Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Draftees: Who's close to selection?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:04 pm
Post subject: Draftees: Who's close to selection?Reply with quote

Early days I know, but was thinking about the new boys and wondering who had done the most to impress over summer and in the build up. I'm going to include Nathan Freeman and Matty Sharenberg in the list for obvious reasons.
Of course injuries will play a big role, but at present, who will play and in what order?

1. Jordan DeGoey - has already played as the sub and still the closest to getting selected again. Works hard, has a defensive side and just knows how to get the ball. Could play this week, but I'd give him some more VFL time.

2. Darcy Moore - we know how well he has performed in the VFL practice matches and over summer. Pushing for selection. Wouldn't be surprised to see him picked this week.

3. Brenden Abbott - love the way this boy is working. He's a big, strong and 'at it' type. Has skill by the truckload and has a defensive side as well. Loves the contest and doesn't mind a bit of rough stuff either.

4. Matthew Sharenberg - hasn't played a VFL game yet, but such is his class and so impressive has he been in training sessions, that I'm very confident he will play AFL footy this year.

5. Jono Marsh - After an interrupted pre season, he has been a solid worker. Has developed a strong body and isn't frightened of body contact. In the first quarter v Ballarat he showed glimpses of what we had all hoped for; a running, skilful player with flair & aggression. I think we will see him in 2015.

6. Braydon Maynard - we haven't heard much about him and he probably likes it that way. A no nonsense, hard at it type who is very good defensively. I reckon this boy will be a beauty and he will play in 2015.

7. Nathan Freeman - a bit up and down since December. Killed them on the track over summer. Has speed and endurance. Seems to flash in and out of the game. Would like to see him laying more tackles and impose himself more. Not close IMO.

8. Matty Goodyear - I like this boy. Speed, developing endurance and a nice balance between defence and offensive mindset. Concentrates well. Has the tank to become a mid. May see him late season.

9. Mason Cox - Hard to believe this bloke is playing his first year of Aussie Rules. Is a freaky athlete. Love the attitude. Just needs to learn the game.

10. Michael Manteit - has great endurance, speed and is a nice user. Looked great over summer but in matches he tends to lose concentration and gets caught out of position. Has earned the wrath of Bucks a few times in training sessions. Still a lot of learning to do. 2016.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I say the Noise coming from Club that Moore is a Strong Chance to Debut vs Bombers on Anzac Day.

De Goey has been Fantastic at VFL Level so far this season.

The Rest are still a fair way from Debuting

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:23 pm

When was this exactly?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks for your appraisal, Neil. Given the time you spend watching them and how closely you observe what you see, your views carry weight.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:54 pm

Thanks Neil.
Bucks seems to be recruiting hard nuts.
Are any of the above a little soft or do they all fit the mould?

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:07 pm

i'm hoping that in a couple of years' time everybody will be questioning how the club acquired and developed such a group of players. they fit in nicely with the fast, contested nature of footy.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:19 pm

Now's a great time to play Moore, let him loose on Daniher I say.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:35 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Thanks for your appraisal, Neil. Given the time you spend watching them and how closely you observe what you see, your views carry weight.

Yeah.......we'll probably see Michael Manteit selected this week Pies4Shaw!
Seriously, there are a few VFL watchers here in Nick's and I'd be interested to hear their assessments thus far.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:38 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Thanks Neil.

I suspect one's a bit soft 'thompsoc' but I'd rather not name him.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:49 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Thanks Neil.

I suspect one's a bit soft 'thompsoc' but I'd rather not name him.

Very funny!
As usual well said - you are the best writer on Nicks.

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:22 pm

The fact that Moore was an emergency says the selectors think he is close to being ready for a taste of AFL. I don' think Freeman is a long way off. Perhaps a month or so. I'm a bit cooler on De Goey. I feel he needs to be getting more involved at VFL level and lift his possession rate a bit and also hit the scoreboard more. A few more games at VFL may smooth out any over confidence that may exist. Marsh will play AFL this year. He is maturing, looking more steady with disposal and decision making. He is looking less of a project player and more of an orthodox footballer. Goodyear looks good. May get a game late in the season. Cox has a heap to learn. Not expecting any games this year for him. Scharenberg just needs to play footy and enjoy the game again. He probably has the most ability along with Moore and I'm sure once he is ready will quickly establish his place at AFL level. Maynard is just starting and wouldn't have a clue how quickly he'll progress but we can't expect he will be owning a senior back flank this year.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Based only on seeing this threesome in VFL practice match and the uncertainty of
Ben Reid down back my choices would be Marsh and Moore as defenders and De Goey
as midflied.
Marsh is a strong hard at it defender
De Goey has shown he is very close from NAB games
Moore --at VFL level a stand out and also a choice to fill in for Reid
with ability to play forward with his high potent goal kicking

rand corp 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:59 pm

Moore and De Goey seem the closest to selection at the moment on form.

There is an opportunity there for Freeman if he can breakthrough, needs to continue on with solid VFL performances next week or two.

Abbott sounds very exciting and has some tools, pace, size, skills but he is very raw and missed a lot of pre-season. Development year but very exciting prospect.

Marsh, coming along well, was very close to a breakthrough last season but we were missing a lot through injury - before he was injured himself.
Needs to just continue getting better and his chance will come, such a gifted athlete and such exceptional pace.

Scharenberg has missed a massive amount of footy and we just need him back playing regular games, not expecting a breakthrough this year but just want to see him have a season in the VFL were he gets better by the week and is regularly in the best towards the back of the year.

Others need to just get to playing solid footy at VFL level, not expecting them to break through but to be threatening next season.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:41 pm

Would have Freeman, Moore, and DeGoey on a par. All could play if needed but additional VFL won't hurt them.

Marsh next. Looking very settled thus far. Again additional VFL time will only improve him.

Have Goodyear, Maynard, and Manteit a way behind but only because they haven't stood out significantly in the games I've seen.

Cox is a surprise packet, still has a lot to learn but in an injury crisis you could see him being plonked at FF and having an impact. Can clunk a mark and kick a goal and is very athletic for his size. This year solely a development focus though.

Shaz and Abbott I have on the last level. Shaz has missed a lot of footy and will need to have 10-12 VFL games to find form and fitness. Abbott I just haven't seen other than the intraclub game and he was all at sea in that match.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:50 pm

good assessment jackcass. freeman to me looks a few weeks away from serious afl consideration. de goey could be named any time and i am not as enamoured as others are with playing moore so soon.

i think we'll find abbott spending 2015 in the vfl as a development year. can't see him getting elevated for any games. that's not a bad thing.

must say cox has surprised me. watching him clunk an overhead mark and kick a goal on the weekend was pleasantly surprising. obviously has so much to learn but there is a greater sense he can make it than not.

looking forward to shazza returning.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: