Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Duncan Wright and the 'Somerville incident' of 1965

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:59 am
Post subject: Duncan Wright and the 'Somerville incident' of 1965Reply with quote

A story on the AFL website recounting a famous (infamous?) incident in a Collingwood/Essendon match back in 1965.

Worth a read.

Eg.

That Wright had hit Somerville is not in dispute, but the motivation remains debated.

Wright is adamant he was provoked, insisting Somerville "started mouthing off and niggling" before back-heeling his shins and then "squirrel-gripping". He says he warned Somerville three times to quit it or else, but Somerville "didn't take any notice".

"I wanted to put a stop to it, and I did. It mightn't have been too smart, but it's too late (to change it) now."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-22/tears-for-a-pies-enforcer-the-story-of-collingwoods-duncan-wright
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there. Somerville fainted.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:16 am

I remember Wright fixing up Somerville in 1990. Shocked Very Happy
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:34 am

I was there and I clearly remember my mum saying "if that Somerville doesn't stop niggling Wright, Duncan Wright will flatten him". It seemed like a minute later we noticed Somerville unconscious on the turf and Wright standing about 5 metres away looking up the ground. Unfortunately we lost the game.
RickyWatt23 Sagittarius

RickyWatt23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:14 pm

As mentioned in the article it probably cost us the flag in 1966 as Duncan was in our best 18 - hard at it but a horrible kick - who knows, he probably would have been in our 1970 side and Teddy Hopkins wouldn't have got a kick! I remember clearly that it seemed really weak from the club at the time and their reasons didn't ring true with the average fan.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:15 pm

No real justification for Wright to do that to Somerville though is there?

A niggle is part and parcel of football and he grossly overreacted.

It was lucky that Somerville didn't end up like John Greening to be honest and we are still (quite rightly too) filthy about that incident.

Wright had form too. He was suspended for 8 weeks for a couple of incidents against Geelong as well and all this for a bloke who only played 20 odd games.

He was a thug and Bobby Rose was spot on in pissing him off from the club.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:39 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I was there. Somerville fainted.

bullshit. even the thug himself has admitted he clocked him.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:42 pm

When was this exactly?
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:48 pm

Dark day for the club and I remember feeling a bit ashamed. Collingwood was right to get rid of him I think. I knew his wife professionally and still run into her socially; good woman.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:06 pm

1st Time I ever hard of this
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:31 pm

I was pretty young way back then, but I do recall the incident well, im pretty sure it was also Len Thompsons first game, and he did well. What Wrighty did probably warranted at least 10 weeks suspension, I reckon the club was a bit harsh on him, really. It was nothing compared to what that violent thug Odea did to Greening several years later, pales into insignificance, and that bastard Odea was made a friggin life member by the Saint Vomit Board. everytime we play those tossers, I want us too beat the shit outa them, cos of greening, even last week. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:45 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
I was pretty young way back then, but I do recall the incident well, im pretty sure it was also Len Thompsons first game, and he did well. What Wrighty did probably warranted at least 10 weeks suspension, I reckon the club was a bit harsh on him, really. It was nothing compared to what that violent thug Odea did to Greening several years later, pales into insignificance, and that bastard Odea was made a friggin life member by the Saint Vomit Board. everytime we play those tossers, I want us too beat the shit outa them, cos of greening, even last week. !

It was only luck that it wasn't like Greenings incident though. It was a dogs act no matter who Wright played for.

Collingwood and Bobby Rose giving him the boot shows why we are a better club and Bobby was a better person than St Kilda and that prick Allan Jeans for how he/they handled O'Dea.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:04 pm

Flashman wrote:
No real justification for Wright to do that to Somerville though is there?

A niggle is part and parcel of football and he grossly overreacted.

I certainly don't endorse king hits, and agree that there's no justification for such an act. To play devil's advocate, though, should retaliators always be condemned? Consider this story, for instance:

http://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/coventry-suspended/

Was Joe Murdoch's 'niggling' 'just part and parcel of the game'? Or did the provocation cross the line?

In my view, Murdoch's actions were completely unsporting and Coventry's suspension should have been reduced. If what Wright says is true, I'm not sure that practically being sexually assaulted on the football field is much better.

Niggling is one thing. As a defender, I always maintain close contact with my opponents, and sometimes they get frustrated and lash out. But if I was kicking them in the shins, hitting them in the neck and grabbing their balls, I don't think I could completely claim victimhood if they lost it and gave me a left hook.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:11 pm

I remember back in 1990, one Kevin Sheedy tried to use the incident to fire-up his team before that years grand-final.
Sheedy wanted vengeance for the son and cited the presence of player with a similar name out there and it was up to the Bumbers redress this tragic injustice here on the ultimate field of battle!!!
Apparently it went down like a lead balloon.
Most of team weren't even born then and those were had no idea what he was talking about.

In the end it was good ole Banksie that did the niggle on Spawn that won us the dae so in end end I reckon we came out on top. Very Happy
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:52 pm

Flashman wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

It was only luck that it wasn't like Greenings incident though. It was a dogs act no matter who Wright played for.

Collingwood and Bobby Rose giving him the boot shows why we are a better club and Bobby was a better person than St Kilda and that prick Allan Jeans for how he/they handled O'Dea.

Big difference O'Dea was premeditated, Jeans had JG marked to be taken out! should have got 10 years both Jeans and O'Dea not 10 weeks! The Wright incidence was just before my time but it looks like a hot head reaction and his time did not fit the crime!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: