, so you would hope Freeman becomes a club champ, obviously

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:24 pm

ThePieMind wrote:
Hes getting over a long term injury, he must come in, he has huge wraps on him. Him and Moore I want too see come in, sooner the better. !

I'm a little concerned TBH, he's been blitzing on the training track, came second in the 2k iirc so his fitness levels are good, but he's struggling at VFL level, if he isn't tearing up the VFL within a month I reckon we've got a dud on our hands.

Is there no end to your stupidity.
FFS

Do you often act with aggression when you read something you disagree with? And you're calling me stupid? interesting.

He has a point. The kid has played no competitive footy for 12 months and you're willing to write him off after a month if he doesn't perform to your expectations.

Also:
Statistics: 13 kicks, 1 mark, 9 handballs, 22 disposals, 5 clearances, 3 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 tackle
Dale Tapping says: He had 13 contested possessions and had some good moments through the midfield. He’s got to just keep developing and adding consistency to his game.

How the **** you get from that report that he's "struggling" at VFL level is beyond me. Various posters have had him amongst the best on ground for the last few weeks. I'm not sure what you're expecting from a kid in essentially his first season, coming off a year of no footy (even Berg has played more than him ffs), but it's pretty clear your expectations are unrealistic.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:54 pm

ThePieMind wrote:
Hes getting over a long term injury, he must come in, he has huge wraps on him. Him and Moore I want too see come in, sooner the better. !

I'm a little concerned TBH, he's been blitzing on the training track, came second in the 2k iirc so his fitness levels are good, but he's struggling at VFL level, if he isn't tearing up the VFL within a month I reckon we've got a dud on our hands.

FFS

There is no end to Defender's stupidity but I understand where he's coming from on this issue. We were led to believe he was burning up the track all preseason and was the guy every player nominated as having a breakout year when asked.
I hear his VFL performances are a little underwhelming so I think we are all a bit concerned but it very early days. Let's hope he's about to start smashing it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:24 pm

not all share the concern about freeman.
there seems to be so much angst over guys who have played such little football.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:41 pm

ThePieMind wrote:

FFS

Do you often act with aggression when you read something you disagree with? And you're calling me stupid? interesting.

He has a point. The kid has played no competitive footy for 12 months and you're willing to write him off after a month if he doesn't perform to your expectations.

Also:
Statistics: 13 kicks, 1 mark, 9 handballs, 22 disposals, 5 clearances, 3 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 tackle
Dale Tapping says: He had 13 contested possessions and had some good moments through the midfield. He’s got to just keep developing and adding consistency to his game.

How the **** you get from that report that he's "struggling" at VFL level is beyond me. Various posters have had him amongst the best on ground for the last few weeks. I'm not sure what you're expecting from a kid in essentially his first season, coming off a year of no footy (even Berg has played more than him ffs), but it's pretty clear your expectations are unrealistic.

My fears can be traced back to the weeks prior to his draft, I didn't like his 5 minute highlight clip, I just saw things that concerned me, poise being the main one.

Obviously I hope he proves me wrong but so far he hasn't, I know it's early days but it shouldn't take a top 10 pick long to find his feet at vfl level coming off a cracking ps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Yes, he will. Now can we all move on and give the kid some slack.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:53 pm

A tad harsh methinks. Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:34 pm

So in 4 weeks time if he isn't looking very good at vfl level you won't be concerned?

Bare in mind it's a massive step up to afl level.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:13 am

Yes, he will. Now can we all move on and give the kid some slack.

What he said.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:07 am

Of course Freeman will get a game… and he will do well given his drive and natural talents.

How many games of VFL has he played? Not many - so we need to get some games into him at that level give him a chance to build confidence and dominate and then give him a crack not he big stage Wink

mattys123 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:48 am

Nathan Freeman has officially played 1 game of VFL in his life, that's one official game for Collingwood at any level (not counting NAB games or practice matches).

Maybe give him some time, he will debut in the next month.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:19 pm

Chris Egan was never treated like this. Its a disgrace.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:39 pm

So in 4 weeks time if he isn't looking very good at vfl level you won't be concerned?

AND if the kid does really well, and comes in and stars, can we expect some sort of apology from you mate ?? Confused Surprised

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:42 pm

AND if the kid does really well, and comes in and stars, can we expect some sort of apology from you mate ?? Confused Surprised

Yes I think a three and a half minute one read into Magpie Hansard would suffice. Wink