Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Solution to Trav's kicking inaccuracy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Seriously, I'm over all this psycho babble. The problem is his technique. He doesn't need psychologists and he doesn't need head phones with crowd noise. His problem is that he drops the ball from too high and leans back when he kicks. Please get rid of the psychologists and get someone like Dids to work on his technique. Seriously, it aint rocket science.

Dids would be great!

www.facebook/the hybernators
roar 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:38 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Seriously, I'm over all this psycho babble. The problem is his technique. He doesn't need psychologists and he doesn't need head phones with crowd noise. His problem is that he drops the ball from too high and leans back when he kicks. Please get rid of the psychologists and get someone like Dids to work on his technique. Seriously, it aint rocket science.

Do you think the ball drop issue hasn't been pointed out to him? It's a mental issue because he can't seem to adopt the correct technique during games.

It's also a mental issue when he doesn't see it as that big a problem.

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:37 pm

yes i think its mostly upstairs, a bit like Charles Barkley's golf swing!
hi-pie 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:14 pm

Watching the slow-mo of Clokey kicking the ball from last weeks game, he consistently takes his eye off the ball (looks up) just before his foot contacts the ball.

In all ball sports it is crucial to keep your eye on the ball as you contact it and afterwards keep your eye where the ball was contacted. This improves the likelyhood of you contacting the ball properly and that you keep your head over the ball, providing a stable platform to execute the shot ....as someone said Clokey leans back as he kicks it...I reckon this is at least partly because he takes his eye off the ball and looks up (to where he hopes the ball is going ie the "big sticks" Confused) as he kicks.

Wanna see someone watching the ball like this??...look at the slow-mo's of Federer doing a backhand...you'll see what I mean... Very Happy

hi-pie 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:18 pm

...I'd tell him to watch the ball right onto his foot and not lift his head until his foot starts to come down ie avoid the temptation to look at where the ball is going prematurely...???
hi-pie 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:25 pm

...and as others have said it would help if he guided the ball with his left hand more...ie to ensure the ball was at the right angle to his foot etc...
RatsaK Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:06 pm

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2015-04-21/training-photos-tuesdays-best

See the last picture - if Cloke has been told he drops the ball from too high he is not listening or was told when he was listening to his iPOD.

He is watching the ball in this pic which is a surprise because he doesn't in a game.

rsz_cloke_ball_drop.jpg

Cloke Ball Drop

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:33 pm

His technique is f%cked.
roar 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:08 pm

As is his head.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:18 pm

roar wrote:
As is his head.

That too. Crying or Very sad
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:51 pm

I don't think his head particularly phuked, but if I ever run in to him again, I'm gunna snuggle not to ask him if his balls dropped,
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:18 am

It's not in his head, When he kicks naturally 80 metres out he runs out on an arc like most left footers do (most right footers do it too), and he hits it pretty sweet 90% of the time, but when he's lining up for goal he try's to kick it to straight, he doesn't run the arc and he doesn't get the left to right trajectory, in fact (like Tarrant) his set shots often go inside out (as in right to left).

Kicking the ball dead straight sounds good in theory, but if you miss the sweet spot by a mill you'll miss either side, IMO you're better off using your natural curve, worked alright for Sumich who had the biggest arc of all time, ala Buddy.

Snooker is a good example, one of the hardest shots to play is a long range dead straight shot when the ball you want to pocket is a fair distance from the pocket, there's no margin for error, but, the same shot when you have a bit of angle gives you the option to not miss on one side, chalk and cheese I know but the theory's the same, if you kick with an arc you can pretty much eliminate missing to one side pretty much, kicking dead straight opens up missing to both sides, I know those of you who've played the game know what I mean anyway.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:00 am

Yeah, it must definitely be remembered that to kick 5.4 you hafta get the ball in a scoring position 9 times, and his defensive side is definitely improving. This also means the mids are playing well enough to get it to him that often. The other plus is that White is definitely playing a good deal better than last year, (and he's a straighter kick).

Still, I'm constantly stunned to learn things we're NOT doing. We don't have a full-time ruck coach, or a full time kicking coach. What's the point being the richest club in the comp if we don't use that dosh to do everything possible to win games?!

The selection committee is also driving me nuts. Rd.1 we gave DeGoey a shot. He got a quarter, did quite well, and was dropped, replaced by Karnezis for his first run. He got one quarter, did quite well, and was dropped. This is NOT how you build confidence in young players, it cost us young Martin last year. Best in the twos by a mile he finally got 1 quarter near the end of the season and was dropped. Give kids a full game to show what they can do, or at least give them more than 1 game as sub. We have a plethora of young talent, enough to build a dynasty on, but if we don't learn to handle them better they simply won't prosper. There was about 300 column inches devoted to Darcy possibly getting a run on Anzac day. Obviously the authors have no clue about our wrong-headed selection policies. Far too conservative.
But hey, a big win tomorrow, another medal for Swanny, the breakout game of Broomy or Gault, and I'll kiss the lot of them on any orifice they care to name. For that would set up season 2015. A win the following week against the already written off Carlton would then see us 4-1, and most likely in the 4. Certainly not what we would've expected after our Round 2 embarrassment at the hands of Adelaide. But the win tomorrow is a very big 'if'. It would certainly tell us a lot about where we are, especially with 2 or 3 of our best on the sidelines, including our second best player last Anzac day in Sidey. Still, if we play like we did last week (kicking over 100, winning every quarter, kicking straight, and not dying in the last quarter,) we are certainly capable.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:13 am

35forever wrote:
Yeah, it must definitely be remembered that to kick 5.4 you hafta get the ball in a scoring position 9 times, and his defensive side is definitely improving. This also means the mids are playing well enough to get it to him that often. The other plus is that White is definitely playing a good deal better than last year, (and he's a straighter kick).

Still, I'm constantly stunned to learn things we're NOT doing. We don't have a full-time ruck coach, or a full time kicking coach. What's the point being the richest club in the comp if we don't use that dosh to do everything possible to win games?!

The selection committee is also driving me nuts. Rd.1 we gave DeGoey a shot. He got a quarter, did quite well, and was dropped, replaced by Karnezis for his first run. He got one quarter, did quite well, and was dropped. This is NOT how you build confidence in young players, it cost us young Martin last year. Best in the twos by a mile he finally got 1 quarter near the end of the season and was dropped. Give kids a full game to show what they can do, or at least give them more than 1 game as sub. We have a plethora of young talent, enough to build a dynasty on, but if we don't learn to handle them better they simply won't prosper. There was about 300 column inches devoted to Darcy possibly getting a run on Anzac day. Obviously the authors have no clue about our wrong-headed selection policies. Far too conservative.
But hey, a big win tomorrow, another medal for Swanny, the breakout game of Broomy or Gault, and I'll kiss the lot of them on any orifice they care to name. For that would set up season 2015. A win the following week against the already written off Carlton would then see us 4-1, and most likely in the 4. Certainly not what we would've expected after our Round 2 embarrassment at the hands of Adelaide. But the win tomorrow is a very big 'if'. It would certainly tell us a lot about where we are, especially with 2 or 3 of our best on the sidelines, including our second best player last Anzac day in Sidey. Still, if we play like we did last week (kicking over 100, winning every quarter, kicking straight, and not dying in the last quarter,) we are certainly capable.

One thing I really hate is picking a player as a sub, and then the club saying that player isn't fit enough to run a game out and that's why we made him the sub.

If your not fit enough to run a game out you play VFL, 4 qtrs a week until you are fit enough! What happens if we lose a player early in the game and this unfit sub has to play the majority of the game?

What does it say to our other junior players who are actually match fit

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:29 am

If only we picked up Fevola
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: