Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Muslims V Christians V Satanists V Conspiracy theorists V ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
This is the right place to put this, I think.

Anyone hear about the report of an Islamic school where the girls aren't allowed to run or play sport?

Quote:
When Lamisse Hamouda heard that a Melbourne Islamic school had made headlines for banning female students from running, she knew it was her former school, Al-Taqwa College, at the centre of the controversy. The 26-year-old Sydney youth worker also knew it was time to speak out about her own experience at Al-Taqwa. This is her story.

A notification popped up on my phone saying my friend had posted a link to my Facebook page. I opened it, only to find my former principal's face sternly looking back at me. I knew what the article was about as soon as I read the headline [Girls at Islamic School banned from running], and I laughed.

I laughed because I couldn't believe that Al-Taqwa College was still being run by an out-of-touch principal, Omar Hallak, who curbs the rights of female students to participate in sports by citing out-dated beliefs grounded in pseudo-science and patriarchy.

My time at Al-Taqwa College was a rollercoaster of frustrations, battles and internalising resentment. If it wasn't the insidious racism, it was the oppressive preaching of faith that rendered critical thinking lost to obedience and authoritarianism. As female students, we often copped the short end of the stick. Participation in sport was never outright forbidden, it was just ignored wherever possible. Lip service was paid to exercise and sports, and there was an attempt to designate a "female-only" basketball court. When it was usurped by the boys, as it often was, teachers shrugged, indifferent to our indignation.. The schoolyard was strictly gender-segregated, with female students relegated to spaces of concrete and picnic tables.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/former-altaqwa-islamic-school-student-lamisse-hamouda-blows-whistle-on-principals-disapproval-of-girls-sports-20150424-1ms8d9.html

The key point I took from the article is that the problem with Islam is the patriarchal, misogynist douche nozzles who get themselves in a position to call themselves a preacher (by whatever name that is). The ones who want to kill everyone who isn't on board are these same dickwads on roids.

Why are you singling out Islam? There are plenty of Christian dickwads just as blind, arrogant, misogynistic, and stupid as the Muslim fatheads running this school - start with the hard-right born again crowd and be sure to call in on the harshly authoritarian Catholic pederast of your choice on your way by.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:53 am

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
And the same goes for the Bible. *Plays carousel music*

And you accuse me of having blinkers. DOFG Rolling Eyes

Don't know much about the Bible, do you Stui. There is enough hatred, misogyny, intolerance and vile family advice in the Bible to keep any discontented former Islamic jihadi happy and busy with his weapons. You should read it some time.

(Please have the courtesy to do so in private and wash your hands afterwards - some of the Old Testament books in particular can only be described as vile, and the NT isn't all sweetness and light either.)

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:50 am

They're all brainwashed, pathetic sheep IMO. Bible, koran, 3 little pigs & snow white should all be in the dame section of the library👌
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:51 am

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

Don't know much about the Bible, do you Stui. There is enough hatred, misogyny, intolerance and vile family advice in the Bible to keep any discontented former Islamic jihadi happy and busy with his weapons. You should read it some time.

(Please have the courtesy to do so in private and wash your hands afterwards - some of the Old Testament books in particular can only be described as vile, and the NT isn't all sweetness and light either.)

Very true but I think the point is folks ain't walking around with c4 vests on, and machetes in their back pocket taking out non believers in the name of Jesus Christ. Well not on a grand scale, and certainly not in lindor cafes, or the train stations of London.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:01 pm

Yes, but all the monotheistic religions unite in the holiest (well almost) places in the world on one day of the year.

Yes, religious Muslims, Christians & Jews come together in rare union & common understanding during the annual Jerusalem Gay Pride march.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:04 pm

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

Yeah, I do. David always comes back to this and yet claims it's not him. FMD.

The point I was attempting to make was how we end up with these fundamentalist nutjobs preaching hate and medieval ways of life in the name of Islam. It starts with the misogyny and grows. And the preachers take at least some of their congregation along with them.

The bible is just as old as the Koran and contains just as much of that stuff, but I don't see many preachers running round wanting to take it all literally anymore, and the few that do are treated as jokes. What's wrong with Islam is the people preaching it was the point, following directly on from an article about an islamic school. Yet obviously incapable of rational thought, the instant defence is "Yeah, but what about everyone else".

Rolling Eyes

I'm Out, the pigeons can have it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:31 pm

Skids wrote:
They're all brainwashed, pathetic sheep IMO. Bible, koran, 3 little pigs & snow white should all be in the dame section of the library👌

And yet the ****tards doing the killing and abuse are mainly male

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:14 pm

The Quran, unlike the the Bible is inviolate, unquestionable, literal and not open to interpretation. In Islam it is the word of Allah through his prophet. While there are certainly a few bible literalists out there (A few too many in the USA), they are recognized as being anachronistic kooks by the vast majority of even the Christian world.

I don't know how Jews see their holy texts so can't comment on that but the difference between the Bibles' nonsense and the Quran's is a universe apart.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Interesting you mention the Jewsthe belief in a holy, promised land with certain geographical boundaries is one of the main motivators in their ongoing violence against the Palestinians. It's the primary reason that settlers continue to steal Palestinian land in order, in turn preventing the creation of a unified Palestinian state and encouraging further violence on both sides.

Religious fundamentalism is always dangerous. On that I agree with you, Stui. Contrary to what you might think, however, I'm not defending the backward beliefs being taught at these schools; I simply think your hypothesisthat there is a straight continuum between conservative Islamic belief and religiously-inspired violenceis too simplistic. I see it as more like a bent line, or even a jump to the side.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:44 am

Wokko wrote:
The Quran, unlike the the Bible is inviolate, unquestionable, literal and not open to interpretation. In Islam it is the word of Allah through his prophet. While there are certainly a few bible literalists out there (A few too many in the USA), they are recognized as being anachronistic kooks by the vast majority of even the Christian world.

Jesus H. Christ on a bicycle, man. Where do we start?

Most people don't have the slightest grasp of the numbers, which is one of the main reasons why the fantasy that this is not a general human problem can be sustained without spontaneous outpourings of laughter.

A few? Hundreds of millions of Christians right across the world hold fundamentalist positions on a whole host of issues, from biblical authority to science, national destiny, parenting, sexuality, environmental dominion and gender roles.

You're comparing the substantially cultural Christianity around you in post-theocratic, very wealthy countries, with religion from societies still undergoing hierarchical industrialisation, urbanisation in many cases, and recovery from historical violence and dysfunction.

Please tell me that, Southern US stereotypes and Hillsong aside, you don't believe Christianity across the planet looks much like the Uniting Church down the road. In addition to the fundamentalists from wealthy countries, almost everywhere Christianity is growing or is still vigorousfrom Latin America, to Africa, to the Pacific Islands, to East and Southeast Asia, to Eastern Europe and no doubt a lot of China by nowthe religion is dominated by fundamentalist views. And not only do such fundamentalist views often dominate entire countries and provinces, their proponents are, as always, fighting tooth and nail to impose those views on everyone else.

Christianity has only held its numbers over the past century precisely because of the popularity of fundamentalist brands of Christianity of various persuasions in developing countries. Even the very same denominations you might think you know well can looking nothing like they do once introduced to other countries.

Hundreds of millions more non-Christian, non-Muslim folk hold other kinds of fundamentalist views. Fundamentalism is what humans under certain actual or imagined stressors resort to, aided in some cases by very common and very universally-distributed genetic tendencies.

The same defensive, small folk will keep repeating the same cringeworthy, flat-earth nonsense about some TV-based mental concept labelled "Muslim" they carry about in their heads if they don't find a way beyond the infantile produced media, and the "opinions" of bum-slapping airheads who know nothing about the big bad world.

But, as I say, without the incentive to rationality all the facts, logic and experience in the world won't make a jot of difference.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:50 am

Great post, PTID.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks for your support. Why, specificially?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:36 pm

David wrote:
Great post, PTID.

Except it's not. Show me all these so called "Christian Fundamentalists" who are following the laws of Leviticus or Deutoronomy, who are keeping slaves or pimping out their daughters. Even the most hardcore of Christians are willing to give themselves some wiggle room when it comes to their holy book, hell they even let more than a few of Jesus' teachings from the Gospels slide. You would be very hard pressed to find even a small sect of 100% pure Biblical literalists anywhere in the World. Even the Latin mass crowd who dismiss Vatican 2 don't follow everything.

Sure, there are many who think the world is 6000 years old and everything was created in 7 days and all the archeological and paleontological record was also created by God but even those people wont put a woman on her period up in a tree.

The Quran however has many, many people who follow it as the 100% literal word of Allah and see any interpretation, even of the obviously allegorical portions of the book as being against the word of Allah. Sure, they fight about which of Mohammed's descendants had the right ideas but on the book there aren't too many questions.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:54 pm

Really interesting that none of you so quick to condemn 'Muslim fundamentalism' bothered to raise the case of the Christian minister a couple of weeks ago telling primary school kids in his weekly sermon at Airport West that Jill Meagher would still be alive if she was a good chaste Christian women.

As for the Koran not being open to interpretation...give it a spell Rolling Eyes
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:19 pm

nomadjack wrote:
Really interesting that none of you so quick to condemn 'Muslim fundamentalism' bothered to raise the case of the Christian minister a couple of weeks ago telling primary school kids in his weekly sermon at Airport West that Jill Meagher would still be alive if she was a good chaste Christian women.

As for the Koran not being open to interpretation...give it a spell Rolling Eyes

I didn't even hear that first thing, but even if what he says is true (David Hookes would still be alive if he was a good, non drinking Muslim too, it's a stupid thing to say regardless) I don't recall there being anything said about her not being just what he said (she was a married woman and her religion or lack of wasn't published.) I'd put those comments in the same area as the 'uncovered meat' from that Mufti bloke.

As for your last, I never said it wasn't 'open to interpretation' (if I used those exact words then I am certainly guilty of misrepresenting my own point of view Laughing) , because Islamic scholars do indeed 'interpret' the words, my point is that those words are to be taken literally as the word of Allah and even allegory is better off being taken on faith as literal than misinterpreted as fable.

On the other hand the Bible is not taken literally by the majority of the Christian world, and even those who do see it as a literal, historic record will still not directly follow what it has to say.

*Edit* I see where I used the word 'interpretation' where something else would've been more accurate. I should proof read more thoroughly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13   

Jump to: