Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Muslims V Christians V Satanists V Conspiracy theorists V ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:00 pm
Post subject: Re: Muslims V ChristiansReply with quote

Kingswood wrote:
how is everybody? Razz

Congratulations on the first post not racially maligning Muslims since Tony Abbott started sliding in the polls a year ago!

Where are you these days?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What

Did you read his post? Did you not see it? Did you not read between the lines?

It's all there in the small print!

Talk about choosing your battles, huh

(Welcome back, where you been?)

Last edited by think positive on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:04 pm

Kingswood wrote:
how is everybody? Razz

Hey Kingswood. Great to see you back. Smile

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:51 pm

Kingswood wrote:
how is everybody? Razz

i'm good, welcome back, where you been?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:04 pm

This is the right place to put this, I think.

Anyone hear about the report of an Islamic school where the girls aren't allowed to run or play sport?

Quote:
When Lamisse Hamouda heard that a Melbourne Islamic school had made headlines for banning female students from running, she knew it was her former school, Al-Taqwa College, at the centre of the controversy. The 26-year-old Sydney youth worker also knew it was time to speak out about her own experience at Al-Taqwa. This is her story.

A notification popped up on my phone saying my friend had posted a link to my Facebook page. I opened it, only to find my former principal's face sternly looking back at me. I knew what the article was about as soon as I read the headline [Girls at Islamic School banned from running], and I laughed.

I laughed because I couldn't believe that Al-Taqwa College was still being run by an out-of-touch principal, Omar Hallak, who curbs the rights of female students to participate in sports by citing out-dated beliefs grounded in pseudo-science and patriarchy.

My time at Al-Taqwa College was a rollercoaster of frustrations, battles and internalising resentment. If it wasn't the insidious racism, it was the oppressive preaching of faith that rendered critical thinking lost to obedience and authoritarianism. As female students, we often copped the short end of the stick. Participation in sport was never outright forbidden, it was just ignored wherever possible. Lip service was paid to exercise and sports, and there was an attempt to designate a "female-only" basketball court. When it was usurped by the boys, as it often was, teachers shrugged, indifferent to our indignation.. The schoolyard was strictly gender-segregated, with female students relegated to spaces of concrete and picnic tables.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/former-altaqwa-islamic-school-student-lamisse-hamouda-blows-whistle-on-principals-disapproval-of-girls-sports-20150424-1ms8d9.html

The key point I took from the article is that the problem with Islam is the patriarchal, misogynist douche nozzles who get themselves in a position to call themselves a preacher (by whatever name that is). The ones who want to kill everyone who isn't on board are these same dickwads on roids.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:09 pm

Gees and that's in Melbourne? Scary shit
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:17 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Kingswood wrote:
how is everybody? Razz

i'm good, welcome back, where you been?

Kingswood Country of course you silly sausage Razz

Welcome back!

David Libra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:04 pm

stui magpie wrote:
This is the right place to put this, I think.

Anyone hear about the report of an Islamic school where the girls aren't allowed to run or play sport?

Quote:
When Lamisse Hamouda heard that a Melbourne Islamic school had made headlines for banning female students from running, she knew it was her former school, Al-Taqwa College, at the centre of the controversy. The 26-year-old Sydney youth worker also knew it was time to speak out about her own experience at Al-Taqwa. This is her story.

A notification popped up on my phone saying my friend had posted a link to my Facebook page. I opened it, only to find my former principal's face sternly looking back at me. I knew what the article was about as soon as I read the headline [Girls at Islamic School banned from running], and I laughed.

I laughed because I couldn't believe that Al-Taqwa College was still being run by an out-of-touch principal, Omar Hallak, who curbs the rights of female students to participate in sports by citing out-dated beliefs grounded in pseudo-science and patriarchy.

My time at Al-Taqwa College was a rollercoaster of frustrations, battles and internalising resentment. If it wasn't the insidious racism, it was the oppressive preaching of faith that rendered critical thinking lost to obedience and authoritarianism. As female students, we often copped the short end of the stick. Participation in sport was never outright forbidden, it was just ignored wherever possible. Lip service was paid to exercise and sports, and there was an attempt to designate a "female-only" basketball court. When it was usurped by the boys, as it often was, teachers shrugged, indifferent to our indignation.. The schoolyard was strictly gender-segregated, with female students relegated to spaces of concrete and picnic tables.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/former-altaqwa-islamic-school-student-lamisse-hamouda-blows-whistle-on-principals-disapproval-of-girls-sports-20150424-1ms8d9.html

The key point I took from the article is that the problem with Islam is the patriarchal, misogynist douche nozzles who get themselves in a position to call themselves a preacher (by whatever name that is). The ones who want to kill everyone who isn't on board are these same dickwads on roids.

I don't really see the link between the two things. Religions (even 'nice' ones like Buddhism) and sexism go hand in hand. Gender equality has only really happened in Western societies along with the secularisation of the post-industrial revolution era.

Murderous fundamentalists are more than just ultra-conservative, which would be the case if they were merely 'these same dickwads on roids'; there's a specifically fanatical aspect to them. They're more Hillsong than Latin mass Catholics, if you get my drift.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:04 pm

David wrote:

I don't really see the link between the two things.
Yup.
David Libra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:36 pm

Take the cultural blinkers off and you'll see that "oppressing women" and "slaughtering the heathens" aren't necessarily two sides of the same coin. The second is a very specific phenomenon related to extreme social dysfunction; the first is pretty much the universal condition of human society until about a century ago.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:46 pm

Take the rose coloured glasses off and you'll see that the literalistic interpretation of the Koran puts the misogynists only a couple of steps away from the terrorists.
David Libra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:15 am

And the same goes for the Bible. *Plays carousel music*
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:06 am

David wrote:

Indeed. It's pissing in the wind:

1. Has financial incentive for Abbott and the glibs to be elected
2. Knows absolutely nothing about Muslims personally, so avoids any emotional triggers
3. Knows absolutely nothing about Muslim countries and sub-groups, so can sustain whatever fantasy works
4. Knows next-to-nothing about Christianity, so can sustain whatever fantasy works
5. Knows next-to-nothing scientifically about Homo sapiens, so can sustain whatever fantasy works
6. Knows there is social benefit from vilifying maligned outsiders, and only social cost from supporting them
7. Knows will not personally have to fight a war, and if the Glibs stay in power will be less likely to pay for it
8. Has made the calculation that any ill effects which could arise will fall on others

What would you expect from that equation? The selfish calculation is made, and the arbitrary blabber follows.

Of course, there are a lot of flaws in the calculation due to the ignorance, but that is sustained by the ego.

This is the kind of gamble the conservative brain took with global warming, Afghanistan, Iraq, fossil fuels, the NBN, etc. And on they go, lacking any incentive to impose more complex calculation on a whole host of matters. And if someone lacks incentive, there is zero, absolutely zero, you can do for them.

It's almost becoming a bit like drink driving. If you kill someone, you're liable no matter how drunk. Call it manslaughter if you will, but you've just gambled with more lives than your own. In the same way, if you have trapped yourself in a destructive incentive system, you have to take some responsibility to move yourself into a more productive incentive system.

Once you put all your money in fossil fuels, or depend on negative gearing, or invest in a for-profit university, or put your ego behind a certain party winning the election, or emotionally commit to an ideological in-group such as a religious community, or rely on a certain tax arrangement, or get your ego from racist social groups, or enter medicine hoping to turn your clinic into a for-profit business treating only the wealthy, or commit to something that gives you no time to learn about the vast complexity of the world, or work 18 hours a day in the hope of earning millions despite being an absent parent, or invest in war-dependent stocks, or whatever, from a certain POV your rational capacity is now compromised and you're drink driving. You've thrown away the incentive to rationality by vesting your brain to very limited, destructive ends.

Once you've made the bet, to pull out and declare sunk costs takes more maturity and wherewithal than most people can muster. Instead of seeking new challenges and opportunities for growth, they're much more likely to claim that drink-driving is actually beneficial, and double-down on the blabber.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:41 am

welcome back, kingy, things just got a little less uptight in here Smile
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:01 am

David wrote:

And you accuse me of having blinkers. DOFG Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13   

Jump to: