Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What to do with Jesse White?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:30 pm
Post subject: What to do with Jesse White?Reply with quote

He's not a youngster like Gault; he's had years in the system at two very good clubs. At 27 he's at his peak and I'm afraid to say that what we are seeing is about as good as it's going to get. I'm disappointed and I bet Collingwood is too, so what to do?

I like a three tall forward line and for Anzac Day it could be Cloke, Gault and White, but I'd be tempted to just put Reid in his place. Later in the year we'll have Darcy Moore to throw down back so I reckon Reid gives us far more potency provided he can get and stay fit.

Sure we can wait until Reid gets more match fitness, but there's no guarantee he'll get any fitter really is there? White was very disappointing on Friday night against very, very ordinary opposition.

We could also consider Witts in the equation, but Reid gives us more flexibility at present. Darcy Moore? Yes, Darcy Moore is probably already the equal of White, but he's not ready IMO.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually pretty happy with White's output this year. Should have had 2 goals again last week on top of his two goal games in rounds 1 & 2. He's been adequate in the ruck relieving Grundy, and he's averaging a shade under 15 disposals a game. If he continues his current output I'm sure the club will be quite happy with him.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:47 pm

I had high hopes for white. I wrote on this board that he was our version of buddy with a little less pizzazz. But it's water under the bridge and I've moved on and so should the club. Unfortunately for white he will not be in our best 22 if we get Reid and witts back and regular.
Perhaps white is played out of position and he could play as a wingman/flanker but he'll need to fight hard for such a spot and I think he may go missing if that opportunity also arrives.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:52 pm

I am hoping our youngsters improve to the point that White is a VFL player by Round 15 and stays there.

Thusfar, he has been very ordinary with his best two games being NAB challenge games.

At best, he's a third tall as I think he struggles against any teams best or second best tall defender.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:59 pm

Stupied wrote:
I'm actually pretty happy with White's output this year. Should have had 2 goals again last week on top of his two goal games in rounds 1 & 2. He's been adequate in the ruck relieving Grundy, and he's averaging a shade under 15 disposals a game. If he continues his current output I'm sure the club will be quite happy with him.

I second this.

Leave him doing what he's doing. He's not Buddy, he's not the Duck, he's not Leroy Brown. He is a tall mobile forward option who can also take a turn in the ruck or even onball.

Lets just play to his strengths instead of focusing on the weaknesses and get the best of him.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:00 pm

He was better the first two weeks than last.

I think he's shown enough to warrant another game this round but with Witts and Reid gathering fitness and form and young Moore impressing he and Gault will be under real pressure to maintain there place in the 22 going forward.

I only see that as a positive.

More likely Gault would make way for Witts, Reid or Moore this week if a change were to me made.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:03 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Stupied wrote:

I second this.

Leave him doing what he's doing. He's not Buddy, he's not the Duck, he's not Leroy Brown. He is a tall mobile forward option who can also take a turn in the ruck or even onball.

Lets just play to his strengths instead of focusing on the weaknesses and get the best of him.

I also agree…

He is still doing more than Gault and although he may be ousted by Reid or Moore or Gault at some stage he is still needed in the mix because both Moore and Gault are not there yet and Reid may be needed down back and is also not there…!

White is doing a lot better this year than last so hopefully he can keep it going and build his confidence.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:05 pm

i am ok with white. we'd look less mobile amd reduce our flexibility if he weren't in. even if we were to go with reid which we wouldn't and won't reid doesn't pinch hit in the ruck or cover the ground white does.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:09 pm

I tend to think we expect to much from an average footballer. He was never anything special at the swans and he had plenty of time in a good system to improve but it didnt happen. He didnt cost us much in terms of the trade and in fairness, i think his first two games this season were ok.
I think the pies expected white to become more " relevant " away from the small SCG and that he would be the perfect foil as a third tall forward ( which just hasnt happened often enough during his time here )
Terry wallace said recently ( yes, hes a flog ) that whites leading patterns in the forward line were as bad as any experienced key forward he had seen in recent times.
I just think hes a very good tall athlete who is capable of good footy in very infrequent bursts.
In all walks of life, the reality is, its not often you get much more than what you paid for. White is just another case in point.
Stevo75 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:14 pm

Unless he turns things around dramatically he needs to be gone at seasons end. Too soft, struggles to take an overhead mark and doesn't apply anywhere near enough pressure. Not really sure what the issue is and think it's just lack of footy smarts. He is a superb athlete for someone his size and should be tearing games apart at least once every 4-6 weeks. He is also potentially going to leave Gault out of the side at times and I would prefer to give him games. If Witts is ready bring him in to do at least half the ruck and give him and Grundy turns up forward. Grundy has limitless potential and could do more in half a game up forward than White in a whole game. He isn't going to learn the craft though if he never plays there?
jatsad 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:56 pm

Play him at centre half back. He's big enough, strong enough and doesn't have to worry about leading up and turning his opponent.

Was tried there in the VFL last year and did very well.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:05 pm

Stays in the side.

For now, anyway.

Actually, his 1.67 goals per game average this year compares well against that of the 2010/2011 Chris Dawes (1.5 goals a game). So long as he keeps that production up, he holds his place.

That being said, he is a fair ways behind Ben Reid's 2.5 goals per game average across 10 games as a 2nd key forward in 2013, so there's always a superior option available if White falters.

Right now though, a rudimentary extrapolation has White on target for 35 goals this year, which is decent enough. A minimum return in the 30-40 goal range as a 2nd key forward behind Cloke is what we need from him.

Has to play as a 2nd forward though, not a 3rd tall relief ruckman. Keep him out of the ruck. Use Gault or Witts/Grundy for that.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:07 pm

why is reid being talked about as a forward option? won't happen.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:13 pm

Give him a run in the ruck.

Oh, wait ...

jatsad wrote:
Play him at centre half back. He's big enough, strong enough and doesn't have to worry about leading up and turning his opponent.

That was my thought also. The discipline of having to play on an opponent and beat him would be good for White. Trouble is, I think he's too old now to learn the footy smarts needed to excel in that position and in any case, we are not short of tall defenders with Frost and Brown doing well, and with Moore a possibility for later on this year, not to mention Reid, who might play again one day.

Right now, White is doing OK. Not great, but we don't have anyone else yet ready to push him out of the senior side. If and when Gault and/or Witts and/or Moore force him out, so be it.

SteveH67 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:13 pm

If he was any good, the Swans wouldn't have let him go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: