Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What to do with Jesse White?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveH67 wrote:
If he was any good, the Swans wouldn't have let him go.

The Swans had to let him and a couple of other players go to squeeze in Buddy's salary. He will never be a star, but he can play a useful support role, especially as part of a 3 pronged marking forward structure.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 pm

SteveH67 wrote:
If he was any good, the Swans wouldn't have let him go.

Mumford says "Hi"

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:44 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Stupied wrote:
I'm actually pretty happy with White's output this year. Should have had 2 goals again last week on top of his two goal games in rounds 1 & 2. He's been adequate in the ruck relieving Grundy, and he's averaging a shade under 15 disposals a game. If he continues his current output I'm sure the club will be quite happy with him.

I second this.

Leave him doing what he's doing. He's not Buddy, he's not the Duck, he's not Leroy Brown. He is a tall mobile forward option who can also take a turn in the ruck or even onball.

Lets just play to his strengths instead of focusing on the weaknesses and get the best of him.

I agree, been much more consistent this year.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:16 am

Now that Reid is injured again I guess White will continue to get a game. He really was hopeless on Friday night and that is how we ought to judge him. To be fair, he was OK the week before and also trained well all summer.

Sometimes I get a set against a player and White disappointed early in his training at Collingwood. He may play a role for us against poor opposition, but against quality opponents and in pressure situations he is going to let us down I'm afraid.

Still, unless Reid has a miracle cure or until Darcy Moore or Jon Marsh put their hands up, he'll get a run. Hope I'm wrong.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:29 am

jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Stupied wrote:
I'm actually pretty happy with White's output this year. Should have had 2 goals again last week on top of his two goal games in rounds 1 & 2. He's been adequate in the ruck relieving Grundy, and he's averaging a shade under 15 disposals a game. If he continues his current output I'm sure the club will be quite happy with him.

I second this.

Leave him doing what he's doing. He's not Buddy, he's not the Duck, he's not Leroy Brown. He is a tall mobile forward option who can also take a turn in the ruck or even onball.

Lets just play to his strengths instead of focusing on the weaknesses and get the best of him.

I don't think he's been that bad this year. Great goal from the boundary line.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:31 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
Now that Reid is injured again I guess White will continue to get a game. He really was hopeless on Friday night and that is how we ought to judge him. To be fair, he was OK the week before and also trained well all summer.

Sometimes I get a set against a player and White disappointed early in his training at Collingwood. He may play a role for us against poor opposition, but against quality opponents and in pressure situations he is going to let us down I'm afraid.

Still, unless Reid has a miracle cure or until Darcy Moore or Jon Marsh put their hands up, he'll get a run. Hope I'm wrong.

Let's judge him after a few games. Like this Saturday for starters. He started well last year but fell away quickly & he seems to know it. Hopefully it falls his way this week.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:25 am

watt price tully wrote:
jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Stupied wrote:

I second this.

That goal from the boundary line was his kick for the second quarter. He also had one hand-ball that term. The team went inside 50 25 times. He must get involved in the play more.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:47 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Stupied wrote:

I second this.

That goal from the boundary line was his kick for the second quarter. He also had one hand-ball that term. The team went inside 50 25 times. He must get involved in the play more.

He's following the ancient Japanese minimalist school of maximum efficiency.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:08 am

Get Phar Laps Heart and put it in him. I was hopeful he would be a great inclusion but he has been very disappointing as he has all the attributes to be a great player but lacks the intensity required in my view.
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:17 am

Exactly how many goals do you expect from a third forward? He is behind Cloke and Elliott in the pecking order - can someone check that in terms of percentage of F50 entries for each player?

30 goals a year would be a good return

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:47 am

Deja Vu wrote:
Exactly how many goals do you expect from a third forward? He is behind Cloke and Elliott in the pecking order - can someone check that in terms of percentage of F50 entries for each player?

30 goals a year would be a good return
Buckley would not be assessing Jane by the number of Goals. Jane would be assessed by her defensive pressure, contested possessions, contested marks and goal assists and the big one consistency of which she has failed.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:34 am

The problem with White is that he's basically not a smart footballer. I'll give you an example. In the third quarter Pendlebury is 55 meters out and punts the ball towards the goals. Both Cloke and White are hanging back and four StKilda players grab the ball and take it away. Maybe White thought Pendlebury would keep running to make the distance, but with a StKilda player at Pendlebury's feet and knowing that Pendlebury has a maximum distance of about 50 meters distance in his kick, the obvious thing for a smart teammate to do would have been to make the lead. Maybe at this point of the game White was running out of legs, or maybe he just wasn't thinking, but it's passages like this that result in missed opportunities to score goals. And White is a cog in the forward line setup that must work as a unit to convert the opportunities that come their way.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:55 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Stupied wrote:

I second this.

This sums it up for me. In a quarter of footy where we really dominated our opposition he was seldom seen. If not for that goal........

Even watching him kick that goal from a set shot on the boundary makes me question his natural footy smarts as he casually changes his mind half way through his approach from drop punt to check side. Fortunately for him it sailed through.

I think we just have to maintain perspective on him. He's an awesome athlete but an average - good footballer doing an average - good job for our club.

It's easy to be disappointed in players, but usually its because we as fans keep wanting more. We want them all to take that step and become a champion. Unfortunately that only pans out for the hardworking few. But with White, though we'd probably all like to see the ball in his hands more often, in the same breath, I don't think he's a liability.

Once again he's Just an average- good footballer doing his best. It will have to do as the story of Jesse White.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:59 am

White is showing more willingness to get physical this year. Just a bit.

I wonder if the presence of Varcoe has spurred him in this direction. Both he and Varcoe are mature age recruits, but Varcoe arrives and gets stuck in, whereas White has been onboard for years and had shied away from the hard clashes.

White might be seeing in Varcoe a role model of what is expected of him - almost shame him into developing a bit more mongrel.

White said at the start of the season that the club stats showed that when he got involved in contests he has a positive impact for the team. Trouble was he didn't have the tank to get to many contests. Hence the massive weight loss he's achieved plus a solid preseason of endurance running.

Hope he continues to develop more aggression and gets to and chuck himself into a few more body clashes.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:59 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Stupied wrote:

I second this.

White could also be part of the police school of AFL thinking:

1. Loitering without intent;
2. Proceeding in a northerly direction when the play is in the south; and,
3. Hello, hello, hello, what's all this then? - when he leads into space & the opposition has the ball.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: