Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies smash Saints - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone's put the whole game up on youtube.

Collingwood v St Kilda (2015 AFL Season - Round 3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbQNQpxej7c

stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:45 am

Check out this play and effort by Varcoe. Four efforts and takes out a St Kilda player.

https://youtu.be/YbQNQpxej7c?t=5509

think better 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:56 am

stoliboy wrote:
Check out this play and effort by Varcoe. Four efforts and takes out a St Kilda player.

Varcoe was very good defensively last night - lots of follow up efforts and his tackles stuck much better than previous games. Added to that his skills are very good and at some stages early he looked like he was the on field leader showing how we should play.

Greening gold 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:00 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Great team effort.

Best players for mine were Grundy, Swanny, Pendles, Elliott, Cloke, Broomhead, Crisp, Frost, Dwyer and Varcoe.

Cloke should have had 10 goals. I can't believe a key forward of his experience is such a sloppy kick for goal. It's actually beyond a joke.

The only disappointing players for me were Gault, White and Goldsack.

Given our undermanned midfield, it was a fantastic performance....albeit against a shit team.

Agree re Gault. Dropped at least 4 marks he should have taken. Managed to be where the ball was coming in (good) but didn't get it (not good). Not sure if needs more time with the grown-ups or should have a couple of weeks back on the early shift. Wouldn't risk him next week.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:03 am

think better wrote:
stoliboy wrote:

Varcoe was very good defensively last night - lots of follow up efforts and his tackles stuck much better than previous games. Added to that his skills are very good and at some stages early he looked like he was the on field leader showing how we should play.
Best game I have seen him play, his second, third and fourth efforts at times were team lifting.
Greening gold 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:10 am

perthmagpie wrote:
Nice to win after that terrible start. The mistakes in that game were horrendous. I was laughing often. I watched on Tv though. Can someone who was there desribe how slippery the ball was?

The best part was that a midfield missing Adams, Greenwood, Sidey and Thomas had 77 inside 50's. How did that happen?

I went - will be my only game for the year as I work overseas. Hard to know how slippery the pill was - the skill levels of both teams were pretty ordinary. Let's just say the best players fumbled less than the rest. Elliott held his marks, Gault dropped his.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:15 am

think better wrote:
Frost looks increasingly like a new version of Presti

Yes absolutely.
It will be interesting to see how many goals are kicked
against him this year.
I doubt it will be more than a handful.

Stinger 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:19 am

Wokko wrote:
I'd put him just into the more positive than negative column, but yeah he's always been a bit of a butcher but he ramped butchering up to elite levels tonight Laughing

At least he's turning it over 40m upfield rather than losing the contest in D50.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:21 am

What amazed me last night was that Bucks actually changed
things up - from the kickouts, to our structure, to our player positions.
He actually did things differently.
Has he been reading Nicks?
Has he listened to the new coaches?
I don't know but I liked the results

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:04 pm

thompsoc wrote:
What amazed me last night was that Bucks actually changed
I don't know but I liked the results

I think what you're starting to see, mostly, is a number of potentially better-than average users of the football starting to find their way in the team. Ramsay, Crisp, Varcoe, Broomhead and Oxley, for example, are all in their first few games for the Club. They will still make a few errors but they all generally kick well and over good distance. The development of good decision-making (and the avoidance of clangers) takes time and hard work but they look to be getting there. Some of Ramsay's and Crisp's passing and kicking to position last night was excellent. There are more of these boys to come into the team or - like PK - to do more of it when they are there. No doubt some (perhaps many) of them won't look as good next week against better opposition but almost all of them have the potential to be upgrades on the previous models.

Also, you will have seen that Collingwood started 3 of its 4 2012 higher draft picks (Kennedy is still to come in) and Grundy and Broomhead were instrumental in the second-quarter onslaught, whilst Ramsay is starting to look like a solid, long-kicking, tenacious defender and has, in my view, played 3 good games (and, after all, just the 3rd to 5th in his career to date) in a row this season (early 50-metre brain-fade last night put to one side). Also, Oxley, Dwyer (who is a fine footballer but, given his age, can't be part of the long-term plan) and Frost were all rookied that year.

It looks like there are more good footballers to come from the 2013 and 2014 drafts, too - some them potential stars. The more of that quality that comes into the team, the more the team will be able to implement the Buckley's strategies.

I should add that, although I am very eager to see more of the next generation of players getting their chance, McCartin's debut showed precisely why Collingwood is not rushing all of the boys into the seniors until they are ready. McCartin was a number 1 draft pick and is said to be elite in all sorts of ways but on at least two occasions last night, he "passed" the ball to the man on the mark. There's a big step up from junior football to the AFL.

Last edited by Pies4shaw on Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jayel 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:07 pm

Well done boys. I enjoyed that one. From what I saw though, I would be bringing Fasolo back to replace Williams in the backline. I just can't warm to Marley. For some reason I keep thinking there is a ticker issue with him. I can't quote specific examples, it's more a feeling. We also need a tall mobile backman who doesn't have drug related issues. Reid into that what you will! Smile
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:08 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
[quote="thompsoc"]What amazed me last night was that Bucks actually changed
I don't know but I liked the results[/quote]
I think what you're starting to see, mostly, is a number of potentially better-than average users of the football starting to find their way in the team. Ramsay, Crisp, Varcoe, Broomhead and Oxley, for example, are all in their first few games for the Club. They will still make a few errors but they all generally kick well and over good distance. The development of good decision-making (and the avoidance of clangers) takes time and hard work but they look to be getting there. Some of Ramsay's and Crisp's passing and kicking to position last night was excellent. There are more of these boys to come into the team or - like PK - to do more of it when they are there. No doubt some (perhaps many) of them won't look as good next week against better opposition but almost all of them have the potential to be upgrades on the previous models.

Also, you will have seen that Collingwood started 3 of its 4 2012 higher draft picks (Kennedy is still to come in) and Grundy and Broomhead were instrumental in the second-quarter onslaught, whilst Ramsay is starting to look like a solid, long-kicking, tenacious defender and has, in my view, played 3 good games (and, after all, just the 3rd to 5th in his career to date) in a row this season (early 50-metre brain-fade last night put to one side). Also, Oxley, Dwyer (who is a fine footballer but, given his age, can't be part of the long-term plan) and Frost were all rookied that year.

It looks like there are more good footballers to come from the 2013 and 2014 drafts, too - some them potential stars. The more of that quality that comes into the team, the more the team will be able to implement the Buckley's strategies.
What makes you say that I will saw that Collingwood started 3 of its 4 2012 higher draft picks Kennedy is to come in and Grundy and Broomhead were instrumental in the second-quarter onslaught whilst Ramsay is starting to look like a solid long-kicking tenacious defender and has in his or her view played 3 good games and after all the 3rd to 5th in his career to date in a row this season 50-metre brain-fade last night put to one side.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:14 pm

Jayel wrote:
Well done boys. I enjoyed that one. From what I saw though, I would be bringing Fasolo back to replace Williams in the backline. I just can't warm to Marley. For some reason I keep thinking there is a ticker issue with him. I can't quote specific examples, it's more a feeling. We also need a tall mobile backman who doesn't have drug related issues. Reid into that what you will! Smile

I think Marley is probably too limited to have a long career. However, I do not see any "ticker" problem - to the contrary, I think he is a very hard-working and desperate defender. Fasolo is a much more skilled footballer but I don't think he can do William's lock-down job and I doubt he will get the chance any time soon.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:44 pm

Finally, long kicking out from full back, none of that short crap pocket too pocket, just long booming kicks, did my heart good too see that ol time footy back, hope we keep it up, Goldy boots it a country mile too, reminded me of Jeff Clifton and Ted Potter. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:58 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Finally, long kicking out from full back, none of that short crap pocket too pocket, just long booming kicks, did my heart good too see that ol time footy back, hope we keep it up, Goldy boots it a country mile too, reminded me of Jeff Clifton and Ted Potter. !

You must be as old as me!
Ted Potter was a great drop kick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9   

Jump to: